ADVERTISEMENT

If Oliver Martin gets immediate eligibility, is Iowa a legit top 20 Team

I don't know where Doc would come up with this hypothesis ... the NCAA rarely gives athletes 6 years to play 4. What he's suggesting is that the NCAA would give OM a 6th year on the "back end" ... that's a veritable impossibility.

To be fair they should do that or at a minimum let them play 4 games in the transfer season.

I asked The Athletic's Scott Dochterman about Oliver's situation during a live chat today. Here's what he had to say:

Q. Will We hear a decision on Oliver Martin this week? What are your thoughts on his waiver situation?

A. It's difficult to predict the NCAA's timetable. Those officials are in vacation season and coming off a long holiday weekend, so I could see it maybe this week or next. I doubt Martin gets a waiver to play right away. My guess is he sits this year, but is awarded another season on the back end so he'll be able to play three years at Iowa.

When does this happen? Has it ever happened?
Pretty sure this was a miscommunication somehow.

No.
Find a kicker consistent from 40-55yds...
And a reliable punter...
And a running back that can move to the second level...
And a QB that plays confident and fearless...
And a run stuffing D-line...

and you have a good argument.

who has a kicker consistent at 55 yards? I know of one I can think of, and he kicks for the Ravens already.

I don't know where Doc would come up with this hypothesis ... the NCAA rarely gives athletes 6 years to play 4. What he's suggesting is that the NCAA would give OM a 6th year on the "back end" ... that's a veritable impossibility.

I agree. Not sure how that is even an option without an injury. I always hate how athletes who redshirt get punished more in the transfer process. Most of the time that’s not their choice.

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777

Tanner Lee situation or Kyle Kempt situation. This is more likely than a waiver. It is written into the rules you can get an extra year if you were for all intents and purposes forced out at your previous school because of a change in scheme.

It is in the rules.

That would probably benefit Iowa more in all honesty. I just don’t see how it is different or preferred by the NCAA vs making him eligible this year? Let him play this year so he doesn’t have to be in college 6 years if he doesn’t want to.

Looking forward to seeing him on the field.
His presence alone, however, is not likely to completely remake the passing game. Even less so to moving the team's ranking upward significantly.

Tanner Lee situation or Kyle Kempt situation. This is more likely than a waiver. It is written into the rules you can get an extra year if you were for all intents and purposes forced out at your previous school because of a change in scheme.
And how often does that work for a WR that is moving to a spread that still fully intends to pass the ball? It seems like an awfully weak argument to me.

Randall Grimes seems to me to be the closet comparison to Oliver Martin that I can find.
Grimes left USC and transferred to UNLV.. the same city he played high school ball at.

Grimes left an Air Raid offense under OC Graham Harrell to play at UNLV.. with whatever style an offense they run.

these waiver announcements don't always happen as quickly as folks would want.. but I am fully confident Martin's waiver will be approved.
perhaps its already been approved.. and it just hasn't been made public yet?

we'll see

Reactions: VicHawkeye
who has a kicker consistent at 55 yards? I know of one I can think of, and he kicks for the Ravens already.
That's a fair point. I think it all hinges on what you would consider consistent from the longer attempts. Can the kicker make that yardage? Can we consider an attempt? Can the kicker win a game on the possibility? That's what needs to be considered. Perhaps the difference between winning and losing a close game.

That's a fair point. I think it all hinges on what you would consider consistent from the longer attempts. Can the kicker make that yardage? Can we consider an attempt? Can the kicker win a game on the possibility? That's what needs to be considered. Perhaps the difference between winning and losing a close game.
I would say for college, consistent from inside the 40 is good, from inside the 50 is great, and consistent from longer than that is Groza award territory.

And how often does that work for a WR that is moving to a spread that still fully intends to pass the ball? It seems like an awfully weak argument to me.

I don’t know. Seems like a good reason to me. If you don’t fit the offense you don’t fit.

I've never thought about it that way, but you've got an interesting point for sure... this is worthy of its own thread (please, start that if you would). You could also make a case that those defenses were better because the offenses could move the ball more effectively.

Great post!
This..one of the best posts I've seen this year.

Hearing the coaches like their chances for O from a good source. :)

Aubrey Soloman, a former 5 star dline guy transferred from Michigan to Tennessee. Made the announcement on December 21st. His waiver was just approved yesterday. He'll be immediately eligible. That has to inspire confidence for Oliver Martin. Don't like the 7 month turnaround time, though.

My reason for thinking the waiver won't be approved is because we actually play the team he's transferring from this year. Hope I'm wrong......would be so great to see him out there this year.

Aubrey Soloman, a former 5 star dline guy transferred from Michigan to Tennessee. Made the announcement on December 21st. His waiver was just approved yesterday. He'll be immediately eligible. That has to inspire confidence for Oliver Martin. Don't like the 7 month turnaround time, though.

Really there was no rush with his. Sure he still was able to practice just like Martin can. Now this guy can play too. Martin will be practicing in August with the team, so he would be ready to go by Aug 31. They will hand down a decision by Aug 31.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT