ADVERTISEMENT

If Iowa Beats Gonzaga, Is Iowa #1 In The Next Polls?

Yes, and the media hype train will be full steam ahead. I just hope the team doesn’t buy into the hype - in fact, a loss might be preferable in the sense that it gives the team some perspective on how to get better, and to stay hungry.

Yes, and the media hype train will be full steam ahead. I just hope the team doesn’t buy into the hype - in fact, a loss might be preferable in the sense that it gives the team some perspective on how to get better, and to stay hungry.

This is along the same thought process of "I'd rather be 29-1 going into the tourney than 30-0." Will never understand where losing a game is a positive.

tenor.gif

This is along the same thought process of "I'd rather be 29-1 going into the tourney than 30-0." Will never understand where losing a game is a positive.

I don't disagree with that at all. I just hope that confidence doesn't turn into cockiness.

I would much rather have a cocky and confident team loaded that is loaded with talent than a scared and hesitant team that is full of potential. Fear of failing makes losers of us all! Name me one NBA star that does not think he's the cat's ass? And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I would much rather have a cocky and confident team loaded that is loaded with talent than a scared and hesitant team that is full of potential. Fear of failing makes losers of us all! Name me one NBA star that does not think he's the cat's ass? And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I don't want to be a cat's ass. Smells funny and gets poop on it all the time.

Gonzaga practiced for the first time today, Thursday. Arguably not "as legit" of a victory if we prevail.

The cats ass?

Where the hell you grow up? Lol

Iowa but far from the cats ass
"The cat's ass" is a way to say ultra-cool or desirable. It's used in a couple different ways. First, one might say something like"My new apartment is the cat's ass" ("My new apartment is awesome") or "That car is the cat's ass." I have also heard it used in a slightly different manner, albeit the same meaning

A #1 ranking would be gigantic for the program whether it's December 1st of March 1st.

This. Being ranked #1 changes everything. Look at football. I was 18 months old in 1985. Don’t remember it obviously. But if anyone ever asks “Has Iowa ever been ranked #1?” I can rattle it off in an instant. It becomes part of program lore and gives fans hope that it could happen again. Shows recruits this program can be just as good as any. If Iowa beats Gonzaga and is ranked #1, even if only for a week or two, you cash that check now and never look back. Because who knows if it will be a possibility come March. It’s possible right now. Literally win one game. That’s it. So do it now.

Nah, they'll see us as a transitional #1.

Still have to jump Baylor, I guess that was the question, just win that’s all the Hawks can do.

Take it one game at a time and the polls will take care of themselves. Hopefully this is where a team with Iowa's experience can keep focused.

This. Being ranked #1 changes everything. Look at football. I was 18 months old in 1985. Don’t remember it obviously. But if anyone ever asks “Has Iowa ever been ranked #1?” I can rattle it off in an instant. It becomes part of program lore and gives fans hope that it could happen again. Shows recruits this program can be just as good as any. If Iowa beats Gonzaga and is ranked #1, even if only for a week or two, you cash that check now and never look back. Because who knows if it will be a possibility come March. It’s possible right now. Literally win one game. That’s it. So do it now.
I can tell you The University of Iowa was the BOMB in 85-86. Football team was #1 for 5 or 6 weeks, Basketball was #1 for awhile as well I believe, and of course wrestling. Bob Hope MC'd the All american team on national TV and there was Chuck Long consensus 1st team AA at QB, and then the MLB for the defense was of course consensus AA Larry Station. It was a Hawkeye nation that year.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT