ADVERTISEMENT

If Oliver Martin gets immediate eligibility, is Iowa a legit top 20 Team

Bryzzo

Team MVP
Aug 31, 2016
I've read most of the preseason magazines, and most have the Hawks pegged in the vicinity of 20th to 35th in the Country headed into the 2019 season.

If Oliver Martin is granted immediate eligibility, I think Iowa has a chance at one of those special seasons. Having a slot receiver that can serve as Stanley's security blanket to pair with ISM and Brandon Smith on the outside would be a huge boost to the offense.

Do these 5 things and I think a 10-2 or better season is reachable:

* Manage the brutal road schedule - at ISU, at MICH, at NW, at WIS and at NEB - go 3-2 or better
* Avoid injuries to key cogs (AJ, Stanley, Wirfs, Jackson)
* Win the TO battle - be +8 or better overall TO margin for the year
* Win the Close games - decided by a touchdown or less
* Convert on third down on offense (45% or better) and get off the field on 3rd down on D (35% or less allowed)

I don’t think OM is a slot receiver. He’s more of an outside guy, from all I’ve read. He’d have to beat out ISM or Smith, but I’ve heard he’s been very impressive in summer workouts. Stanley did compare him to a bigger Nick Easley though, and he played in the slot, so who knows?
I think you are right. I see him beating out ISM

No.
Find a kicker consistent from 40-55yds...
And a reliable punter...
And a running back that can move to the second level...
And a QB that plays confident and fearless...
And a run stuffing D-line...

and you have a good argument.
Iowa has 3, 4, and 5 already.

Sargent and Young were much more effective as the season went on, especially the former.

Stanley could throw for 30 TDs this year and some of you would complain he didn't throw for 31.

We had a run stuffing DL last year, the year before, and the year before that. Stopping the run comes natural to Iowa.

2 is likely with Sleep-Dalton transferring in, and there is potential for 1 on the roster.

No.
Find a kicker consistent from 40-55yds...
And a reliable punter...
And a running back that can move to the second level...
And a QB that plays confident and fearless...
And a run stuffing D-line...

and you have a good argument.

I think Shudak and Duncan will do well. We've already seen Duncan and Shudak may be better.
Michael Sleep-Dalton gives hope on the punter situation
RB is still a question but we have several serviceable guys who have a chance to break out
Stanley showed real poise toward the end of the year, especially the bowl game. I expect him to be a strength
Our D-line will be good.

I don’t think OM is a slot receiver. He’s more of an outside guy, from all I’ve read. He’d have to beat out ISM or Smith, but I’ve heard he’s been very impressive in summer workouts. Stanley did compare him to a bigger Nick Easley though, and he played in the slot, so who knows?

I think Iowa would use O. Martin as a slot WR, and I think the most dangerous offensive lineup to use would be to have ISM and Brandon on the outside with O. Martin in the slot. I'm not saying I'm 100% confident that is what will happen, but I would just be thrilled if Oliver is granted immediate eligibility and provides us with another weapon in the passing game that Stanley can take advantage of. Curious to hear what other fans think as far as the best position to play Oliver if he plays this Fall.

Hawks will be good this year with or without Oliver. Of course we’d love to see him on the field this year though

Iowa has 3, 4, and 5 already.

Sargent and Young were much more effective as the season went on, especially the former.

Stanley could throw for 30 TDs this year and some of you would complain he didn't throw for 31.

We had a run stuffing DL last year, the year before, and the year before that. Stopping the run comes natural to Iowa.

2 is likely with Sleep-Dalton transferring in, and there is potential for 1 on the roster.

This mostly reflects my thoughts. So the question marks and hopes place Iowa right about where they are. Adding OM isn't so important to swinging any ranking higher into top 20 ideas at this point. It's all those other things that must show up on the field.

Reactions: brokenarrow73
I think we’re considered a top 20 team without him no? With Martin, we have legit receiving talent at WR to go with our traditionally nation’s best TEs. If the defense remains nasty it could be one of those special seasons like 2015.

Reactions: map0514
Trips Flick. We’ll go trips and own the whole Big 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotthawk1964
I think Iowa has a legitimate shot at the top 20 with or with OM playing this year.
I agree.

If Kaevon Merriweather (or whomever starts at safety) is able to adequately fill-in for the departed Hooker (a big task) the Hawkeyes are legitimate top 20-25 team based on the strength of their defense alone.

Personally, I am anxious to see what Tyrone Tracy can do as a slot receiver, Ragaini also. Tracy looks like a dynamic playmaker. I believe Iowa will be fine whether or not Martin is eligible this year.

These are the pitfalls we need to avoid:
1) Subpar interior OL play. Do we have enough to create seams and get to second level blocks
2) Allowing teams to run against us more easily giving up a LB for a 175 lb slot corner.
3) Allowing teams to run against us because we’re a little light in the trenches
4) Finding a “go to” when we need it.

We will be good. If the team decides to be great and a fe breaks go our way, that could happen too.
I think we have a team that is capable of competing for the BiG title. If Iowa had a middle of the road type schedule, I would say they are a 10 win team. However, they have a tough draw, and even Iowa State will probably be favored to beat the Hawks, so if they can win the West and get to the BiG, they had a really good season. Win the BiG, hell of a great season. Especially if they can spank "Little Debbie" along the way. ;)

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Success won't hinge solely on OM playing this year. However, if he were to be granted immediate eligibility and quickly establish a strong rapport with Stan, it could go a long way toward making the team more potent offensively, thus more successful. I do think OM is the kind of receiver who can be moved around some with his smarts and route running ability.

Losing four underclassmen to the draft and we still look pretty salty on paper. I think it's going to be more mental with the upperclassmen. Can we not make mistakes v ISU, WI, NW, NE on the road? Can we be relatively healthy coming out of camp? Can we beat PU & PSU @ home and not trip up v MN?

2015 was an outlier.

I think we all know that what we’ve lacked at WR has bogged down the offense.

Our running game hasn’t been good. We’ve shown a lack of trust on big conversions.

This year should be a solid step forward, barring injuries. We have the ability to win deep on one side and with height on the other. And regardless of who comes in at slot, I’m doubting we have trouble getting guys open like we’ve seen in the past.

We can pass protect, we’re using our backs and TEs. I’m pretty confident we’ll better our numbers from a year ago.

To me, I think people are overlooking our run defense. I think that has the potential to be a relative weakness.

Reactions: map0514
I think we have a team that is capable of competing for the BiG title. If Iowa had a middle of the road type schedule, I would say they are a 10 win team. However, they have a tough draw, and even Iowa State will probably be favored to beat the Hawks, so if they can win the West and get to the BiG, they had a really good season. Win the BiG, hell of a great season. Especially if they can spank "Little Debbie" along the way. ;)
Almost every team has one or two bad games. We have the talent to beat everyone on the schedule. Our mentality will dictate our season.

Our staff does an incredible job of building tough teams. If some breaks go our way early I could see great success. If the breaks go against the boys it will be a season of terrible frustration.

I agree.

If Kaevon Merriweather (or whomever starts at safety) is able to adequately fill-in for the departed Hooker (a big task) the Hawkeyes are legitimate top 20-25 team based on the strength of their defense alone.

Personally, I am anxious to see what Tyrone Tracy can do as a slot receiver, Ragaini also. Tracy looks like a dynamic playmaker. I believe Iowa will be fine whether or not Martin is eligible this year.

Kaevon is replacing Gervase not Hooker.

Hooker was in the cash position. That will likely go to DJ Johnson.

Reactions: TKingpin

Where are you reading this from?

247 says just the opposite, that Iowa has him primarily in the slot.

If we have a guy that can consistently win one on one matchups on the outside, that’s the missing link. We’re never going back to having a kicker routinely kicking 45-55 yd field goals. We’re gonna go for it more often than not on 4th down now.

The prognosticators at this stage of the season are most often not trying to predict team strength when they do preseason ratings. They are predicting where a team will finish in the final poll. Most publications predict we’ll be a strong team, but due to an extremely tough schedule, with 2 of the top 3 teams from the East on our crossover schedule plus all of the toughest B1G West games on the road, that we’ll drop 3 or 4 close games. If we had last years schedule, we’d be predicted to easily win the West division and probably a trendy dark horse B1G champion/playoff participant. As it stands, we’re considered the consensus #2 team.

So to answer your question, Oliver Martin getting a waiver could make us a CFP caliber team. PFF has us top 10 in their predictor model, FPI has us 23, and S&P+ has us 23rd. These are relative strength ratings before adding Martin. These rankings roughly measure team strength on a neutral field. So we are already considered legit top 20.

Agree, Flick. I think Martin will give them the option to run three-wide sets frequently. They may have been heading that way this season regardless since TE is in a transition right now.

I've read most of the preseason magazines, and most have the Hawks pegged in the vicinity of 20th to 35th in the Country headed into the 2019 season.

If Oliver Martin is granted immediate eligibility, I think Iowa has a chance at one of those special seasons. Having a slot receiver that can serve as Stanley's security blanket to pair with ISM and Brandon Smith on the outside would be a huge boost to the offense.

* Manage the brutal road schedule - at ISU, at MICH, at NW, at WIS and at NEB - go 3-2 or better
* Convert on third down on offense (45% or better) and get off the field on 3rd down on D (35% or less allowed)

Well broken down and great insightful post! Let’s hope he does come eligible for the upcoming season .. the NCAA owes Iowa a big one after the total screw job with the Ott situation a few years ago

OL really needs to take a big step forward on the run-blocking.

RB’s need to use their vision and find the cutback lanes when they are there.

It will be nice to see the return of some passes to our RB corps. That usually had good results for us last year.

DL needs to team up with improved LB corps and prove they can stop the run. I believe that the pass rush will be elite. Job 1: stop the run.

Ok — who does Martin compare most favorably to? Is he faster than quick?
Edelman? Emmanuel Sanders? Amari Cooper?

Hopefully he’s faster than Jerry Rice.

Ok — who does Martin compare most favorably to? Is he faster than quick?
Edelman? Emmanuel Sanders? Amari Cooper?

Hopefully he’s faster than Jerry Rice.

A more athletic Ed Hinkel. Good speed and runs good routes. Great hands.

Isn't this every Iowa season?

Martin seems comparable to Colin Sandeman. He had a solid if not spectacular career for the Hawks.

I think he’s a lot like DJK. Great hands, quick enough, smooth, good route runner, slips a lot of tackles (more crafty than shifty), ok blocker. Bottom line - he gets separation quickly and works to the QB. He’ll be a huge asset for us if he gets his waiver.

I think he’s a lot like DJK. Great hands, quick enough, smooth, good route runner, slips a lot of tackles (more crafty than shifty), ok blocker. Bottom line - he gets separation quickly and works to the QB. He’ll be a huge asset for us if he gets his waiver.

DJK was one of the most naturally gifted WRs, if not
Football players, ever, for the Hawkeyes at skill positions.
Could adjust speed as needed, great hands and tougher than most
Iowa fans gave him credit for....too bad about the drug thing, as
DJK might still be in the NFL. Hope Oliver is that good !!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT