ADVERTISEMENT

If Iowa Wins Out, Including B1G Title, Do They Make CFP?

It is very rare for any team to get through the whole year undefeated. IIRC most of the playoff teams have 1 loss by the time the playoffs roll around. Being B1G champs would certainly help.

I think the odds of us running the table are pretty slim, but if it were to happen, our loss will have been longer ago than any loss by the usual suspects. That is another positive.

There is no question that we would be on the short list. A perfect scenario would be if PSU beats Wisky, but we beat them. That way we are 8-1 in conference and Wisky and jNW are no better than 7-2. Also PSU would still be ranked fairly high if it didn’t lose to anyone else but us, which helps our strength of schedule.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
As mentioned by others I think the odds of running the table are very remote but not impossible. By the same token, a 1 loss, B1G champion Iowa would be in the final 6-8 but not likely in the final 4. It’s more likely they’d take a 1 loss OSU non-B1G champ instead if that was the case.

The actual B1G champ has not made the final four the last 2 years?

Iowa is in a class of power 5 teams that needs to go undefeated to make it the vast majority of seasons.

While I would love to see the Hawks in the CFP I just don’t see us being one of the Top 4 regardless of what we do between now and the end of the year.

If they continue to do to teams what they've done the last two I'm betting a lot of people's minds will be changed. We'll know a lot more after this week and the PSU game. We still have a young team though and consistency can be a problem, especially once the media hype machine kicks into full gear. It's only getting started now.

13-0 Clemson
12-1 Iowa
12-1 Texas
11-1 Notre Dame
12-1 Oregon
13-0 Alabama

I know which 2 teams they would leave out... regardless of how ridiculous the so called justification, for leaving them out, is...

but wouldn't it make more sense to have at least an 8 team Playoff?
I'm curious... would you watch the first round of an 8 team playoff?
is there anybody who thinks thats a bad idea? (other than Alabama fans)

until they fix this obvious problem... the only thing I care about is the Conference Championship games.

There is still a lot of season to play and I'll predict every team will lose. Why? B/C that is typically what happens, even 'Bama drops one.

Iowa appears to have a good team so they have a better than average shot in every game on schedule. That is a better outlook than most teams. Still highly doubtful they would run the table on the rest of the schedule. Be a lot cooler if they did!

Reactions: bulletproof90
13-0 Clemson
12-1 Iowa
12-1 Texas
11-1 Notre Dame
12-1 Oregon
13-0 Alabama

I know which 2 teams they would leave out... regardless of how ridiculous the so called justification, for leaving them out, is...

but wouldn't it make more sense to have at least an 8 team Playoff?
I'm curious... would you watch the first round of an 8 team playoff?
is there anybody who thinks thats a bad idea? (other than Alabama fans)

until they fix this obvious problem... the only thing I care about is the Conference Championship games.
I highly doubt Texas and Oregon all win out and we will be picked over a one loss Notre Dame team..

There's a LONG way to go. The season is only half over. But anyone who thinks Iowa can't win the West, can't win the Big Ten title, and can't go to the playoffs isn't being realistic. Even ESPN admits that, should Iowa accomplish all of those things, there's only a one in three chance the Hawkeyes WON'T make the playoffs. Those are pretty good odds, and as long as Iowa keeps winning, those very good odds are likely to get even better.

Oh, and BTW: Ask Ohio State what happened the last time they played Iowa, you know, way back last year....

You guys won the game...last year in Kinnick. The game would be played in Indy and I like our chances, we are 2-1 in Lucas Oil Stadium. It would be a welcomed change from playing the Badgers, at least we know you guys would make it a game..;)

It's possible, but they need the SEC to do its job and start beating up on each other.

Obviously would need help to get into the title game, but if they win out then beat Mich/OSU in the title game would 12-1 be enough to get them into the CFP?

By the way, I don't think Iowa does this.

I'm probably looking into this too much... But from the ESPN article a poster pasted above...

"Iowa (5-1) narrowly beats an undefeated Ohio State in the Big Ten championship game. Yes, Iowa"

F*** ESPN. Why does Iowa always have to be viewed as a second class citizen? I know I'm complaining about something that will never change. It's just stupid. Maybe its good... It helps fuel the "chip on the shoulder" mentality for programs like Iowa and wisconsin. Idk

Iowa won't go 12-1, but speculation is what forums like this are for.

In the incredibly unlikely scenario that Iowa gets to the B1G title game at 11-1 AND beats a 12-0 tosu in that game I think they make the playoffs. IF it was a 1 loss mich they beat in the ccg, then it's not as likely.

It's more enjoyable to get to this point of the season and still see the possibility, despite the very long odds.

Even though I think the odds of a 12-1 Iowa are extremely slim, as I say when discussing philosophy, “Let’s embrace the hypothetical.”

Iowa’s only loss is a close game early in the season to a good team. They just beat either a 12-0 OSU or 11-1 Michigan to win the B1G. That’s pretty stout.

Now let’s look at the competition for the 4 spots at this point:

Clemson is the closest to a lock. They play NC State in the de facto ACC championship this Saturday. Take care of biz there and you can almost write them in ink. The other division is that weak.

ND is the next most likely. Only real challenge left is the finale at USC. They got enough of a scare from Pitt to not overlook the other small fries between now and then. I really think they go 12-0 and get in, lack of CCG be damned.

Bama similarly appears to have only 1 more big regular season test at LSU 11/3. Assuming that winner goes unbeaten the rest of the way including the CCG, that’s your 3rd selection.

Leaving 12-1 Iowa, possible 13-0 UCF (snubbed last year), possible 11-1 Texas, and possible 12-1 Oregon. No other serious contenders in the current T25.

Each of those 4 teams would have a legit claim, with Texas maybe the weakest of the 4. It would be a hell of a debate, and I wouldn’t love Iowa’s chances. I could almost see the committee putting UCF in just to avoid picking between 3 P5s and appease them.

Even though I think the odds of a 12-1 Iowa are extremely slim, as I say when discussing philosophy, “Let’s embrace the hypothetical.”

Iowa’s only loss is a close game early in the season to a good team. They just beat either a 12-0 OSU or 11-1 Michigan to win the B1G. That’s pretty stout.

Clemson is the closest to a lock. They play NC State in the de facto ACC championship this Saturday. Take care of biz there and you can almost write them in ink. The other division is that weak.

ND is the next most likely. Only real challenge left is the finale at USC. They got enough of a scare from Pitt to not overlook the other small fries between now and then. I really think they go 12-0 and get in, lack of CCG be damned.

Bama similarly appears to have only 1 more big regular season test at LSU 11/3. Assuming that winner goes unbeaten the rest of the way including the CCG, that’s your 3rd selection.

Leaving 12-1 Iowa, possible 13-0 UCF (snubbed last year), possible 11-1 Texas, and possible 12-1 Oregon. No other serious contenders in the current T25.

Each of those 4 teams would have a legit claim, with Texas maybe the weakest of the 4. It would be a hell of a debate, and I wouldn’t love Iowa’s chances. I could almost see the committee putting UCF in just to avoid picking between 3 P5s and appease them.

Notre Dame better watch out for Syracuse. I will be taking the points and Syracuse in that game. If I was a betting man (and I am), Notre Dame loses either to USC, Syracuse, or both.

We'd most likely be in.

As other have said though, we probably won't win out. I'd honestly pick us as the favorite in each of our remaining games, but even then the chances to actually win each one (as with any team but Bama) aren't great.

The current frontrunners are going to lose some games, and it would be a rare set of circumstances that would lead to a 12-1 Big Ten champion Iowa not making the final 4. If that were to happen though, and it theoretically very well could, we'd have the greatest of all time gripes with the system. In fact, one of these years there's gonna be a team in a situation like that and it'll be ugly.

You’re forgetting a 12-1 OSU.

While I don't think we win out, it would still be no. The selection committee picks the the 4 best teams in their minds...regardless of what happened on the field. We could be 12-1 but if their are 4 other 12-1 or better teams...we are getting left out. Probably passed over for teams with 2 losses also.

Yet again, I think most of you are absolutely crazy.

a 12-1 Iowa team that wins the B1G championship is in the playoffs.

Reactions: unclesammy

I’m actually not. I don’t think there would be any way the committee watches a 12-1 Iowa hand a previously unbeaten OSU its only loss, then turn around and pick OSU. Back in the BCS/computer days, maybe. Not now.

In this scenario, the only way for OSU to be 12-1 would mean Iowa had just beat them in conf championship.

No way they’re selected over Iowa in this situation. It would be very similar to Wisconsin last season.

In this scenario, the only way for OSU to be 12-1 would mean Iowa had just beat them in conf championship.

No way they’re selected over Iowa in this situation. It would be very similar to Wisconsin last season.

That isn't entirely true. OSU could lose to Michigan, we beat Michigan in the Big Ten Championship game. OSU would be 11-1 and we'd be 12-1. We both would have wins over Michigan & Penn State. OSU would have a win over TCU and we would have one over Iowa State (sensing why ISU winning is important for us). Regardless, with us winning the Big Ten and our resumes fairly similar, there is no way they put OSU in above us.

I’m actually not. I don’t think there would be any way the committee watches a 12-1 Iowa hand a previously unbeaten OSU its only loss, then turn around and pick OSU. Back in the BCS/computer days, maybe. Not now.
I would hope you’re right but I can imagine some argument around “body of work” and “strength of schedule”. Hopefully I get to be proven wrong, because that would be an epic finish to the year.

Yes and no. I think if they met an undefeated tOSU and wins the game they could be in. However, With the love affair the committee seems to have with the SEC, and the lack of respect they seem to show for Iowa, my guess is that Iowa would end up #5 or #6 if they win out.

While I don't think we win out, it would still be no. The selection committee picks the the 4 best teams in their minds...regardless of what happened on the field. We could be 12-1 but if their are 4 other 12-1 or better teams...we are getting left out. Probably passed over for teams with 2 losses also.

I gave validity to your post and then changed my mind when I read your last sentence.

That isn't entirely true. OSU could lose to Michigan, we beat Michigan in the Big Ten Championship game. OSU would be 11-1 and we'd be 12-1. We both would have wins over Michigan & Penn State. OSU would have a win over TCU and we would have one over Iowa State (sensing why ISU winning is important for us). Regardless, with us winning the Big Ten and our resumes fairly similar, there is no way they put OSU in above us.

Pssst. If OSU loses to Mich, they aren’t 12-1. I didn’t read past that.

So yes, it’s entirely true in THAT scenario.

Iowa is out... especially if ND continues to win.

Bama
ND
Clem
Tex or Oregon

Assuming everybody wins out.
Oregon might lose this weekend.

If Iowa runs the table and Wisconsin loses again and OSU is undefeated going into BTT game and Iowa Woodshed 2.0’s them then I think you hafta put them in......unless Oregon, ND, Clemson and Bama all win out.

Last edited:
Look at the date people. This wish, dream, or senario, is so far out. Just beat Maryland for starters. This doesn't even make good discussion over a beer.

I gave validity to your post and then changed my mind when I read your last sentence.
That's your opinion, you could be right...but if a Bama/LSU/OU type goes 11-2 it wouldn't surprise me to see the committee say they still think they are better regardless if they were to deserve it or not.

Look at the date people. This wish, dream, or senario, is so far out. Just beat Maryland for starters. This doesn't even make good discussion over a beer.
Completely agree...it's just for fun ;) I picked Iowa 8-4 before the season and I think they have a chance to beat that but 9-3 would be more realistic than 12-1. Regardless, love the team this year and anything is possible.

Obviously would need help to get into the title game, but if they win out then beat Mich/OSU in the title game would 12-1 be enough to get them into the CFP?

By the way, I don't think Iowa does this.

Yes. The 1 loss is not a bad loss unless Wisky goes all dumpster fire now.

Iowa is out... especially if ND continues to win.

Bama
ND
Clem
Tex or Oregon

Assuming everybody wins out.

Do not agree on Texas. They lost to Maryland who Iowa would have beaten. Oregon won't go unbeaten here on out. They gonna lose to Wazzoou this Saturday. Mike Leach gonna rain hell fire on them Ducks!

Last edited:
Stop with the Iowa State sucks, I've actually watched most of their games this year and they look pretty good actually. Some of those losses could have easily been wins.

You deserve compensation if you watched the Akron game.

ADVERTISEMENT