ADVERTISEMENT

If the fall season is cancelled

hawkfeever

HR Heisman
Aug 5, 2016
Big if, but if it were cancelled, would they just use this season's schedule for next year and slid all future schedules out 1 year or how you think that would work? If they canned Iowa's schedule this year and did not play it next year we would lose a fantastic home schedule.

I am guessing it would mostly shift forward by 1 year with any non-con stuff subject to some change as needed, but one would think if everyone shifted forward one year and stayed as is it should be good to go.

Big if, but if it were cancelled, would they just use this season's schedule for next year and slid all future schedules out 1 year or how you think that would work? If they canned Iowa's schedule this year and did not play it next year we would lose a fantastic home schedule.

I am guessing it would mostly shift forward by 1 year with any non-con stuff subject to some change as needed, but one would think if everyone shifted forward one year and stayed as is it should be good to go.
In all seriousness. If this is still a problem in August we have much bigger issues then the football season......

In all seriousness. If this is still a problem in August we have much bigger issues then the football season......
Correct. If this is still going on in August our economy will be a disaster. That would also mean this virus has not burnt itself out and is still a major problem.

I would be surprised if this is still a big deal by August. It might still be around, but we should have a vaccine by then and I would assume that the virus would be in full retreat by then. And I base this on absolutely NOTHING. ;)

They won't have a vaccine by September. Maybe they have a therapy that does well when infected by then. The thing is many of the fans who go are in the age groups most impacted. Every single thing you read is this distancing deal works until you stop distancing and then it will fire back up for those who haven't already had it. I bet they would play without fans in attendance if that was allowed as tv demand would be extreme.

So what if they don't want crowds of 70,000 people gathering?
Then they'd play without the crowd. The TV demand, which is where most the revenue is, would be off the charts if everything is shut down until football season. I have no idea if this will be resolved by fall or not. I'm just saying if its not resolved where most Americans can go back to work including going to restaurants and public events by then we're in serious shit. This stimulus package there approving is huge $$$, more then the annual budget. But it won't carry people or business over for that long. If this is still a huge limiting factor by Sept. it will make the Great depression look like kids play......

Then they'd play without the crowd. The TV demand, which is where most the revenue is, would be off the charts if everything is shut down until football season. I have no idea if this will be resolved by fall or not. I'm just saying if its not resolved where most Americans can go back to work including going to restaurants and public events by then we're in serious shit. This stimulus package there approving is huge $$$, more then the annual budget. But it won't carry people or business over for that long. If this is still a huge limiting factor by Sept. it will make the Great depression look like kids play......

Ever wonder how in a snap of your fingers there is $2 trillion dollars to throw out? If they can do that then why not another snap later on for $5 trillion to keep people rolling? I don't suspect most business will be impacted by then, but they I am surmising might have a limit on gathering size due to no vaccine yet at that point. But yeah it could be Mad Max Thunderdome stuff by then too.

Some of the most realistic models I've seen seem to be projecting that covid-19 will be continuing to impact us up through next winter.

As an educator - all my teaching is shifting to online ... and I anticipate that it will remain that way next fall too.

So be prepared to take on this puppy for the long-haul.

Ever wonder how in a snap of your fingers there is $2 trillion dollars to throw out? If they can do that then why not another snap later on for $5 trillion to keep people rolling? I don't suspect most business will be impacted by then, but they I am surmising might have a limit on gathering size due to no vaccine yet at that point. But yeah it could be Mad Max Thunderdome stuff by then too.
Rest assured, someone will pay for this bailout, thats just how it works. Unfortunately it will probably be the same people who are out of work right now. This $$$ doesn't grow on trees, despite what some would lead you to believe.

If it's enough of an issue that they don't want crowds then they aren't going to play period. The players themselves would be at risk. You don't want to put 22 young men in close proximity, sweating, breathing, coughing, and spitting on one and other.

If it's enough of an issue that they don't want crowds then they aren't going to play period. The players themselves would be at risk. You don't want to put 22 young men in close proximity, sweating, breathing, coughing, and spitting on one and other.

With testing ramping up like it is why cant all players get tested every week? The testing rates are rising exponentially every day. By fall they should have a good handle on this.

With testing ramping up like it is why cant all players get tested every week? The testing rates are rising exponentially every day. By fall they should have a good handle on this.
If a viable vaccine can be produced sooner rather than later - that could impact the time-line for the better. As for weekly testing - maybe that could make a difference - the virus has a rather protracted incubation time ... and I'm not certain how that would impact the possibility of false-negatives.

They won't have a vaccine by September. Maybe they have a therapy that does well when infected by then. The thing is many of the fans who go are in the age groups most impacted. Every single thing you read is this distancing deal works until you stop distancing and then it will fire back up for those who haven't already had it. I bet they would play without fans in attendance if that was allowed as tv demand would be extreme.
If we are still social distancing, students won’t be on campus. So football players won’t be available. The NFL might play without fans, but college won’t.

Reactions: unIowa
Rest assured, someone will pay for this bailout, thats just how it works. Unfortunately it will probably be the same people who are out of work right now. This $$$ doesn't grow on trees, despite what some would lead you to believe.

Sure don't. It is all digital.

If a viable vaccine can be produced sooner rather than later - that could impact the time-line for the better. As for weekly testing - maybe that could make a difference - the virus has a rather protracted incubation time ... and I'm not certain how that would impact the possibility of false-negatives.

Vaccine will not be ready. You have to get it through approvals and produce and distribute and give, what 300 million doses or better? I am sure there will be some that say nah I aint getting that it will just give me the flu.

Back on topic here......

No, they would just cancel the season and move on to the next season's schedule. They would not push everything back.

Yes, we would lose a good schedule (6th toughest in the nation, apparently), but oh well.......less losses for us on the bright side!!! :)

Ncaa looking at option of moving fall football 2020 to spring 2021.

wow- i hadnt heard of this. it would be so strange to go to college football games in the spring. college football and fall weather just seem meant for one another.

They should have adequate testing by then (dear God, I hope so--what a f-up that's been; this crisis might already be resolved if the idiot in chief had been on top of this from the get-go) and hopefully enough PPEs and ventilators. And if they have an anti-viral by then things could be (relatively) back to normal. There won't be a vaccine until some time in 2021 would be my guess, but other measures could mitigate the crisis. The one thing that could screw everything up is if people stop practicing social distancing too early and there's a resurgence of the virus that cripples the hospitals (again). We're still in the beginnings of the worst of the public health crisis so we'll see how things play out. Too early to really know what the situation will be by July.

I would be surprised if this is still a big deal by August. It might still be around, but we should have a vaccine by then and I would assume that the virus would be in full retreat by then. And I base this on absolutely NOTHING. ;)

There will be no vaccine by August 2020...August 2021 maybe, but not August 2020.

Last edited:
Vaccine will not be ready. You have to get it through approvals and produce and distribute and give, what 300 million doses or better? I am sure there will be some that say nah I aint getting that it will just give me the flu.
Sadly, I'm doubtful too ... but for a different reason. The world didn't have a terrible turnaround for the last swine flu ... having a vaccine ready by November of '09. However, the big problem there is that much of our pandemic preparedness has been centered more on preparing for the flu. Thus, we're pretty good at coming up with vaccines for the flu-family of viruses ... however, I'm not certain that corona viruses can be approached in precisely the same way.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/706717_1

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00798-8

Back on topic here......

No, they would just cancel the season and move on to the next season's schedule. They would not push everything back.

Yes, we would lose a good schedule (6th toughest in the nation, apparently), but oh well.......less losses for us on the bright side!!! :)
Yeah, that is how I imagine things would work out. If they scrap the season out of caution (which likely would be justified) - then I imagine they'd just advance to the next season's schedule.

Back on topic here......

Here's another thought ... what happens to the players in terms of eligibility?

Do seniors in '20 all get a 6th year? I would imagine that scenario is probable ... but it leads to some log-jamming in terms of eligibility.

I always thought you were presidential material. :confused:

Reactions: scotthawk1964
They should have adequate testing by then (dear God, I hope so--what a f-up that's been; this crisis might already be resolved if the idiot in chief had been on top of this from the get-go) and hopefully enough PPEs and ventilators. And if they have an anti-viral by then things could be (relatively) back to normal. There won't be a vaccine until some time in 2021 would be my guess, but other measures could mitigate the crisis. The one thing that could screw everything up is if people stop practicing social distancing too early and there's a resurgence of the virus that cripples the hospitals (again). We're still in the beginnings of the worst of the public health crisis so we'll see how things play out. Too early to really know what the situation will be by July.

I will set up a VENMO so you can send me your Trump check coming in a couple weeks. You don't want to be taking that money I know.

Open things up within two weeks— this is ridiculous. Since sept 36 million people have had the flu. Yes some at risk die from that too.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
You realize that there are only a couple of companies that make those machines, and they can only make about 200 per year max right? Its a very tightly calibrated machine and they literally only make a few per week. When they interviewed the CEO he said they might be able to double that production, tops.

If the fall season were cancelled, there is no way they bump the schedule back a year. It'd be a lost season.

You realize that there are only a couple of companies that make those machines, and they can only make about 200 per year max right? Its a very tightly calibrated machine and they literally only make a few per week. When they interviewed the CEO he said they might be able to double that production, tops.

Believe I saw where Elon Musk is reopening a plant in NY to start production of the ventilators. Dude gets into everything.

I know a bunch of engineers who work in the medical-tech field. There are a plethora of reasons why the production doesn't necessarily scale well. Part of it is traditionally linked to demand ... most equipment is expensive as hell (and the number of people who are in critical lung-condition are not super-high). Consequently, they don't have manufacturing plants set up for high production (limited materials, limited square-footage, etc).

Another facet is that nearly any life-saving device is pretty significantly regulated (in terms of compliance and all that). Thus, that also creates some bottlenecks too. Of course, we don't what a shoddily made thing trying to keep us alive either - so the regulations aren't all bad here.

Believe I saw where Elon Musk is reopening a plant in NY to start production of the ventilators. Dude gets into everything.
Yes, I'm aware that both Tesla and GM have said they'll be attempting to produce these machines, but not convinced that they'll be able to mass produce these, just based off what the experts have said. Its not the same thing as building a car, and we sure as hell don't want them recalled in a few months.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT