ADVERTISEMENT

If no other QB is better than what we have….

herkyhawk00

HR Legend
Jan 28, 2008
You HAVE to go to the portal this off-season. You have to get at least a guy who started and can compete for the job. To say we have nobody better that can improve our nationally ranked last offense or throw better than 54%, that is an issue. While your at it, make it a priority to get two guys who can start on the OL. Make it a priority, do your research, reach out, close the deal.

It's not like portal QBs are lining up to play for this regime. They are loyal to a fault and always have been when it comes to the QB position. Once you are named the starter you are essentially the Black Knight from the movie Life of Brian, no arms, no legs but still in the game.

Why transfer in just to sit behind a guy if you dont win the starting gig, no matter how bad he turns out to be?

It's not like portal QBs are lining up to play for this regime. They are loyal to a fault and always have been when it comes to the QB position. Once you are named the starter you are essentially the Black Knight from the movie Life of Brian, no arms, no legs but still in the game.

Why transfer in just to sit behind a guy if you dont win the starting gig, no matter how bad he turns out to be?
Yeah, for every play of the entire freaking season

If the staff is so bad at evaluating and recruiting QB's our of high school, you actually think they will be successful in the portal? Banks being the only QB transfer INTO the program in KF's tenure. To pull a decent QB you would have to promise him a starting spot and an new OC.

I don’t think we can expect a quick fix with this offense.

QB is definitely a component - but mostly what matters is what KF does in the off season. Does he look external for a new OC? Does he hire from within (no idea who that would be). If he goes external does he allow that coach any freedom? How hard will it be for him to attract a new OC?

Iowa can offer a nice salary - however, that new OC will come into an environment that has been pretty set in stone for 20 years.

The only way we will see a “new” offense is when a new regime is brought in.

This season’s historical performance will have a lasting effect beyond just this season.

I expect we see a few exits and it’s going to be hard to convince WRs to come play for an abysmal offense … even with a new OC.

Yes… KF you are putting a nail in your own coffin with this blind loyalty and failure to make decisions that need to be made … and now this is becoming a national “story” that will have impending negative impacts to the football program.

Not having a capable QB is a big part of the problem. It is far from the only problem.
Change in the scheme is long overdue. Changes in the o-line across the board. Maybe most important of all, change in philosophy that seems to be predicated on the idea that only bad things can happen on offense if you take chances.
I've stated before, and continue to think it until I see something from the current regime that suggests otherwise, that there will be none of those changes forthcoming. There will be no significant changes of any sort as long as KF continues as head of the operation.

I think that’s Monty python and the Holy Grail actually, but I see your point 😉
I don’t think we can expect a quick fix with this offense.

QB is definitely a component - but mostly what matters is what KF does in the off season. Does he look external for a new OC? Does he hire from within (no idea who that would be). If he goes external does he allow that coach any freedom? How hard will it be for him to attract a new OC?

Iowa can offer a nice salary - however, that new OC will come into an environment that has been pretty set in stone for 20 years.

The only way we will see a “new” offense is when a new regime is brought in.

This season’s historical performance will have a lasting effect beyond just this season.

I expect we see a few exits and it’s going to be hard to convince WRs to come play for an abysmal offense … even with a new OC.

Yes… KF you are putting a nail in your own coffin with this blind loyalty and failure to make decisions that need to be made … and now this is becoming a national “story” that will have impending negative impacts to the football program.

if it’s an internal move, I think the most likely is firing Barnett, demoting Brian back to OL coach, and promoting Budmayr to OC/qb coach. Externally, have to figure a condition would have to be that Kirk let’s them run their offense. Plenty of ways to do that that would still work within the ball control, complementary framework Kirk wants.

We need a coach that doesn’t think it’s 1999 still. The whole regime needs to go other than the defensive coaches. Until Kirk is gone nothing will change because he is not getting rid of Brian. It will only get worse as Kirk will not adapt with the times by using the portal, change scheme, etc. sure he might do some worthless shit like he did bringing in Budmayr, but what ER it is will be to deflect blame from Brian and try and hide how utterly pathetic he is as a coach, and human being.

If KF is able to allow some freedom to let the OC run things, I think he SHOULD be able to get a pretty dang good up and coming OC.

"Advertise" the job as follows.

1) top 10 defense and special teams every year. (They will get you the ball).

2) taking over the WORST offense in the country (fans will be excited for an average offense and singing your praises).

3) Head coach has been here for 23 years (stable program), but will be reaching retirement. You do well as OC, you have a good shot at HEAD coach.

If I'm a young OC at a top FCS or lower tier FBS, I'd be listening.

Absolutely need to hire someone with a history of success as an OC. No more on the job training of a position coach!

You have to sell a QB on Iowa, and Iowa is a bit of a tough sell right now.

Iowa has to offer something "special" or different in terms of oline strength, skill development, coach personality fit, system fit, exposure, NIL, closeness to family, girlfriend on campus, or all of the above. That's a lot of moving parts to put together to get a guy to join the team, and there's less time to do it in than when you traditionally recruit high schoolers.

I think they are trying. I'm wondering if the "culture fit" that keeps a lot of guys at Iowa (out of the portal) also makes a transfer a tricky fit if they didn't come in as freshman.

You HAVE to go to the portal this off-season. You have to get at least a guy who started and can compete for the job. To say we have nobody better that can improve our nationally ranked last offense or throw better than 54%, that is an issue. While your at it, make it a priority to get two guys who can start on the OL. Make it a priority, do your research, reach out, close the deal.
Any sane coach would try Padilla or Labas at this point. Anything to lose?

I don’t believe a single word what this head coach or OC say when it comes to anything regarding the offense - scheme, players, or execution because they clearly have no clue with it being the worst one out there. They have no clue and prove it with every press conference and words they say. Talk about detached from reality.
There also isn’t a way out of this that ends positively for the university. Just need to eat the buyout already and limit the long-term damage to the program.

thats kinda the point.

if youre unable to do your job, you need to retire.

Yes there are other issues on the offense. But QB is the single most important player on the field - maybe in all of sports. He touches the ball on every play - and we have a total statue of a dud out there. You can’t be horrible at the most important position. You just cannot be.

Our QB is so bad it’s almost must-see-TV, yet they stick with him preaching he gives us the best chance to win.

Last edited:
105e7e0e3d3e63de2295698481d9ebf4.jpg

No QB has better upside than one of the worst QB in CFB. What is the expectation for next season then? If there is no upside, then why were they recruited and not being developed?
The whole thing is a mess and the answer is to keep the same process in place that lead them to this

Reactions: mikesright
If KF is able to allow some freedom to let the OC run things, I think he SHOULD be able to get a pretty dang good up and coming OC.

"Advertise" the job as follows.

1) top 10 defense and special teams every year. (They will get you the ball).

2) taking over the WORST offense in the country (fans will be excited for an average offense and singing your praises).

3) Head coach has been here for 23 years (stable program), but will be reaching retirement. You do well as OC, you have a good shot at HEAD coach.

If I'm a young OC at a top FCS or lower tier FBS, I'd be listening.

Absolutely need to hire someone with a history of success as an OC. No more on the job training of a position coach!

Equivalent of Charlie Brown lining up to kick a football, no matter what OC we hire KF will not relent his control of the offense. We have 23 years of proof, only a coaching change will make a difference on O.

And it's gonna be hilarious watching people rage after the game when Iowa loses by 30+ and Spencer still takes every snap.

It's happening....
I agree. I for sure am wanting the hawks to somehow pull the upset, but if that’s not in the cards, I’m almost rooting for a blowout so we can see what happens - almost becomes must see TV for that reason alone!

A. Will Petras takes every snap? And if so, do we get to hear KF tell us in post game he was giving us the best chance to win?
B. Will Padilla get some time?
C. Will Labas be first off the bench?
D. Will Padilla or Labas actually get to do anything besides hand the all off?

And it's gonna be hilarious watching people rage after the game when Iowa loses by 30+ and Spencer still takes every snap.

It's happening....

I’m guessing those who haven’t reached complete apathy for this offense will likely find it after the OSU game. I doubt the rage will be near nuclear level because people just won’t care anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT