ADVERTISEMENT

If Smith, Bono, Sanderson, Ryan etc.

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
Do you think if a bunch of coaches like these, and more, got behind naming the Hawks as national champions the NCAA would follow suit?

Set up an open in late October/early November and invite the top 8 or 12 at each weight and keep team scores. Crown winners at each weight as the 2020 champion

Reactions: MilleGinja
Just tell yourself Iowa is 2020 champs. That's about as good as trying to convince yourself that some made up open tournament is going to do the same thing.

Let it go... Our athletes and coaches don’t want anything anointed to them. Unfortunately they weren’t able to get what they earned. On to St. Louis in 2021...

Even some PSU dimwit who ran a "virtual" tournament couldn't bring herself to make up a scenario where we didn't win. We are the 2020 NCAA champs.
As far as I'm concerned we are, and I don't give a damn what anybody thinks about that proclamation. No banner, no trophy, don't care. We had the best team in the nation from beginning to end by a wide margin and proved it every step of the way. I've "crowned em", don't care if anybody else does.

Denny Green said "you wanna crown'em, crown'em". Thanks Denny, I did! ;)

Sorry no one wins. No National Champions in men’s or women’s basketball, swimming, lacrosse,
Wrestling, softball, baseball, and any of the others. Unfortunate, but our new reality in 2020.

As far as I'm concerned we are, and I don't give a damn what anybody thinks about that proclamation. No banner, no trophy, don't care. We had the best team in the nation from beginning to end by a wide margin and proved it every step of the way. I've "crowned em", don't care if anybody else does.

Denny Green said "you wanna crown'em, crown'em". Thanks Denny, I did! ;)

Didnt the Bears lose that Super Bowl?

Do you think if a bunch of coaches like these, and more, got behind naming the Hawks as national champions the NCAA would follow suit?

I noticed you bolded "If" , but why even ask? Does anyone expect Carl, Tom, Koll etc. to clamor for naming Iowa National Champs?

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I personally would have no problem with a coaches vote to determine the 2020 team national champion, but it just isn't going to happen.The fundamental problem is the NCAA does not make rulings for individual sports, they view them as groups with wrestling being part of winter sports. So even though Iowa would win a coaches poll without much debate, there are plenty of sports where it would cause all kind of controversy, especially basketball, and they don't want to deal with that.

I did write the IF they were asked. I find it kind of weird no one in the media has even asked the question. I'm not saying the Hawks should get rings, a team trophy, or a banner. What I am saying is that if I was a reporter for Flo or another wrestling media I would be asking the question, just out of curiosity.

I did write the IF they were asked. I find it kind of weird no one in the media has even asked the question. I'm not saying the Hawks should get rings, a team trophy, or a banner. What I am saying is that if I was a reporter for Flo or another wrestling media I would be asking the question, just out of curiosity.
What is there to be curious about? We piss pounded all of them in various formats.

What is there to be curious about? We piss pounded all of them in various formats.
Seriously. While I would love one, we don't need a vote. We were far and away the best team at every event. We were going to win NCAAs by 30-40+ points. Any non-biased and a lot of biased people that were paying any attention will say oh yeah there was that one year where Iowa got screwed out of a NCAA title by a virus. If they vote great if not I can live with it. Where it would have stunk is if we were not the prohibitive favorites but it wasn't even close. I am sure it stings a lot for the coaches and individual wrestlers but as a fan I have moved on. We were the NCAA champs and I have moved on to worrying about if we will have a 2021 season or college wrestling ever again.

I think the record book will say 2020=no tournament held. Don't think there will be an * stating Iowa was the best team. Please let 2021 season happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT