ADVERTISEMENT

If the Apostle Paul were to write a letter to the American Church today

alaskanseminole

HB Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, to the churches in America: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I thank my God always for you, for the faith you have in the Lord and the love you show toward one another. Yet, dear brothers and sisters, I must address matters that have arisen among you, causing division and confusion. It has come to my attention that many of you are placing your hope and allegiance in a man of the world, exalting him beyond measure and equating his policies with the will of God.

On the Matter of Leaders and Kings
Let us remember, beloved, what the Scriptures teach: “There is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God” (Romans 13:1). Yet we must also hold our leaders accountable, as their conduct must align with righteousness and justice. Do not be swayed by those who speak of power, wealth, or human wisdom, for God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the strong (1 Corinthians 1:27). Remember, “our citizenship is in heaven,” and we are ambassadors of Christ, not of earthly kingdoms (Philippians 3:20).

Concerning the Character of Leaders
Some of you claim that you must support a man because he speaks against certain evils, such as the shedding of innocent blood. Indeed, we are called to defend the vulnerable, and we must always stand for life, for every human is made in the image of God. But consider this, dear friends: Is not the fruit of the Spirit love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23)? If a leader lacks these qualities, should we not be cautious in our support, knowing that the Lord searches the heart and judges not only actions but motives?

On the Danger of Idolatry
I fear that some among you have begun to place their trust in a man, making him an idol in their hearts. Have we not been warned, “Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength” (Jeremiah 17:5)? Do not allow political power to distract you from the true calling of the Church, which is to proclaim Christ crucified and risen. Let no leader become for you a stumbling block that hinders the gospel of grace.

A Call to Discernment and Unity
I urge you, brothers and sisters, to test everything and hold fast to what is good (1 Thessalonians 5:21). Do not be quick to excuse unrighteousness for the sake of temporary gains. Our battle is not against flesh and blood, nor is it won by political victories, but by the power of the Spirit, which transforms hearts and minds.

Above all, I appeal to you to live in unity and love, seeking first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. Let us not be divided by the affairs of this world but united in Christ, for we are one body. Pray for your leaders, that they may govern with wisdom, humility, and justice. But let your ultimate hope rest in Jesus, who is the true King of kings and Lord of lords.

Closing Blessing
May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, guiding you in all truth and love, so that in all things you may glorify God and shine as lights in a dark world.

Yours in Christ,
Paul, an Apostle by the will of God

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT