ADVERTISEMENT

If Iowa State Plays, Does It Hurt Iowa?

Mar 14, 2003
We've talked budgets and economy. What happens if ISU plays and Iowa does not? Does it hurt Iowa in recruiting? The Hawkeye brand in the state?

If ISU plays and Iowa doesn't, ISU will get more publicity than Iowa -- except in Eastern Iowa, of course -- but whether it will help or hurt Iowa kinda depends on how the season goes. If a bunch of Cyclones (or Cyclone fans) come down with the Plague and they have to stop in mid-season, it's hard to see how that would hurt Iowa.

If ISU plays and Iowa doesn't, ISU will get more publicity than Iowa -- except in Eastern Iowa, of course -- but whether it will help or hurt Iowa kinda depends on how the season goes. If a bunch of Cyclones (or Cyclone fans) come down with the Plague and they have to stop in mid-season, it's hard to see how that would hurt Iowa.
the plague, wuflu? maybe, players get sick every season.

It will absolutely hurt Iowa, even in eastern Iowa. There will be no other college sports to cover, so ISU will get more exposure than they otherwise would have. By far. Horrible move by B1G to put their schools in this situation.

Reactions: Hock-I and kentadel
I don't see any way iSU having a season hurts Iowa. Sure, they'll have viewers, butmost realize this is beyond Iowa's control.

And it sure won't hurt in State recruiting. Matty can't recruit Iowa other than a few kids Iowa won't offer, anyway.

If Iowa state plays and iowa doesn’t even play in the spring then yes.

If that happens good luck to big ten schools when it comes to recruiting.

Reactions: Legs94
We've talked budgets and economy. What happens if ISU plays and Iowa does not? Does it hurt Iowa in recruiting? The Hawkeye brand in the state?

In the fall, maybe. But recruiting is a 12 month, year-round gig, I'm more worried about the ridiculous negativity about racial inclusion and diversity issues impacting the program.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I do not believe it will effect it either way unless the big 12 has to stop midstream

How would it negatively impact Iowa. Aren’t they still both playing by the same rules when it comes to recruiting? The dead period was extended through September and will continue to be extended.

isu gets fb revenue, we don't. without fb revenue, cuts will be made. CUTS will hurt IOWA. losing 10s of millions cutting out fb will hurt each b1g school. duh
It doesn't hurt the brand or the in state recruiting.
Also, don't forget a ton of football money doesn't actually get spent on football.

The real question is what do our players do the next 12 months. If they can't play, they can't practice full contact or close to it. Gonna be hard to be ready to play if you have been rusting away for 1.5 years!

of course it will hurt. if you only have one in state college football team playing on tv on saturdays, some people will be come vested. They will slowly start to learn the players names and more about the program, and possibly even start to cheer them on. I'm not saying even close to all of the hawkeye fans, but there will be some that do.

Reactions: GoUIowa
of course it will hurt. if you only have one in state college football team playing on tv on saturdays, some people will be come vested. They will slowly start to learn the players names and more about the program, and possibly even start to cheer them on. I'm not saying even close to all of the hawkeye fans, but there will be some that do.
Zero Iowa fans are going to throw their fandome away to ISU because they have an average football season, while we did the smart thing. Zero.

I think the entire B1G will suffer in different ways, especially if 3 other Power 5 teams play. I don’t think fan support will suffer. I mainly think about recruiting. Will out of sight/out of mind be an issue here when you’re talking about 15-17 year olds? I don’t know man. Such a weird year.

I'm just curious how it will work if we don't play at all, even in the Spring. Do seniors get an extra year? If so what happens to our great '21 class, do several go someplace else? If the Big 12 and SEC play and we don't, it will hurt recruiting very badly. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise. The Spring thing is dumb too, because playing 2 seasons in the same calendar year and claiming it's about "player safety" is ridiculous.
On the plus side, if I can watch college football for 7 months straight, I wouldn't hate it. If there is basketball, my wife my divorce me due to all of the sports I will be watching, but at least I would be entertained.

I'm sure CR media (TV + print) will still give Iowa not playing more coverage than ISU playing. Saville will have a feature on "what Kirk Ferentz does on Game Day now", followed by coverage of the ISU/Oklahoma game. No highlights because the game concluded too late, even though it started at 11 AM.

I'm sure CR media (TV + print) will still give Iowa not playing more coverage than ISU playing. Saville will have a feature on "what Kirk Ferentz does on Game Day now", followed by coverage of the ISU/Oklahoma game. No highlights because the game concluded too late, even though it started at 11 AM.

sounds good

This ^

All of this talk is going to be moot sooner than later.

The NCAA moving yesterday to cancel all fall sports championships except for football makes me believe that ultimately the other conferences will ultimately cancel as well. I'm not sure if it is better or worse for b10 that they went first on this if that does ultimately happen.

I still don't understand why they moved so early. The way they did this is a bad look for the conference.

Whether or not ISU benefits to Iowa's detriment depends on the circumstances. If ISU is able to play part or even all of the season, I think we could see a short-term hit on in-state recruiting. Long-term I don't think it hurts unless Iowa goes into the tank - Iowa has dominated in-state recruiting for almost all of KF's tenure as well as Hayden's time.

If the conference ever announce the conditions in detail necessary to have sports again and this conditions vary from conference to conference you are going to see some serious advantages/disadvantages

Zero Iowa fans are going to throw their fandome away to ISU because they have an average football season, while we did the smart thing. Zero.

Completely disagree. We aren’t talking the fans on this message board. It’s the casual fans, young kids, or people who are a “fan of both teams” (which there are a LOT of) that get swayed by simply who they have more access to.

Yeah I don't think I would call those fans.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT