ADVERTISEMENT

Ideas to reform medicaid

I’m talking about one aspect of the program
Yes, one aspect that affects the elderly, the disabled, the pregnant, you know, all the ****ing vulnerable people that are on Medicaid. What a genius plan, making this country better by making the poorest pay up, oh and an occasional deadbeat who won't go to a clinic.

Reactions: ryan2144
Who are you trying to punish? Poor people or irresponsible people? Because irresponsible people aren’t going to pay anyway.
This issue isn’t nearly as simple as just trying to punish people using the ER for non emergency health care. If you’re poor and your ride works during office hours what options are there? If you’re uneducated and your child spikes a fever at midnight do you know the ways of accessing care without going to the ER? Should we only charge those with shitty tattoos and new cell phones?
I don’t know, I’d much rather support people in making healthy choices than punish them for the times they don’t.

I can't find the requirement for an annual physical exam to receive Medicaid. Do you have a link?
I don't have a link to that, I just know someone who was on medicaid in Iowa, and lost it for their refusal to do an annual check up. He had to skip it for more than 1 year to get kicked off.

You are so clueless, nursing homes across the country are closing because of low Medicaid reimbursements because of idiots who are going after all this misuse. Again, you have no idea where the Medicaid funds are going or who the are helping.
Sure i do, that bald pencil neck prick con senator from Fl who stole millions and his wife and there are 1000s just like him.

1) Any ER visit will cost $50 out of pocket for those on then government tit. This would hopefully keep people from abusing their government paid for insurance, as well as ER departments

2) Every visit to a healthcare provider costs $15. Again, have some skin in the game.

3) Double the taxes on cigarettes, alcohol, pop, junk food, add a tax to fast food. Self explanatory.

4) Revisit Michelle Obama’s lunch program, tweak it a bit to add more protein.
5) Teach fitness and nutrition for 2 periods a day, starting in 1st grade. Maybe the kids can guilt thief parents into actually giving a damn about those two subjects.
ER visits should be more. Too many use ERs as an urgent care or dr's office. Making it cheaper encourages more of that.

#3...no.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
ER visits should be more. Too many use ERs as an urgent care or dr's office. Making it cheaper encourages more of that.

#3...no.
Regarding urgent care vs ER, i believe in many locales, especially, rural, they are the same place and it is the provider documentation and hospital business office that make the determination of whether it was an ER or urgent care visit. You might not even know until several weeks later whether you “went to the ER” or “went to urgent care.”

Reactions: RileyHawk
Who are you trying to punish? Poor people or irresponsible people? Because irresponsible people aren’t going to pay anyway.
This issue isn’t nearly as simple as just trying to punish people using the ER for non emergency health care. If you’re poor and your ride works during office hours what options are there? If you’re uneducated and your child spikes a fever at midnight do you know the ways of accessing care without going to the ER? Should we only charge those with shitty tattoos and new cell phones?
I don’t know, I’d much rather support people in making healthy choices than punish them for the times they don’t.
Incentives could work, but in think peopl
Regarding urgent care vs ER, i believe in many locales, especially, rural, they are the same place and it is the provider documentation and hospital business office that make the determination of whether it was an ER or urgent care visit. You might not even know until several weeks later whether you “went to the ER” or “went to urgent care.”
they are in separate locations in the local hospitals, different providers.

Reactions: JMNSHO
If they stop consuming it; they would be healthier
Exactly. Less consumption = better health outcomes.

Let's say the demand is inelastic and people continue to consume those things in the same quantities. The extra tax will generate the revenue necessary to provide for their care.

The only two problems is see with this are:
1. People with lower incomes consume these items in greater proportion, resulting in a very regressive tax.
2. Save for alcohol and tobacco, it's hard to define "junk" foods (orange juice has just as much sugar as soda).

Reactions: ClarindaA's
https://dhs.iowa.gov/IHAWP/healthy-behaviors I went ahead and googled it for you since you were interested.
Thanks for the link. Seems it depends on your income if you get kicked out of the program. Also, it appears it takes either a annual health exam or dental exam to check off the requirement. Also of note, there is a charge ($8) for using the ER for non-emergencies.

WHAT WILL IT COST ME TO BE IN THE IOWA HEALTH AND WELLNESS PLAN PROGRAM?

All Iowa Health and Wellness Plan members can receive free* or low cost healthcare if they choose to take specific steps to protect their health and complete what are known as Healthy Behaviors. To participate in the Healthy Behaviors program and avoid paying a monthly contribution after the first year of coverage, each year Iowa Health and Wellness Plan members must get a wellness exam or get a dental exam, and they must complete a Health Risk Assessment.

Members who do not complete their Healthy Behaviors every year may be required to pay a small monthly contribution of either $5 or $10 depending on their family income.

Members who do not complete their Healthy Behaviors and do not pay their monthly bill after 90 days, depending on their income, may be disenrolled from the Iowa Health and Wellness Plan.

* There are very few, or no, out-of-pocket costs for the first year and very few costs after that. Depending on your family income, a small monthly premium might be required. There is an $8 co-pay for using the emergency room for non-emergency services.

WHO WILL BE ASKED TO PAY A MONTHLY CONTRIBUTION?

Some Iowa Health and Wellness Plan members will be asked to pay a monthly contribution.
  • Individuals with income 0-50 percent of the Federal Poverty Level: No Contribution, per state legislation.
  • Individuals with income 51-100 percent of the Federal Poverty Level: $5 monthly contribution, or $60 annually.
  • Individuals with income 101-133 percent of the Federal Poverty Level: $10 monthly contribution, or $120 annually.
Individuals who are medically exempt, Alaskan Native or American Indian are also exempt from the monthly contributions.

Charging more doesn’t fix anything.

reducing costs is what is needed. Electronic medical record and AI I think are only hope. Nobody is going to take a pay cut.

Those are not really reforms. They are more like revisions and in the end, they are simply price hikes.

... Nothing dramatic that would change the underlying dynamics of Medicaid ... really just tinkering with the pricing, and in the end simply creating a billing system that will result in sending bills out to people who do not have the money to pay them. Administering this program will cost as much as what is ultimately collected.

Reform the program and most importantly disconnect it from Obamacare, so that this stuff can be out in the open and we know who is paying for what. Right now, it appears to be a massive bureaucracy designed to provide healthcare for the indigent and doing so while hiding the true costs.

Reform? Why not really reform Medicaid and then eliminate Obamacare.

That would move the needle on this stuff.

Those are not really reforms. They are more like revisions and in the end, they are simply price hikes.

... Nothing dramatic that would change the underlying dynamics of Medicaid ... really just tinkering with the pricing, and in the end simply creating a billing system that will result in sending bills out to people who do not have the money to pay them. Administering this program will cost as much as what is ultimately collected.

Reform the program and most importantly disconnect it from Obamacare, so that this stuff can be out in the open and we know who is paying for what. Right now, it appears to be a massive bureaucracy designed to provide healthcare for the indigent and doing so while hiding the true costs.

Reform? Why not really reform Medicaid and then eliminate Obamacare.

That would move the needle on this stuff.
Which is what Obama wanted to do but the GOP and a few Dems refused to do (remember the "public option"?) Adoption of a public option would have opened up a lot of "MedicCare pricing" for scrutiny.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT