ADVERTISEMENT

If Iowa Wins Out, Including B1G Title, Do They Make CFP?

The rankings dont matter. Its all about that cash. A one loss Texas or Oregon will get in over Iowa.

Oh no. We salt of the earth hard workin heartland farmin types out combining corn in the dark. We get in over those teams eazzzzzzzzzzzzzzy!

Could you imagine if Iowa finishes 12-1, gets left out of the CFP, and committee members state that Iowa's poor OOC schedule was a factor? As horrible as that would be, I would take comfort in knowing that it was the beginning of the end of the Iowa State series.

Huh? Since when is a 7-8 win P5 team a bad OOC win? They are going to win 6+ games a year as long as Campbell is there.

I'm not sold on Penn State yet; they needed overtime to beat App State and just lost (at home) to Michigan State who barely got by Central Michigan and Utah State. I'm more concerned with Nebraska throwing hail mary's all game in desperation for an upset win against us in November.

13-0 Clemson
12-1 Iowa
12-1 Texas
11-1 Notre Dame
12-1 Oregon
13-0 Alabama

I know which 2 teams they would leave out... regardless of how ridiculous the so called justification, for leaving them out, is...

but wouldn't it make more sense to have at least an 8 team Playoff?
I'm curious... would you watch the first round of an 8 team playoff?
is there anybody who thinks thats a bad idea? (other than Alabama fans)

until they fix this obvious problem... the only thing I care about is the Conference Championship games.

It's a great idea which is why the NFL did what it did. Keeps more teams in longer and keeps the people watching the tv$$$$s.

Reactions: mrF6n6
Seriously? So a 12-1 Iowa, who beats OSU or Mich for the BIG title would be left at home, while Texas in the shit big 12 with a loss to Maryland would get in???? I'll take your wager on that scenario.........:confused:
Yes... seriously. Perception of the BiG West is crap.

Obviously would need help to get into the title game, but if they win out then beat Mich/OSU in the title game would 12-1 be enough to get them into the CFP?

By the way, I don't think Iowa does this.
Resounding no unless the choices are all teams with 2 losses. The schedule is not strong enough

Probably, but they may need some other teams to lose to make it happen. Iowa likely does not control it's own destiny.

Sad the conference champions are not a certainty. Sad that this thread must even exist. Sad and ridiculous.

Reactions: mrF6n6
Iowa is out... especially if ND continues to win.

Bama
ND
Clem
Tex or Oregon

Assuming everybody wins out.
Iowa beats Maryland. Texas lost to Maryland looks good for Iowa !
Both have one lost the playoff Committee has to take that into consideration!!

Iowa beats Maryland. Texas lost to Maryland looks good for Iowa !
Both have one lost the playoff Committee has to take that into consideration!!
LOL! They absolutely would NOT! 1st game of the year for TX and they would get a pass

Seriously? So a 12-1 Iowa, who beats OSU or Mich for the BIG title would be left at home, while Texas in the shit big 12 with a loss to Maryland would get in???? I'll take your wager on that scenario.........:confused:

I’d bet the committee taking a 1 loss Texas over a 1 loss Iowa all day and that would be easiest money I’d ever make. The B1G champ has not gone to the playoffs the past 2 seasons. This is not about fairness and equity. It’s about getting ESPN the ROI for the money invested in the playoff and Texas brings more eyeballs and market interest than we do. That’s the bottom line reality. I’m so surprised at this notion from many that this committee is looking out for the little guys. Right.

Iowa gets in at 13-0 only. Any loss and we are out. It’s that simple.

Reactions: Aleister_Crowley

Yet Iowa will have a better SOS than Oregon and a better loss than Texas. If Iowa does win out, the good wins should take care of themself. Maybe not as good as Texas overall win wise,
but way better loss wise.

Oregon’s SOS right now per sagarin is 111. Iowa’s is 26.

Per ESPN, Oregon’s remaining SOS is 51 and Iowa’s is 50.

Iowa’s loss should be a little better than Oregon’s. I wouldn’t be worried about Oregon. Texas would concern me some. It could come down to how each team looked in their conf final.

Look at the date people. This wish, dream, or senario, is so far out. Just beat Maryland for starters. This doesn't even make good discussion over a beer.

Like I said, ya gotta suspend disbelief and embrace the hypothetical. It’s exactly the kind of fun thing to ponder and debate to pass the time.

I mean, nobody is ever gonna need to solve the Trolley Problem in real life. But it’s always a great question to throw out there late in the evening at a house party.

I’d bet the committee taking a 1 loss Texas over a 1 loss Iowa all day and that would be easiest money I’d ever make. The B1G champ has not gone to the playoffs the past 2 seasons. This is not about fairness and equity. It’s about getting ESPN the ROI for the money invested in the playoff and Texas brings more eyeballs and market interest than we do. That’s the bottom line reality. I’m so surprised at this notion from many that this committee is looking out for the little guys. Right.

unfortunately, this is true. They keep repeating it before the selection show and argue, who is the best 4 teams...not who did what they needed to make the CFP.

I think it’s entirely possible that if Iowa beat an undefeated Ohio State in the CCG, Ohio State could still get selected and we get left out.

I don’t think a one loss Iowa gets selected in front of any of these teams with one loss: Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Clemson, Texas or Oklahoma. Ohio State is in that category as well but a head to head result in a CCG would be pretty hard to overlook.

Literally everything in this post depends on when it happens.

1 loss Texas gets in over Iowa because that means they won out and win conference championship game. Would be interesting because that would mean Iowa best the team they lost to though

Same for Oklahoma minus beating who they lost to. (Besides beating the team who beat the team the list to lol)

A one loss sec champ get in obviously just cause. If Banabknly has one loss they’re in no matter when that loss occurs.

One loss Ohio State vs one loss Iowa means Iowa best them in the title game. Iowa would get in over Ohio State there.

Clemson depends on when loss is. If soon can recover.

Notre Dame loss depends when. If last week vs USC then they don’t get in over one loss Iowa winning the big ten.

Moral of the story is it’s way too early!

unfortunately, this is true. They keep repeating it before the selection show and argue, who is the best 4 teams...not who did what they needed to make the CFP.

I’d like to know what best teams didn’t make the CFP, who did what they needed. Also, who got in instead of these best teams.

Jesus... It the 4 best teams to make the CFP. If Iowa convincingly wins out, they will look like one of the 4 best teams in the country.

There’s more that goes into the selection than what have you done and who beat who. The Big 12 and the PAC 12 don’t look good. The ACC doesn’t look great either.

The conferences that look the best are the SEC and the BIG. That is the national perception.

Alabama looks like the best team in the country, hands down. If they fail to win the SEC like last year, they will get in with 1 loss. That would again mean the SEC gets 2 teams in.

The only way Iowa doesn’t get in if they convincingly win out is if the above happens as well as Clemson and Notre Dame winning out.

If Iowa wins out barely beating teams, they probably don’t get in. If Iowa looks like one of the four best teams while winning out, they will get in.

Well, And1 all I can say, is I hope we get a chance to see how this would play out. And no one, certainly not me, ever said the committee was looking out for the little guy, or that this process was fair..........

Really, and the perception of the big 12, other then Oklahoma, is WHAT exactly???? Perhaps the perception of the west will change somewhat if they were to beat the east champion in the title game, which is what we were talking about......

I’d like to know what best teams didn’t make the CFP, who did what they needed. Also, who got in instead of these best teams.
The CFP committee kept talking last year about the eyeball test and who would win on a neutral field. It helped put Alabama in last year and Alabama did what the committee said it was capable of. I'd suggest they shouldn't have gotten in on their "resume" last year.

I don't think you will have to worry about Texas, I think Oklahoma will beat the second time around. That would put OU 12-1.

For the record I don't believe Iowa wins out. I bet we finish at 9-3 but lets say we do win out. I also don't believe texas wins and I don't think Oregon wins out either. so I think we have a strong shot at the playoff if we somehow win out. I got us with a loss @PSU and to either purdue or northwestern. I hope I'm wrong but that's just my guess. I think we win this weekend. Stanley is on a roll right now so I think we take Maryland by double digits

Could you imagine if Iowa finishes 12-1, gets left out of the CFP, and committee members state that Iowa's poor OOC schedule was a factor? As horrible as that would be, I would take comfort in knowing that it was the beginning of the end of the Iowa State series.
Iowa State win is shaping up to be a good one.

Yes.
Big ten champ with 1 loss gets in.

There’s more to it than that. It depends on who the team is. The playoff committee’s primary mission is to pick the four BEST teams. Not necessarily the four most deserving. Iowa has been crushed in its last three legitimate bowl games. I don’t see that as something the committee would look past if we finished 12-1. Right or wrong, nobody likes the B1G West.

Reactions: m.stoops2013
Per ESPN today:
Here's another option, though seemingly less realistic: Iowa (5-1) narrowly beats an undefeated Ohio State team in the Big Ten championship game. Yes, Iowa. With Wisconsin's loss to Michigan last weekend, it opened the door for the Hawkeyes in the Big Ten's West division. If Iowa finishes 12-1, there's a 66 percent chance the Hawkeyes will go to the CFP, according to ESPN's Playoff Predictor.
ESPN College Football Predictor

The CFP committee kept talking last year about the eyeball test and who would win on a neutral field. It helped put Alabama in last year and Alabama did what the committee said it was capable of. I'd suggest they shouldn't have gotten in on their "resume" last year.

Clearly Alabama was the best team and the committee got their pick right. I don’t know how that’s still being debated.

Who should have been in ahead Alabama? People say Alabama didn’t earn it, but never say who did deserve to be there.

Clearly Alabama was the best team and the committee got their pick right. I don’t know how that’s still being debated.

Who should have been in ahead Alabama? People say Alabama didn’t earn it, but never say who did deserve to be there.

People are still thinking with BCS minds. On paper, Ohio State did a lot more than Alabama to be selected. And in the BCS system, they probably would have been. But, things don’t work way anymore.

Reactions: DougFHawkeye
People are still thinking with BCS minds. On paper, Ohio State did a lot more than Alabama to be selected. And in the BCS system, they probably would have been. But, things don’t work way anymore.

OSU was eliminated the second they picked up their 2nd loss by 31 to an unranked team.

Wisconsin was eliminated when they lost to OSU in the conf championship. You can’t put Wisc in after having just lost to OSU. But they were arguably the most deserving.

UCF..... with that schedule, they were eliminated before the season even started.

Basically to me it comes down to Alabama and Wisconsin. Similar SOS, similar quality wins, and similar losses. One road, one neutral field. Neither won their conference.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
This is thing with the committee, they will always give Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the playoffs, I think because if you look at it, those three teams are the only teams that have actually won the CFP since it's inception. You can put Oklahoma in there for the fact that they have been in playoffs twice whether it's fair or not, that is how the committee seems to look at it.

CFP Appearances:
Alabama-4 (2 championships)
Clemson-3 (1 Championship)
Ohio State-2( 1 Championship)
Oklahoma-2
Oregon-1
Florida State-1
Georgia-1
Washington-1
Mich State-1

As far as last year OSU did not deserve to go to the playoffs, because we didn't show up for the second half of the game against Iowa and got railroaded and I was okay with that, but had we lost by 7 to 10 points, we would've been the first 2 loss team in the playoffs last year.

Reactions: And1Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT