ADVERTISEMENT

If Alabama and Clemson played a 9 game Schedule against the top Big 10 teams?

DEREKoh2

HR MVP
Jun 2, 2018
What would their records be? Split home and away evenly. For this exercise? Thoughts?

Last edited:
If each had to play on the road at Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State? That would interesting.

1 loss between the two teams.
Don't know about that. What is so hard to evaluate is the cumlative effect of playing these teams especially several in a row. Bama almost never plays a game outside the south in any season and always has a pushover non con game to split up their conference season. This is by design. You really don't think a November game at Happy Valley, of the Shoe, or even a late season night game in Kinnick like the one against PSU years ago where it was about 10 degrees would have any negative effect on their players? o_O

Great question. Playing at OSU or Michigan in November would be a test for sure. Hell playing Iowa or Wisconsin at night in November as well. All depends on the schedule.
Exactly. Its not if they could beat those teams, but what if they had them all with several in November if its one of those years where it gets bad and cold early........

Don't know about that. What is so hard to evaluate is the cumlative effect of playing these teams especially several in a row. Bama almost never plays a game outside the south in any season and always has a pushover non con game to split up their conference season. This is by design. You really don't think a November game at Happy Valley, of the Shoe, or even a late season night game in Kinnick like the one against PSU years ago where it was about 10 degrees would have any negative effect on their players? o_O

The conditions you laid out doesn’t move the needle that much, at least to me. Clemson and Alabama are on their own level talent wise right now. Just one humble man’s opinion

Reactions: 59DAWG
I agree. Wouldn’t it be cool to see either under the lights at Kinnick? I’m thinking a Vegas line for either would be -22.

This may sound crazy but I personally think ISU would have a better chance than Oklahoma. ISU has a good D. Now if their Oline is like last year then blowout. But, Okie has zero defense. Zero. Alabama could have scored 100 if they wanted last year. Was it the first 4 drives were all TD’s then they got complacent. ISU can tackle. I know it sounds nuts but you can’t get in a track meet with those teams. I remember that Miami-ND bowl game a few years back and it was cold as hell and Miami wanted zero to do with tackling. I know Alabama and Clemson are different but wind and about 15 degrees and spitting snow would be interesting.

This may sound crazy but I personally think ISU would have a better chance than Oklahoma. ISU has a good D. Now if their Oline is like last year then blowout. But, Okie has zero defense. Zero. Alabama could have scored 100 if they wanted last year. Was it the first 4 drives were all TD’s then they got complacent. ISU can tackle. I know it sounds nuts but you can’t get in a track meet with those teams. I remember that Miami-ND bowl game a few years back and it was cold as hell and Miami wanted zero to do with tackling. I know Alabama and Clemson are different but wind and about 15 degrees and spitting snow would be interesting.

Yes, you’re crazy. ISU’s offense was ranked in the 80’s last year, similar to Miss St, but their defense wasn’t nearly as good. Alabama beat MSU 24-0 last year. Maybe a similar type of ballgame but the margin would be wider.

Outback - don’t forget the refs and our Super Bowl is why they lost. Their game cancel is not borne out at all. Their best drive was their first. They didn’t have a bunch of penalties or turnovers. They had tape on us and we had players hurt in the first game and some playing their first game (because our players actually serve suspensions unlike ISU). Fact is we made adjustments and their Oline could have played 20 games and would have been abused by us. Plus, we won by double digits.

And on their messiah QB. That is on their Coach for being an idiot if he was so good Hell they were running their starting QB out on 1 leg to try and win and got him way more injured. And then they put in another QB for Iowa and more games before getting to Jesus. So not playing their savior shows their coach can’t judge talent.

Being a true freshman, Purdy wasn’t ready to lead the team until they played him. Not too hard to figure out...

I guess. Then tell your brethren if he played you wouldn’t have won anyway. Oh well who cares the game was played and ISU lost by double digits which Psycho Twins when Iowa loses by double digits says is a total blowout. Just another excuse. And what is hard to figure out is how you keep track of all the excuses for losing. Iowa can’t control the weather, the refs, Purdy’s age, Campbell’s decisions or your porous Oline. What Iowa can control is the game that is actually played and kicking your ass little brother.

Only OSU might split.
Somewhat agree. With those MONSTER 2017 and 2018 classes, OSU has as much talent as anybody in the country. And even though they only had 17 recruits in their 2019 class, they had the 3rd highest average/recruit (all from 247 Sports). Urban left that program in super great shape.

With that said, Ryan Day is no Urban Meyer. Yes, he's a dynamic offensive coach but let's wait and see how 2019 turns out for OSU and Day. Their defense in 2017 and 2018 SUCKED. He better improve that part of OSU's play or they could be in for a long season. Not saying they'll fold up or anything as - like it or not - OSU will always be good.

Somewhat agree. With those MONSTER 2017 and 2018 classes, OSU has as much talent as anybody in the country. And even though they only had 17 recruits in their 2019 class, they had the 3rd highest average/recruit (all from 247 Sports). Urban left that program in super great shape.

With that said, Ryan Day is no Urban Meyer. Yes, he's a dynamic offensive coach but let's wait and see how 2019 turns out for OSU and Day. Their defense in 2017 and 2018 SUCKED. He better improve that part of OSU's play or they could be in for a long season. Not saying they'll fold up or anything as - like it or not - OSU will always be good.
Like Riley at Oklahoma. Great offensive mind. Dynamic QB. But their defense was borderline embarrassing. They had the talent but it was as if no one taught them how to tackle.

If Iowa can win the West it might be the year to upset OSU in Day's first year. Assuming OSU wins the division.

Like Riley at Oklahoma. Great offensive mind. Dynamic QB. But their defense was borderline embarrassing. They had the talent but it was as if no one taught them how to tackle.

If Iowa can win the West it might be the year to upset OSU in Day's first year. Assuming OSU wins the division.
You're spot on about their defense. Their defensive results over the last couple of years was almost criminal considering the talent on that unit. The difference between Urban and Saban was that Urban hired friends and relatives and stuck with them no matter what.....Schiano, Bill Davis (his best man), and of course everyone dip$hit - Zach Smith who was Earle Bruce's grandson. Saban will fire an assistant in a heartbeat. The first thing Day did when he took over was force out the entire defensive staff out (except Larry Johnson).

The B1G will be interesting this year as I believe it is as wide open as it's been in awhile. And yes, the West could very well win the conference. Michigan and PSU will be definite players in the East as well. I still think OSU will be the favorite but maybe just a slight favorite unlike in past years

Great question. Playing at OSU or Michigan in November would be a test for sure. Hell playing Iowa or Wisconsin at night in November as well. All depends on the schedule.

Yeah, if either had to play two road games in November against any combination of OSU, Mich, MSU, PSU, Iowa, WI, or even NW they'd probably find themselves in a dogfight at least. Clemson might be affected more than Alabama with their passing game. Bama, with their running game and D, would be pretty well suited for the cold, rain, wind, and snow.

Could they? Absolutely. Just ask OSU......:cool:
Agree, any decent program has a shot at the premier ones (Bama, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, OSU etc...) at home. I believe Bama lost 2 years in a row to Mississippi (or maybe Mississippi State) during the 2013 era (or around there) which was kind of shocking but Mississippi had some decent talent. No team is unbeatable.

Agree, any decent program has a shot at the premier ones (Bama, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, OSU etc...) at home. I believe Bama lost 2 years in a row to Mississippi (or maybe Mississippi State) during the 2013 era (or around there) which was kind of shocking but Mississippi had some decent talent. No team is unbeatable.
This, and Iowa has been known to unleash some Kinnick magic on heavy favorites at home, especially after the frost has been on the old pumpkin. Don't take Meyer and his confused look for it, ask Michigan or top 5 ranked PSU a couple of times.......

You're spot on about their defense. Their defensive results over the last couple of years was almost criminal considering the talent on that unit. The difference between Urban and Saban was that Urban hired friends and relatives and stuck with them no matter what.....Schiano, Bill Davis (his best man), and of course everyone dip$hit - Zach Smith who was Earle Bruce's grandson. Saban will fire an assistant in a heartbeat. The first thing Day did when he took over was force out the entire defensive staff out (except Larry Johnson).

The B1G will be interesting this year as I believe it is as wide open as it's been in awhile. And yes, the West could very well win the conference. Michigan and PSU will be definite players in the East as well. I still think OSU will be the favorite but maybe just a slight favorite unlike in past years

Wolv1972,
You get the "Know your enemy badge" for the day! lol
Your analysis was spot on, Urban should've fired Davis and Schiano right after the Iowa debacle in 17, but he didn't and it came back to bite him in the ass against Purdue the next year. Ryan Day did go 3-0 before Urb came back, but I noticed when Urban returned for the Tulane game( I was there) and while people were happy he was back, it just didn't seem the same( a 100 year old band member had a better reception than when Urban came out with the team). I am really anxious to see what the new defensive staff is able to do with the D this season, anything will be better than what was on the field last year.

I do think that OSU is still the favorite, but it will be a dogfight in the East and in the West this year, from top to bottom I think the BIG is better than the SEC and definitely better than the ACC.

Tua (Bama) was 14 - 21 for 164 yards 1 TD 1 Pick vs Miss State at home in Nov 2018.

Nate Stanley was 21 - 31 for 214 yards 3 TDs and 1 Pick in the bowl game.

Main difference was Bama had a run game against MSU and Hawks did not.

Just a common opponent from last season.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Tua (Bama) was 14 - 21 for 164 yards 1 TD 1 Pick vs Miss State at home in Nov 2018.

Nate Stanley was 21 - 31 for 214 yards 3 TDs and 1 Pick in the bowl game.

Main difference was Bama had a run game against MSU and Hawks did not.

Just a common opponent from last season.

Had Iowa been able to run, Stanley’s line probably mirrors Tua’s line.

ADVERTISEMENT