ADVERTISEMENT

If Ferentz was fired wouldn’t Ferentz be the best candidate to replace himself?

Razorhawk2

HR MVP
Feb 9, 2016
For those who dislike Ferentz who do you want to coach Iowa? Be realistic.

Last edited:
Jim Leonard would just use Iowa as a steppingstone to prove himself until Chryst retires and he could take over Wisconsin.

Yeah, when Chyst retires in probably 15 years? Chryst is in his early 50s. I'd take him.

Jim Leonard would just use Iowa as a steppingstone to prove himself until Chryst retires and he could take over Wisconsin.
Chryst is only 53 and a Madison native. He’s not going anywhere anytime soon. May be 15 years before Wisconsin needs a coach.

I could go with rehiring Kirk as long as he rehires Parker for DC and didn't rehire his son to be OC. How about scouring the country to find someone who knows how to call plays on offense during a game?

I could go with rehiring Kirk as long as he rehires Parker for DC and didn't rehire his son to be OC. How about scouring the country to find someone who knows how to call plays on offense during a game?
They have an OC on staff although he’s coaching the o-line. Does it really matter? With Kirk in charge even the best OC won’t get full rein.

They have an OC on staff although he’s coaching the o-line. Does it really matter? With Kirk in charge even the best OC won’t get full rein.

I know, it's maddening. If Kirk would just get out of his own way and find a quality OC who knows what he's doing this Iowa team could be really good. It's such a shame to let a season go to waste because of stubbornness ... again ... and again ... and again.

To the Ferentz haters who do you want to coach Iowa? Be realistic.
Get over yourself. I get sick of people being called a “hater” because they criticize someone/something. I really doubt anyone here hates Kirk.

Besides, Kirk will have to be replaced some day. How is speculating about his replacement making someone a “hater” of Kirk? Unless of course, you just want to hand the reins over to Brian because, you know, Ferentz.

I was on the Brock Spack train several years ago, but he’s getting up there in age, 57 years old.

I think there are younger, more proven entities out there.

What? This guy was 18-16 in the previous three seasons to this one at Illinois State. Hell, you might as well hire Mark Farley.

Some people act as if Iowa football would close its doors if there were no more Kirk Ferentz. That's just a little tiny bit insane. There was Iowa football before KF, and there will be Iowa football after him, whenever that may be. Unless, of course, you truly believe there is no other human being on the planet capable of losing seven straight winnable games in the Big Ten, a streak Iowa is currently riding.

The Hawkeye football program needs a new voice, a new face, new energy and enthusiasm that only a new coach can bring. KF 2.0 and 3.0 and whatever haven't worked--at all.

When Iowa is constantly looking up at the likes of Northwestern (last year), Minnesota (this year) and Wisconsin (every year), doesn't it seem as if it just might be time for a change? Or maybe it's just me....

Some people act as if Iowa football would close its doors if there were no more Kirk Ferentz. That's just a little tiny bit insane. There was Iowa football before KF, and there will be Iowa football after him, whenever that may be. Unless, of course, you truly believe there is no other human being on the planet capable of losing seven straight winnable games in the Big Ten, a streak Iowa is currently riding.

The Hawkeye football program needs a new voice, a new face, new energy and enthusiasm that only a new coach can bring. KF 2.0 and 3.0 and whatever haven't worked--at all.

When Iowa is constantly looking up at the likes of Northwestern (last year), Minnesota (this year) and Wisconsin (every year), doesn't it seem as if it just might be time for a change? Or maybe it's just me....
But.......but....Kirk is a nice guy...be careful what you wish for...remember what happened when we ran Tom Davis out of town...Iowa can’t compete with the elite schools...no decent coach would want to come here...the ‘60s and ‘70s, etc.

What? This guy was 18-16 in the previous three seasons to this one at Illinois State. Hell, you might as well hire Mark Farley.
Notice I said several years ago. Before the recent leveling-off.

His profile has definitely lost some luster, despite the Redbirds now being back in the Top Ten in FCS.

I was a Spack fan more because of his work at Purdue, but he showed some chops as a head coach turning Illinois State around.

Notice I said several years ago. Before the recent leveling-off.

His profile has definitely lost some luster, despite the Redbirds now being back in the Top Ten in FCS.

I was a Spack fan more because of his work at Purdue, but he showed some chops as a head coach turning Illinois State around.

Well he won't even be a consideration. Iowa will have better options than this guy.

Well he won't even be a consideration. Iowa will have better options than this guy.
Agreed, which is what I said in the last part of the first post you quoted;

“I think there are younger, more proven entities out there.”

Every OC we have had since Kirk got here has run the same boring offense!! It really doesn't matter who they bring in when Kirk is the one calling the shots!

I know, it's maddening. If Kirk would just get out of his own way and find a quality OC who knows what he's doing this Iowa team could be really good. It's such a shame to let a season go to waste because of stubbornness ... again ... and again ... and again.

KF is having the same problems that JoePa (football discussion only) in his last several years. He has hired a bunch of yes-men as his assistants. In order to be a successful head coach in your golden years, when you're on the cusp of dementia, you need to go out and get assistants that are smarter than you.

Can you imagine how the national media would react if Iowa were to fire a coach that has lead us to an average of 9 wins the last 4 years, two big ten championships, 2 undefeated big ten seasons, 5 top 10 finishes, 2 outland winners, 2 Mackey winners, an O'Brien award winner, a future NFL defensive MVP and 3 current NFL All-Pro players? Oh...and a team that has been in the top 25 all season?

Good luck selling that to a top of the line candidates. KF may be the most respected coach in all of college football, run him out and we're a laughing stock among media and the coaching fraternity. No coach worth a sh1t is coming here if you fire KF.

The problem is that he will likely hand-cuff any OC that he takes on in favor of slowing the game, winning the time of possession, and not turning over the ball. Playing a slow, controlled, field possession game is Kirk's M.O., it just seems that that should be more of a game plan against some teams, rather than a one size fits all system as it has cost as many wins as it has gained.
Fleck seems to believe in many of those same philosophies as well, but I am really impressed with what he is going right now.

Can you imagine how the national media would react if Iowa were to fire a coach that has lead us to an average of 9 wins the last 4 years, two big ten championships, 2 undefeated big ten seasons, 5 top 10 finishes, 2 outland winners, 2 Mackey winners, an O'Brien award winner, a future NFL defensive MVP and 3 current NFL All-Pro players? Oh...and a team that has been in the top 25 all season?

Good luck selling that to a top of the line candidates. KF may be the most respected coach in all of college football, run him out and we're a laughing stock among media and the coaching fraternity. No coach worth a sh1t is coming here if you fire KF.
He’s respected because he’s not an ass of a coach. He respects his opponent which in turn garners the respect of others. It’s not because he’s great as a coach.

Reactions: Niko13 and hawki93
It would be nice to "encourage" Kirk to retire after next year. Let the entire 2020 season be dedicated to him(he deserves it) and every other Big 10 coach can praise him throughout the season as Iowa plays their schedule. Kinda like Kobe or Dwayne Wade did. I think it would be a fitting send off to a guy who has done a lot for college football. It may even warrant a College GameDay visit! Good press for the school, good press for the coach.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks KF is ever actually going to be fired. We can only hope that he will recognize when it's time to go and not force the administration to "encourage" him to retire or let his contract just run out a la Tom Davis. Even if he were an actual candidate for a termination, our gutless gelding of an A.D. would never be able to pull it off. I'm still amazed he canned Lickliter.

Reactions: Thunderlips71

According to our AD, that's exactly what he did during our nationwide OC search when he hired Brian Ferentz.

Cue Barta and KF drinking Guiness and repeating to each other "Brilliant!!……..Brilliant!!!"

Reactions: Eternal Return
I don't think anyone seriously thinks KF is ever actually going to be fired. We can only hope that he will recognize when it's time to go and not force the administration to "encourage" him to retire or let his contract just run out a la Tom Davis. Even if he were an actual candidate for a termination, our gutless gelding of an A.D. would never be able to pull it off. I'm still amazed he canned Lickliter.

Totally agree with this I don't think even the biggest Ferentz haters would say he's ever going to get fired. I think the worst case scenario might be a Lloyd Carr situation.

Oh puh-leez.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145

How 'bout instead he becomes the "Anti-Alvarez" - comes to Iowa and makes the Iowa football program a better version of Wisconsin's? Then he becomes A.D. and makes Iowa better than Wisconsin in every sport? That'd be cool.

ADVERTISEMENT