ADVERTISEMENT

If fix beats gross...

I still believe Fix or Suriano maybe both will drop to 125. But maybe not be nice if they don't cause they both could maybe take out RBY at nationals.

I still believe Fix or Suriano maybe both will drop to 125. But maybe not be nice if they don't cause they both could maybe take out RBY at nationals.

I don't see it, both have a better chance beating Gross than Spencer. They will stay focused on getting a chance at a NC. Nobody wants a piece of Lee next March if they know what's good for them.

RBY is going to be great but anything higher than a low AA as true frosh in that meat grinder of a class is being overly optimistic, he can get there from Wrestlebacks even if one of them took him out. RBYs points are just gravy.

Reactions: el dub
1 match would not move him above Lee in P4P, but if Fix goes undefeated at 133 and beats Gross a P4P guy he could considering 125 has been vacated.

1 match would not move him above Lee in P4P, but if Fix goes undefeated at 133 and beats Gross a P4P guy he could considering 125 has been vacated.

Forgone conclusion. Picc would have a tough time placing whereas at 125 he has a good shot at top 4. I wouldn’t mind Spencer moving up to 133 to take on Fix in the dual but I don’t know if I see Tom letting that happen so close to B1G and NCAAs.

Forgone conclusion. Picc would have a tough time placing whereas at 125 he has a good shot at top 4. I wouldn’t mind Spencer moving up to 133 to take on Fix in the dual but I don’t know if I see Tom letting that happen so close to B1G and NCAAs.
I would love to see that! I think bumping desalts up to 141 to wrestle Brock could work out in Iowa's favor...

It is NOT happening with Fix. Flo has been guessing at this for 10 months and they finally stopped because they were convinced otherwise. You should be too. Fix is 133 for college - he's not making 125. You will see him make the cut for freestyle but he is not doing it for the grind of a college season, or even part of it. Picc has been diligently keeping his weight down and Fix has grown into 133 - to pull a switch now or in the near future will negatively affect both wrestlers and the team at this point. Plus Brock went up to make room for this line-up. Gfeller is the odd one out here and it is pretty much accepted in Stillwater. (On a side note, with 2 hour weigh-ins you might not see a big difference between Picc and Fix down at 125 right now).

Reactions: Exo
Well myself I personally can see Fix winning it all at 133 cause of his defense he is one tough sob to take down. I believe his qucikness alone will handle Gross and his slow feet. Just enjoy the season lots of great wrestling to look forward to.
I disagree I think Gross will handle Fix this time around my view is Fix will take some losses against a few of the top guys this year. Suriano is I think is the top guy at 133 this year, DeSanto I hope will be top 6

Last edited:
Reactions: Sett1997
I don't see it, both have a better chance beating Gross than Spencer. They will stay focused on getting a chance at a NC. Nobody wants a piece of Lee next March if they know what's good for them.

RBY is going to be great but anything higher than a low AA as true frosh in that meat grinder of a class is being overly optimistic, he can get there from Wrestlebacks even if one of them took him out. RBYs points are just gravy.
Nobody is touching Lee this year.

Reactions: lionlover
I disagree I think Gross will handle Fix this time around my view is Fix will take some losses against a few of the top guys this year. Suriano is I think is the top guy at 133 this year, DeSanto I hope will be top 6
Spot on, maybe flip Suriano and Gross. 50-50 either way imo .

I don't think so. I think Fix will do what Lee did last year...perhaps take a loss during the season, but not take a loss at the NCAAs. And I think Suriano will be asking God why in the world He brought Lee and Fix into the wrestling world. :)

I don't think so. I think Fix will do what Lee did last year...perhaps take a loss during the season, but not take a loss at the NCAAs. And I think Suriano will be asking God why in the world He brought Lee and Fix into the wrestling world. :)

I think Suriano matches up well with Fix. Fix doesn’t have the top game in folk that Spencer has. Early on, Spencer built big leads against Picc and Rivera but won even though he was gassing in the third. Matches against Fix would beat much closer.

I think the one folks are missing the boat on is RBY. I could be wrong but I think he is a legit top 5 guy and can hang with either Fix or Suriano with Suriano being the tougher match up.

I think Suriano matches up well with Fix. Fix doesn’t have the top game in folk that Spencer has. Early on, Spencer built big leads against Picc and Rivera but won even though he was gassing in the third. Matches against Fix would beat much closer.

I think the one folks are missing the boat on is RBY. I could be wrong but I think he is a legit top 5 guy and can hang with either Fix or Suriano with Suriano being the tougher match up.
Have to give you major props Chief. You spotlighted RBY way before he was recognized nationally as being elite. I know part of that was because you were in Arizona at the time and was able to see him develop, but you still called it!

I was reading Foley's mailbag this morning and there was a question about how Fix will do this weekend. He predicted Fix to go 1-1, and saying "he'll figure out one, but not the other, dont' know which one though"....or something like that.

While I agree with him (going 1-1 this weekend), toward the end he did mention that stylistically, he has a better chance against Lizak (or was he saying that just because he's not #1?). My question is, why would Lizak be a better matchup for him vs Gross, since Lizak is a phenomenal rider, and Fix isn't as a good of a mat wrestler. Wouldn't that make him more susceptible on bottom [against] Lizak? (Warning, my true wrestling knowledge may be showing with this post....aka none).

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/20771

I was reading Foley's mailbag this morning and there was a question about how Fix will do this weekend. He predicted Fix to go 1-1, and saying "he'll figure out one, but not the other, dont' know which one though"....or something like that.

While I agree with him (going 1-1 this weekend), toward the end he did mention that stylistically, he has a better chance against Lizak (or was he saying that just because he's not #1?). My question is, why would Lizak be a better matchup for him vs Gross, since Lizak is a phenomenal rider, and Fix isn't as a good of a mat wrestler. Wouldn't that make him more susceptible on bottom [against] Lizak? (Warning, my true wrestling knowledge may be showing with this post....aka none).

They are both great riders but I would say that Gross is better on his feet (although Lizak is underrated, pigeonholed as the Back pack). So fix might get some takedowns on Gross but Gross can do the same and ride fix to turn whereas Fix should be better on his feet than Lizak. Lizak might not get the chance unless he chooses top.

I think in general, Gross is considered unanimously better than Lizak. Lizak is a baller in March but definitely has some head scratching losses in November-January historically. If I was a betting man (which I am), I'd take Fix over Lizak. We all know both of their resume's, I just think Fix beats the hell out of Lizak in the neutral position.

It seems many people are also knocking his mat wrestling ability as well, I'm not sure that its warranted. Obviously his top position isn't on level with Gross/Lee types. I agree with Foley 1-1.

Gross over Fix 8-4
Fix over Lizak 4-2

I think Fix starts hot this year, wins both of these matches, and Flo gets really excited about it. Then he takes a loss to Suriano and loses at the NCAA's. The difference between Fix this year and Lee last year is Fix redshirted and is coming in healthy. Lee came in after an injury, his cardio wasn't great early, but by the end of the year he was a destroyer. I don't think Fix has the skill set to dominate and score points like Lee. He doesn't turn like that, and he isn't near as consistent at getting to legs. Those closer matches make him more susceptible to taking a loss in a deep field at the NCAA's IMO.

Fix needs to be very careful of a reversal. Gross in particular. Smith better make sure that Fix cuts these guys quick because it will be much easier to get both these wrestlers to get a reversal than a takedown.

In fact, if I were Gross I'd pull a Randy Lewis and just let Fix come on in.

Reactions: Grip220

Just hot air from Foley because he feels he has to make some sort of comment about Fix's big weekend.

He opens with:
"I'm not sure who he beats and who he loses to, but I think that Fix walks away 1-1."

Then throws out some arbitrary numbers to look like he really conducted a careful analysis of the situation:
"I'd say Fix has a 20 percent chance at going 2-0, 65 percent chance at 1-1, and 15 percent chance at ending 0-2."
(Show your work, please, Mister)

And, contrary to his opening statement, it turns out he does have an opinion on who Fix beats:
"Also, I give Fix a better chance against Lizak than I do Gross."

How would Ken "Hawk" Harrelson put it . . . GASSSSS!

I don't recall it ever being disclosed why the Gross-Wilson matchup got pulled from the AFewSortOfStars Classic two weeks ago, but this would suggest the issue was with Gross.

EDIT: Then again, I see now that Wilson hasn't been wrestling, either.

Last edited:
I think Fix starts hot this year, wins both of these matches, and Flo gets really excited about it. Then he takes a loss to Suriano and loses at the NCAA's. The difference between Fix this year and Lee last year is Fix redshirted and is coming in healthy. Lee came in after an injury, his cardio wasn't great early, but by the end of the year he was a destroyer. I don't think Fix has the skill set to dominate and score points like Lee. He doesn't turn like that, and he isn't near as consistent at getting to legs. Those closer matches make him more susceptible to taking a loss in a deep field at the NCAA's IMO.

Good points, duly noted. But I still think he'll win it all, though if it comes down to the two of them, I'd like to see Suriano take him.

ADVERTISEMENT