ADVERTISEMENT

If fix beats gross...

I think Suriano matches up well with Fix. Fix doesn’t have the top game in folk that Spencer has. Early on, Spencer built big leads against Picc and Rivera but won even though he was gassing in the third. Matches against Fix would beat much closer.

I think the one folks are missing the boat on is RBY. I could be wrong but I think he is a legit top 5 guy and can hang with either Fix or Suriano with Suriano being the tougher match up.

I concur WRT RBY, Chief. and like you, think he can be a top 5 and perhaps top 3 guy. I still think it will come down to Fix and Suriano, with Suriano losing a close one.

Reactions: IAChief32
Fixation is getting old quick. It's a repeat of Flo hype.
All summer he was the anointed one and he was going to beat everyone for worlds. He lost to Ramos, then won...then lost to Gilman ..then dropped to Jr level and lost again taking silver.
He was supposed to be 125 according to every Okie st poster and would beat Lee. Blah blah blah.
Look Fix is good and is going to be great , but let's not take away the talent from Suriano, Gross, Lizak, Mic..Desanto ect.

Reactions: hoythawk
All summer he was the anointed one and he was going to beat everyone for worlds. He lost to Ramos, then won...then lost to Gilman ..then dropped to Jr level and lost again taking silver.
He was supposed to be 125 according to every Okie st poster and would beat Lee. Blah blah blah.
Look Fix is good and is going to be great , but let's not take away the talent from Suriano, Gross, Lizak, Mic..Desanto ect.
It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't AA this season. A win over early season Lizak still wouldn't put him with the top guys yet.

I agree mostly... He got cheated at worlds, I watched to match he lost and it was blatant.. He has wrestled 3 or 4 times this year and hasn't faced anyone of note, as a current ok state fan I count his record as 0-0 to a certain extent.. has he torched everyone so far... yes. is he talented..yes.. can he do lots of great and flashy things.. yes... He also has had years and years of high level coaching and has above average strength and speed.. he hasn't had a real match this year. yesterday would have been his first and it didn't happen.. today could be the day we see exactly how good he is and how he responds to someone who is also fast and strong and has the experience to match his.. then we will find out who is is and what we can reasonably expect from his as far as placement... same thing goes for the rest of the ok state team and the hawkeyes.. watching lee, desantos, and the bull kill lesser opponents is fun to watch, what I'm curious to watch is how they do against a top opponent. for as good as the bull has looked, he is ranked #10, which is crazy..

Reactions: el dub
Nice post. Just an FYI... the bull is ranked #4

although I don't put a ton of stock in rankings, from what I see on Wrestle Stat, he is #9 and it seems fair considering who is above him... there are a few guys higher that seem too high, I would put his at 6th..

Reactions: andegre
. . .

today could be the day we see exactly how good he is and how he responds to someone who is also fast and strong and has the experience to match his.. then we will find out who is is and what we can reasonably expect from his as far as placement... same thing goes for the rest of the ok state team and the hawkeyes.. watching lee, desantos, and the bull kill lesser opponents is fun to watch, what I'm curious to watch is how they do against a top opponent. for as good as the bull has looked, he is ranked #10, which is crazy..

Lee hasn't wrestled the top opponents?

Lee hasn't wrestled the top opponents?

I don't think he has this year I don't question Lee and his ability to show up when its time and rise to the occasion.. He is the best at his weight by a long shot and proves that every time he goes out.. Bresser is #2 right now and I think the gap between the 2 is deep and wide. anyone who had any reservations about Lee should have been convicted when he pinned Tomessello at nationals.. saying all this, I would like to see lee and fix wrestle this year just to watch.. I would give the edge to lee of course

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't AA this season. A win over early season Lizak still wouldn't put him with the top guys yet.

Really? Can we make a little side bet with all proceeds going to the HWC? Since you wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't AA, then how about my side of the bet is that he's 4th or better and your side is that he's 5th or worse. Say $25?

because of the way the cowboys schedule is set up we will know exactly how good fix is by nationals. he will see suriano, desantos and gross before ncaa's plus a few other pretty good kids.. i thought he looked pretty good today against Lizak..
also watched the #2 kid at 125 from northwestern... like I said above, theres a big gap between lee and everyone else

Lizak has made a habit of coming on strong at the NCAA's and Lizak was in deep on Fix on a shot and almost turned him, so this match could be close later in the year. Last year, Lee beat Lizak 15-0 in two periods. There wasn't a competitive moment in the match and then
NATO ran Lizak off the mat and teched him and then at the NCAA's NATO beat him in OT in a great match. I wouldn't count Lizak out. He seems to come on strong as the year goes on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuck C
I was reading Foley's mailbag this morning and there was a question about how Fix will do this weekend. He predicted Fix to go 1-1, and saying "he'll figure out one, but not the other, dont' know which one though"....or something like that.

While I agree with him (going 1-1 this weekend), toward the end he did mention that stylistically, he has a better chance against Lizak (or was he saying that just because he's not #1?). My question is, why would Lizak be a better matchup for him vs Gross, since Lizak is a phenomenal rider, and Fix isn't as a good of a mat wrestler. Wouldn't that make him more susceptible on bottom [against] Lizak? (Warning, my true wrestling knowledge may be showing with this post....aka none).

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/20771

If you're looking for insightful and intelligent wrestling knowledge avoid Foley at all costs. Probably the worst pundit in the sport.

I concur WRT RBY, Chief. and like you, think he can be a top 5 and perhaps top 3 guy. I still think it will come down to Fix and Suriano, with Suriano losing a close one.

That's about where I am at. I think Gross is the total package and Suriano is so solid on his feet. But I do think a guy like RBY can mix it up with Fix and the rest and come out on top. RBY matches Fix's athleticism and it will be a good match. I just think in close matches like these tend to be, you put your money on the guy with the best defense and who can ride.

I wouldn't count Lizak out. He seems to come on strong as the year goes on.

Kid is a powedpuff during the season then seems to eat spinach or something during the postseason. I thought 2017 was a fluke because of Suriano/PSU fiasco but he majored Mcghee and Mattin, pinned Moisey and TF'd Picc, beat Cruz and was real close with NATO at B1G and NCAAs. A match with him at nationals would worry me if I am those top guys.

That's about where I am at. I think Gross is the total package and Suriano is so solid on his feet. But I do think a guy like RBY can mix it up with Fix and the rest and come out on top. RBY matches Fix's athleticism and it will be a good match. I just think in close matches like these tend to be, you put your money on the guy with the best defense and who can ride.

133 is a meat grinder. It will be awesome to watch all year. As great as RBY looks we need more time to see where he is at, but anything higher than a low-mid AA is asking a lot, I think the same for Desanto btw Fix just has such a deep tourney and freestyle body of work I think most of us expected him to be exactly where he seems to be right now at the collegiate level in folk. I see him as top 4 right now no doubt.

Reactions: tim73034
ADVERTISEMENT