ADVERTISEMENT

If Iowa goes 4-1 they will still go to the B1G championship

635805115138833533-web.1016.herky.hurdle.jpg

That is correct, 4-1 makes Iowa a done deal. Now if Nebraska/Wisconsin each drop one more then I think 3-2 gets it done.
Correct. We now need to become big Northwestern, and Michigan State fans. And to a lesser extent, Minnesota fans.

If Iowa can win their next 3, while Wisconsin drops one to either Illinois, Northwestern, or Minnesota and Nebraska drops one to either Northwestern or Michigan State, then Iowa can wrap up the West before Senior Day.

So yeah it is possible that our game with Minnesota could be to clinch the division title.

Indiana game could be to clinch. Not Minn game.
I was speaking on possibilities, but yeah technically it is possible that we could clinch after November 7th's results. We'd need Illinois and Nebraska to lose I think, and there's a few other ways it would work, but yes that appears to be the earliest. Each week after that is a little more realistic probability though.

We play 8 conference games. As I understand it, all of them, not just in-division, count for conference standings. So we will not finish conference play with a 4-1 record. Ws and Ls will add up to 8

So if the Hawks go undefeated and win the Big 10 Champ game. Bama, Clemson, Utah and Baylor or TCU all win out, we still won't make the top 4. Thoughts?

So if the Hawks go undefeated and win the Big 10 Champ game. Bama, Clemson, Utah and Baylor or TCU all win out, we still won't make the top 4. Thoughts?

Baylor and TCU have to play each other. If OSU is #1 and Iowa were undefeated and beat OSU in BT game, Hawkeyes might make it in. We should hope that Pitt, Wisconsin, NW, and even Nebby win as much as possible (except the game against us of course).

Last edited:
Correct. We now need to become big Northwestern, and Michigan State fans. And to a lesser extent, Minnesota fans.

If Iowa can win their next 3, while Wisconsin drops one to either Illinois, Northwestern, or Minnesota and Nebraska drops one to either Northwestern or Michigan State, then Iowa can wrap up the West before Senior Day.

So yeah it is possible that our game with Minnesota could be to clinch the division title.

Think bigger. I'm pulling for the B1G West teams to have success against B1G East teams. Let's face it, if the rest of the B1G West looks mediocre for rest of season and Iowa advances and loses the CCG to either MSU or OSU, do you think it's a "done deal" that the Rose Bowl takes Iowa over either MSU or OSU? I don't.

If OSU or MSU's only loss results from the head to head match up, it is entirely possible that the Rose Bowl chooses either team over Iowa.

At least for now, I'll be pulling for Nebraska over MSU.

I'm not a player or coach so it matters none if I look ahead to who we play or to think about post season. I promise it won't affect any game outcomes.

So when your wrote "thoughts?", it was a baited question to give yourself a chance to be a doucher. Pat yourself on the back! You accomplished your goal!

Reactions: td77
Think bigger. I'm pulling for the B1G West teams to have success against B1G East teams. Let's face it, if the rest of the B1G West looks mediocre for rest of season and Iowa advances and loses the CCG to either MSU or OSU, do you think it's a "done deal" that the Rose Bowl takes Iowa over either MSU or OSU? I don't.

If OSU or MSU's only loss results from the head to head match up, it is entirely possible that the Rose Bowl chooses either team over Iowa.

At least for now, I'll be pulling for Nebraska over MSU.
Nah I'm good.

If they maintain the needle-sharp focus that they've been using in their preparation for prior opponents ... I genuinely believe that this team WILL win out.

If the focus lapses ... then anything can happen. However, this team has really impressed me.

Baylor and TCU have to play each other. If OSU is #1 and Iowa were undefeated and beat OSU in BT game, Hawkeyes might make it in. We should hope that Pitt, Wisconsin, NW, and even Nebby win as much as possible (except the game against us of course).
No, we would make it in.....in that hypothetical scenario.

There won't be enough undefeated teams left to keep an undefeated Big Ten team, doesn't matter who, out of the CFB playoff, anyway.

Besides, in said hypothetical scenario, 12-0 Iowa beating 12-0 Ohio State, the defending national champion, and getting left out of the playoff for any other team, ESPECIALLY a 1-loss team, would probably cause the kind of f***ing firestorm that you don't recover from, if you're the CFB Playoff committee.

There won't be any 'might make it'...they'll either be in, or Iowa will be the deciding reason for the new 8-team playoff in 2017.

In that hypothetical scenario....................

No, we would make it in.....in that hypothetical scenario.

There won't be enough undefeated teams left to keep an undefeated Big Ten team, doesn't matter who, out of the CFB playoff, anyway.

Besides, in said hypothetical scenario, 12-0 Iowa beating 12-0 Ohio State, the defending national champion, and getting left out of the playoff for any other team, ESPECIALLY a 1-loss team, would probably cause the kind of f***ing firestorm that you don't recover from, if you're the CFB Playoff committee.

There won't be any 'might make it'...they'll either be in, or Iowa will be the deciding reason for the new 8-team playoff in 2017.

In that hypothetical scenario....................
I'd love it if the Hawks were the cause of such a controversy!

So when your wrote "thoughts?", it was a baited question to give yourself a chance to be a doucher. Pat yourself on the back! You accomplished your goal!

Well the question was what people's thoughts would be about Iowa being left out. So no, not a baited question. I guess just a bad answer on your part. It's cool.

We will most likely have to beat the defending national champion at the end of the year so I'm thinking we're in if we win out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT