ADVERTISEMENT

If Russia launches a nuke at Kiev, what should the US response be?

funksouljon

HR Heisman
Jan 26, 2004
STL area
Hypothetical, UK continues to push Russia back, Ukraine then starts to attack systems in Western Russia as a way to reduce Russia's reach into Ukraine. Russia seems to state that is a red line for them, they will launch a nuke.

If Russia actually deploys a nuke on Kiev, what should be US and Nato response? I fear that a nuke would be step 1 towards a rapid escalation of global tit for tat. With the number of nukes Russia has, I don't see a way they can all be neutralized at once. But, does a nuke force the US / NATO to respond in a strategic military attack?

I’m sure they already have a response prepared but tactical carpet bombings of Russian military positions inside of Ukraine would be a start.

Oh yeah, I figure since this started no one in DC is getting sleep as they are running an infinite number of what if scenarios and creating recommended responses.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Joe Biden Falling GIF by GIPHY News

Don’t worry … we have our best guy working on it.

We eliminate all Russia assets in Ukraine and the Black Sea. We don’t touch anything inside actual Russian boundaries.
Do you think they would do something different if we hit 'inside actual Russian boundaries'?

Do you think in that event they must operate under someone else's definition of their boundaries?

We eliminate all Russia assets in Ukraine and the Black Sea. We don’t touch anything inside actual Russian boundaries. I believe this has been strongly hinted at.
Perhaps you say you’re neutralizing the threat to facilitate the humanitarian effort that would be required if Russia did something stupid like that.

We eliminate all Russia assets in Ukraine and the Black Sea. We don’t touch anything inside actual Russian boundaries. I believe this has been strongly hinted at.

Except Putin considers about 1/4 of Ukraine to be Russian territory, currently.

Reactions: funksouljon
They would launch strikes on US territory in retaliation if strikes were in Russian boundaries, I believe.
Pretty safe bet….

I’d be for sinking the Black Sea fleet…heck, any Russian warship in international waters.

Can’t attack Russia proper….that’s when mistakes happen (nuke wise)

Thrown in a no fly zone over Ukraine

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Pretty safe bet….

I’d be for sinking the Black Sea fleet…heck, any Russian warship in international waters.

Can’t attack Russia proper….that’s when mistakes happen (nuke wise)

Thrown in a no fly zone over Ukraine

F them. They attacked a sovereign nation

The one everyone swore would get us into WW3 but instead kept us out of any major international conflicts for 4 years? Yeah that was horrible. And now we're seriously discussing nuclear strike responses with a demented puppet at the helm.

Seriously, what were your previous usernames, because I'm 100% sure I have a half dozen of them on ignore.

And Trump would be great, if you wanted to follow Putin's lead and nuke Ukraine. Because he's a moron.

The one everyone swore would get us into WW3 but instead kept us out of any major international conflicts for 4 years? Yeah that was horrible. And now we're seriously discussing nuclear strike responses with a demented puppet at the helm.
So your point is Putin was afraid of Trump and would not have invaded Ukraine had he been re-elected?

True. I just don’t want nuclear Armageddon. Have kids and grandkids to think of…

I don't want one either. But I'm now a firm believer that "nuke scare" tactic is going to increase the proliferation of countries wanting them. Also, I don't want to die, but if it comes to that occurring, I'm goin on the front lawn nude with nothing other than sunglasses, and dying immediately. Better than dying from radiation or hunger.

That can not happen.

I am guessing we would eliminate all Russian targets inside of Ukraine, and potentially sink the Black Sea fleet.

Im guessing this is the “catastrophic” response that the US has indicated they have warned Russia of. I doubt they’re beating around the bush when talking to them….the best deterrent is one that is not used.

Who's "they", the hundreds of Russian civilians you'd be vaporizing as a result? Hopefully those handling Biden are smarter than this.

With despots you cut the head off.

I suppose you think we were wrong on Japan too. Well, that is fine. But you are not going to defeat Russia with Putin still on this planet. He has a stranglehold on the government. He'd rather all his citizens die before relinquishing power.

I don’t think the scenario you paint is close to the real one. First off, though the war is going great for Ukraine, they are very far off from recapturing their land and won’t be a threat to doing much of anything in western Russia. I also think Putin knows leveling a city like Kyiv would turn entire world against him.

The bigger threat is now due to ass kicking them using a few small tactical nukes to try to look strong and perhaps force negotiations. If that happens I think they will at first pull every card they have to force Putin’s removal/death. If that is not going to happen you will probably see massive strikes on Russians in Ukraine and Crimea and the end of his Black Sea fleet. I think Putin knows this too which is why he is just shooting cruise missiles into Kyiv after the bridge was hit. He would have played that card this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT