ADVERTISEMENT

If punting is winning, Saturday night should prove it

Beattheohiostate

All-Conference
Aug 5, 2022
phoenix, AZ
Rutgers' Adam Korsak and Iowa's Tory Taylor are two of the best punters in the country, and with both toiling for offensively challenged teams, the punting game could be the decisive factor in Piscataway on Saturday night. It could be a rare contest, one that few teams in the country could provide, one that might take us back to the days of Nile Kinnick.

In 1939 Iowa upset No. 1 Notre Dame 7-6 with Kinnick punting 16 times for 731 yards, including a 63-yard boot under a heavy rush that pinned the Irish on the six-yard line late in the game. Many still consider it the greatest clutch punt in college football history, all things considered. Kinnick also scored Iowa's only touchdown that day and kicked the decisive extra point.

Taylor probably won't be scoring any TDs or kicking any extra points Saturday night, but he could challenge Kinnick's punting prowess. And if he does, punting might turn out to be winning, and 7-6 just might do the job again. Ah, the good old days . . .

Last year Rutgers set the NCAA record for Net Punting. Korask has not had a touchback since 2019.

Those Aussies know Punting. Should be quite the show.......unfortunately.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
We'd be 3-0 if punting was winning. So sick of that stupid phrase and mentality. If you bought one of those shirts you're an idiot or have a weird sense of humor

I think it's mostly sarcasm/gallows humor at this point more than an actual saying people take seriously.
I hope so. I'd rather see obvious shirts do a "Kirk Ferentz is terrible at offense" one like the "Brennan Davis is good at baseball" one I saw at I Cubs game. Let's not beat around the bush

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
ADVERTISEMENT