ADVERTISEMENT

If Iowa Wins Out, Including B1G Title, Do They Make CFP?

Mar 14, 2003
Obviously would need help to get into the title game, but if they win out then beat Mich/OSU in the title game would 12-1 be enough to get them into the CFP?

By the way, I don't think Iowa does this.

From an ESPN article posted this morning:

Can two Big Ten teams get in?

Yes. If one-loss Michigan wins the Big Ten and Ohio State's only loss of the season is a close one to the rival Wolverines in the regular-season finale, the committee could still consider the Buckeyes a top-four team, as long as the committee members agree they are "unequivocally" one of the four best. Here's another option, though seemingly less realistic: Iowa (5-1) narrowly beats an undefeated Ohio State in the Big Ten championship game. Yes, Iowa. With Wisconsin's loss to Michigan last weekend, it opened the door for the Hawkeyes in the Big Ten's West division. If Iowa finishes 12-1, there's a 66 percent chance the Hawkeyes will go to the CFP, according to ESPN's Playoff Predictor.

Here's the link to the full article:
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ollege-football-playoff-second-half-scenarios

Yes.
It would help if NW beats ND and Texas keeps winning.
(Common Opponent victories).

But... you need to understand the chances of all this are very slim.

Sorry we are not going even if we only have one loss
Our offense is looking better but one thing i have come to find with my hawks the better we feel they are the biggest turd they end up laying.

Here is to this year hopefully being different
I wouldnt mind if we dont lose anymore

Iowa is out... especially if ND continues to win.

Bama
ND
Clem
Tex or Oregon

Assuming everybody wins out.

Last edited:
Yes. The odds of that happening are not good at all, but if Iowa wins out and beats Mich or OSU in the title game, they make the playoff. The east champion is going to be a top 5 team and the Pac 12 and Big 12 are the conferences who should be worried.

Reactions: groeneweg1965
There's a LONG way to go. The season is only half over. But anyone who thinks Iowa can't win the West, can't win the Big Ten title, and can't go to the playoffs isn't being realistic. Even ESPN admits that, should Iowa accomplish all of those things, there's only a one in three chance the Hawkeyes WON'T make the playoffs. Those are pretty good odds, and as long as Iowa keeps winning, those very good odds are likely to get even better.

Oh, and BTW: Ask Ohio State what happened the last time they played Iowa, you know, way back last year....

Reactions: Crafty Beaver
Yes. The odds of that happening are not good at all, but if Iowa wins out and beats Mich or OSU in the title game, they make the playoff. The east champion is going to be a top 5 team and the Pac 12 and Big 12 are the conferences who should be worried.
The rankings dont matter. Its all about that cash. A one loss Texas or Oregon will get in over Iowa.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
While I would love to see the Hawks in the CFP I just don’t see us being one of the Top 4 regardless of what we do between now and the end of the year.

a 12-1 Big Ten champion does not get left out unless the entire conference is just straight doo doo. If that were to happen, it would be the biggest crime in the history of sports and I'll quit watching because there is nothing that can be done moving forward to make anything make sense. We will have beaten PSU and OSU in basically 1.5 road games with a loss to a then ranked team. If all that happens there would probably only be two undefeated teams left, Bama and UCF (?) because they don't play anyone. A LOT has to happen though,

Reactions: groeneweg1965
It is possible, but it's also possible a 12-1 big ten champ Iowa gets left out. Big tens nonconference losses would not help... neb, northwestern, wisconsin, and purdue all lost bad nonconference games. Iowa state would need to keep winning and one or more of Notre dame, texas, clemson, and Oklahoma would need to lose.
12-1 Iowa could get in but not a shoe-in

Depends on what other teams do. At this point I would say the chances are better than 50/50 they would, especially if they keep manhandling teams for the rest of the season. But, if there are a bunch of undefeated teams at the end of the year then they probably don't. Although, there are never more than a couple undefeated teams so the chances of that happening are small.

I think it’s entirely possible that if Iowa beat an undefeated Ohio State in the CCG, Ohio State could still get selected and we get left out.

I don’t think a one loss Iowa gets selected in front of any of these teams with one loss: Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Clemson, Texas or Oklahoma. Ohio State is in that category as well but a head to head result in a CCG would be pretty hard to overlook.

Last edited:
Iowa is out... especially if ND continues to win.

Bama
ND
Clem
Tex or Oregon

Assuming everybody wins out.
Texas wouldn't get in over Iowa if they both won out. They'd both be 12-1, and their common opponent (Maryland), Iowa beat. The Big12 has a slim to none chance of getting in. Oregon however, you may be right.

Reactions: hoffmkr
Iowa state would need to keep winning...

Could you imagine if Iowa finishes 12-1, gets left out of the CFP, and committee members state that Iowa's poor OOC schedule was a factor? As horrible as that would be, I would take comfort in knowing that it was the beginning of the end of the Iowa State series.

Reactions: grayhair81
Texas wouldn't get in over Iowa if they both won out. They'd both be 12-1, and their common opponent (Maryland), Iowa beat. The Big12 has a slim to none chance of getting in. Oregon however, you may be right.
Money talks and I think that Texas would get the nod on that alone.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
Could you imagine if Iowa finishes 12-1, gets left out of the CFP, and committee members state that Iowa's poor OOC schedule was a factor? As horrible as that would be, I would take comfort in knowing that it was the beginning of the end of the Iowa State series.
Hate to burst your bubble, but Iowa State is going to be one of our best wins of the year. Looking at their schedule, I bet they finish at 8-4 and ranked in the Top 25. Hate ISU all you want, but their gonna help us this year on SOS.

Money talks and I think that Texas would get the nod on that alone.
I see what you’re saying, but Iowa would sell out of its ticket allotment in 2 min and every bar and hotel within a 30 mile radius would run out of rooms and alcohol. People know what the fans did in Indy in 2015.

I know eyes on TV sets are another story, but are people going skip watching the playoffs because it’s Iowa and not Texas playing ND or Alabama? I don’t think so.

I work for a large sports network and we actually had this conversation yesterday. Also talked about UCF and if they go undefeated. People seem to think that if they do, the committee may put them in there against Alabama (assuming they make it) just to settle the debate and because of the bad blood stemming from the whole national champions issue last year. Hard to leave a team out that runs the table 2 years in a row.

The Big Ten is in a much better spot than the Big 12 and Pac 12, assuming Mich and OSU keep winning. If Iowa were to run the table, they won’t get in beating a 2-3 loss east champion. They need a huge quality win in the title game.

I see what you’re saying, but Iowa would sell out of its ticket allotment in 2 min and every bar and hotel within a 30 mile radius would run out of rooms and alcohol. People know what the fans did in Indy in 2015.

I know eyes on TV sets are another story, but are people going skip watching the playoffs because it’s Iowa and not Texas playing ND or Alabama? I don’t think so.

I work for a large sports network and we actually had this conversation yesterday. Also talked about UCF and if they go undefeated. People seem to think that if they do, the committee may put them in there against Alabama (assuming they make it) just to settle the debate and because of the bad blood stemming from the whole national champions issue last year. Hard to leave a team out that runs the table 2 years in a row.

The Big Ten is in a much better spot than the Big 12 and Pac 12, assuming Mich and OSU keep winning. If Iowa were to run the table, they won’t get in beating a 2-3 loss east champion. They need a huge quality win in the title game.
I dont think people will skip watching... its just a matter of the numbers of eyes watching. Texas will sell out their tix and as many rooms as the hawks. But what is the population density that will be tuned into Texas rather iowa. People will watch and i bet the pitch is “why have 2 million tvs tuned in, when you can have 3 million?” Maybe splitting hairs but Texas has that sort of pull.

As for UCF, Whatever... im not sure there could be a justificationfor picking a mid major over a 1 loss B10 team, that is mid teir

Stop with the Iowa State sucks, I've actually watched most of their games this year and they look pretty good actually. Some of those losses could have easily been wins.

Win big
Win BTCG, another Woodshed Buckeye victory.
Set sack records.
Beat down Penn State

No question. In.

Reactions: tdstick
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT