ADVERTISEMENT

If Russia launches a nuke at Kiev, what should the US response be?

As a libertarian this is a fascinating thread. A generation ago the far left was anti-war and anti-nuclear. Now we have many on the far left ready to start a nuclear war and WWIII.

Reactions: Hammer93
We shut down our electrical system for two minutes as we blow this up over the Urals or where P-man is staying.

AYGA.gif
EMP is among the scarier ways that NK could actually retaliate against the U.S. They already have the means, and it doesn't require nearly the same accuracy.

In a U.S. House of Representatives hearing on Thursday, members of the recently defunded EMP Commission informed congress of the devastation an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) attack could inflict on the country. In a commissioned report, former EMP Commissions chairman, William Graham, and its former chief of staff, Peter Vincent Pry, referred to North Korea using an EMP as a "doomsday scenario," citing Kim Jong-Un's well-documented threats to turn the U.S. to "ashes."

It could use its demonstrated satellite launcher to carry a nuclear weapon over the South Polar region and detonate it…over the United States to create a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse ... The result could be to shut down the U.S. electric power grid for an indefinite period, leading to the death within a year of up to 90 percent of all Americans.

Seriously, what were your previous usernames, because I'm 100% sure I have a half dozen of them on ignore.

And Trump would be great, if you wanted to follow Putin's lead and nuke Ukraine. Because he's a moron.
Nope, just one I still use in the lounge and I'm not sharing bc losers like you can't put politics aside there either.
It's funny you just put anyone who disagrees with you on ignore though. "It has to be all just the same person!"

With despots you cut the head off.

I suppose you think we were wrong on Japan too. Well, that is fine. But you are not going to defeat Russia with Putin still on this planet. He has a stranglehold on the government. He'd rather all his citizens die before relinquishing power.
Comparing Japan in the 40s to Putin's Russia today is mind numbingly stupid. Not even in the same stratosphere. Did Japan have tactical nukes they could respond with?
Yes, it was the best of a lot of bad options at the time but there's a reason it's not been used since. Doing so now would likely mean the end of mankind.

The likelihood of Russia using a city killing nuke is astronomically small. It is much more likely they use a tactical nuke on the battlefield.

If I was NATO I would make it known in the strongest possible terms that even a tactical nuke is a red line:
  • Immediate dismantling of Russian air defense capabilities in any Ukrainian territory including Crimea
  • Move multiple carrier groups into the Black Sea (regardless of Turkey’s possible protest)
  • Destruction of the Black Sea fleet and immediate air/missile/drone attacks on all known Russian troop concentrations in Ukraine
  • No fly zone over Ukraine enforced by NATO
  • Expedited entry of Ukraine into NATO
  • Complete embargo of trade with Russia
  • But, NO attacks on Russian territory as defined by pre-Crimea invasion borders
The consequences must be real and severe for any use of a nuclear weapon. If we are not willing to go to great lengths to prevent it then we will see Iran, NK, Russia and others ratchet up their aggression. The threat of a nuclear attack must be met with the credible, albeit non nuclear, threat to destroy Putin’s military.

Reactions: eb05
Idiots were arguing that we should use nukes in Korea and Vietnam. Now that is mind numbingly stupid.
MacArthur wanted to use them, but the rest of the military explained to Congress it was nuts. They didn’t make it public. They let him fade away.

Goldwater didn’t fair well with people thinking he’d entertain nuclear weapons in Vietnam.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
It could use its demonstrated satellite launcher to carry a nuclear weapon over the South Polar region and detonate it…over the United States to create a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse ... The result could be to shut down the U.S. electric power grid for an indefinite period, leading to the death within a year of up to 90 percent of all Americans.
A EMP attack would be devastating but I have a hard time believing losing the power grid would kill 90% of Americans. Seems exaggerated...

A EMP attack would be devastating but I have a hard time believing losing the power grid would kill 90% of Americans. Seems exaggerated...
Definitely the extreme end based on the extreme situation of not having the infrastructure restored, but excess deaths would number in the millions and the economic impact of an EMP would be crippling.

On up to 90% U.S. fatalities from an EMP attack, during a congressional hearing, Rep. Roscoe Bartlett asked me if such high fatalities could result, and I responded: “We don’t have experience with losing the infrastructure in a country with 300 million people, most of whom don’t live in a way that provides for their own food and other needs. We can go back to an era when people did live like that. That would be—10 percent would be 30 million people, and that is probably the range where we could survive as a basically rural economy.” U.S. House of Representatives, Hearing, “Threat Posed By Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack” Committee on Armed Services (Washington, D.C.: July 10, 2008), p. 9.
9 Jim Oberg, Space Review

We eliminate all Russia assets in Ukraine and the Black Sea. We don’t touch anything inside actual Russian boundaries. I believe this has been strongly hinted at.

I know Petraeus suspects that is the response NATO has lined up which is probably the best we have from someone that was likely at one point connected with their thinking.

Hard to say, I think everyone is trying to maintain strategic ambiguity on this one.

basically this would be putin’s future but with the us actually getting the wmod part right this time

BVKD3RABOFFQ5OAW2GU4POTNRA.jpg

First of all, this threat didn't keep us from arming the Afghans, opposing Russian interests in Vietnam, etc. This isn't a new scenario.

If Russia uses a nuke, it will make the direct military aid so far look like a pat on the butt and a "go get 'em". You''ll probably end up with a no fly zone over Ukrainian territory, and Nato pilots and personnel in Ukraine. Russia is already losing the war, but it absolutely seals the deal on any chance Russia has to get out of this with their skin. It probably results in Russia losing their Ukrainian holdings including Crimea.

Long term, the disincentive is even more damning, which is probably US nuclear installations, if not bases, in Ukraine, Poland, and other US allies in the region. In other words, it ends with EXACTLY what Putin started the war claiming Russia needed to prevent.

Putin didn't start this war expecting to lose. He didn't know/think that the Russian army would be so pathetic, the Ukrainians would be so prepared, and the world would be so lined up for Ukraine. He is an evil despot, but I don't think he's in Leroy Jenkins mode, and ready to make a move that will render all his worst case scenario a reality.

Reactions: eb05
We should have Putin and Biden play a bunch of tic tac toe games really really fast until he learns that the only way to win is not to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT