ADVERTISEMENT

If the playoffs had eight teams . . .

grayhair81

HR Legend
Sep 3, 2006
I can't imagine the amount of anger and despair that would be flying around the Net today. The only glimmer of controversy this year was whether LSU or OSU got the one seed. Here is the list of teams that would have been in play for the 5-8 seeds:
Georgia 11-2 with a bad loss to SC and a decisive loss to LSU
Baylor. 11-2 with both losses to the 4 seed
Utah 11-2
Oregon 11-2
Florida 10-2
PSU 10-2
BAMA 10-2
ND 10-2
WISCY 9-3 with one bad loss and two losses to the #2 seed
Auburn 9-3 with wins over Bama and Oregon
Minny 10-2
Memphis at 12-1

We would come up with a lot of different lists for those four teams if all the posters on here presented a list.

Absolutely. That's why ever other NCAA D-1 sport has at least 20 (FCS football), and usually 68 teams who compete on the field--not in a conference room--for the national title. :rolleyes:
This is the Appeal to Authority and Bandwagon fallacy.

Also nice that this year didn’t require much of a conference room at all.

Reactions: Cydkar
I believe the 5 conference champions should all be in with 3 at large. It's the only fair way.
I don't think Oregon or any one else not in the playoffs this year deserves a shot at the national championship.

College Football should look very closely at how the NFL overexposed their product with Thursday night and Sunday night games. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

I have come full circle and now love the NFL Thursday games. Sunday night is the best game of the week. MNF is a tradition.

I'm thinking the NFL nailed it on the exposure angle.
You might like it but ratings and attendance are down.

An 8 team playoff is dumb. We have three teams that deserve a shot at the championship and they are all in the playoff.
because there is never debate of which 2/3/4 conferences deserve to be represented?

yes there are the top 3 and then everyone else this year, more than likely it won't be that easy next year....

Reactions: iahawks10
I believe the 5 conference champions should all be in with 3 at large. It's the only fair way.
Yup.

It's not that hard. The only way an 8-team playoff works is to include the P5 champions. Here's how it would look this year:

1 LSU vs 8 Memphis

4 Oklahoma vs 5 Oregon

3 Clemson vs 6 Georgia

2 Ohio State vs 7 Baylor

- Top 5 seeds P5 champs
- 2 at large teams
- highest-ranked G5 champ, 8th seed unless ranked higher than anyone with the top 7

OK. So add Oregon. Who are the last three? Based on what criteria? I would say Georgia, Bama, and PSU. Many people would disagree with thosd picks. Point is that there is no system that would not create controversy.

Absolutely. That's why ever other NCAA D-1 sport has at least 20 (FCS football), and usually 68 teams who compete on the field--not in a conference room--for the national title. :rolleyes:

Every other division, at every other level, in any major sport..... yep. They must all be on the bandwagon.

OK. So add Oregon. Who are the last three? Based on what criteria? I would say Georgia, Bama, and PSU. Many people would disagree with thosd picks. Point is that there is no system that would not create controversy.
Wrong. That's what the polls/rankings are still needed for. Highest ranked teams remaining will be the at-large teams.

That's why Baylor and Georgia were listed in my post above.

the point is that if you win your conf you should be in.

if you dont, and aren't picked, then you dont have a whole lot to whine about(obviously people will, but nobody will care because they will have no legit reason to)

That said each conf needs to be limited to 2 teams if it goes to 8.

That would obviously lead to lesser teams being included over better teams.
isn't this whole argument because people question the "rankings" and the fact there is no fair way to accurately compare the conferences, especially when many play only one p5 OOC game.

how do we know they are lesser? OSU is ranked below LSU, doesn't mean I believe LSU must be better. They could be, but nobody knows that....

isn't this whole argument because people question the "rankings" and the fact there is no fair way to accurately compare the conferences, especially when many play only one p5 OOC game.

how do we know they are lesser? OSU is ranked below LSU, doesn't mean I believe LSU must be better. They could be, but nobody knows that....
Meh.

Controversy sure, but itd be fair.

An 8 team playoff is dumb. We have three teams that deserve a shot at the championship and they are all in the playoff.
So is FCS playoffs dumb? UNI is in the quarter finals and they weren’t even seeded. A team can make a run. Wild card teams win playoff games and make division championship game too.

This exactly. We hear SEC every year because they get the lions share of the media exposure. Sorry, but past LSU, and just maybe Bama this year, the BIG is a much better conference this year, and top to bottom its not even close. You'd never know it if you just turn on the TV though.

Reactions: Hawksofly101789
So is FCS playoffs dumb? UNI is in the quarter finals and they weren’t even seeded. A team can make a run. Wild card teams win playoff games and make division championship game too.
Continuing to add more games to P5 college football would be dumb.

As it stands every week is critical. That keeps fans incredibly invested through the entire season.

We already ask students to put their bodies on the line 12 times a year, plus a conference championship, plus two more playoff games to win the Natty. Adding more and more games has academic and health consequences.

How much more do you want to feed into this monster? Schools, coaches, networks and soon the top players will be swimming in cash. Think long and hard about what is great about college athletics and what needs to be preserved.

Last, I think less is more. Look at the Rose Bowl. The obsession with a championship has ruined what used to be the crown jewel of college football, and replaced it with a playoff that most of the time is a regional battle of southeastern teams. It’s sad in my opinion.

I realize I am not going to convince anybody and I have an unpopular opinion. Oh well.

FCS
NFL
High School
MLB
NCAA BB
NBA
All levels of Hockey

Pretty much everyone besides the FBS. It’s everyone else that’s dumb.

Reactions: Niko13 and iafan44
Hell with 8, give us 16. We'd see some amazing football over the holidays. These bowl games are losing interest every year.

Very true. I have ZERO interest in the non-B1G bowl games. But if the top 16 teams were playing for a shot at the title. I'd be interested. Especially at #16 YOUR Iowa Hawkeyes would be playoff bound and playing LSU!

Sure, maybe we get smoked, but the stakes would be higher

16 TEAM playoffs... This year. Based on playoff rankings.

LSU vs Iowa
OSU vs ND
Clemson vs Michigan
Oklahoma vs Alabama
Georgia vs Auburn
Oregon vs Utah
Baylor vs PSU
Wisconsin vs Florida

Ummmm, YES PLEASE. Who wouldn't be excited to see these matchups with REAL championship stakes?

Reactions: iafan44 and Niko13
I don't think Oregon or any one else not in the playoffs this year deserves a shot at the national championship.

College Football should look very closely at how the NFL overexposed their product with Thursday night and Sunday night games. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

How is the basketball tourney different? One could argue, using your logic, that the basketball tournament should be cut down dramatically with so many undeserving teams participating

Is the FBS regular season the best in sports?
Not for most teams, one loss and you are eliminated (unless you are Alabama then you get that mulligan). All the media cares about is the CFP, major bowls and winning conferences don't matter. The regular season actually has less importance now than ever plus the bowls don't even matter now, just the CFP.

Expand the CFP with conference champs getting an autobid and every divisional race would matter. Every conference championship would matter.

How is the basketball tourney different? One could argue, using your logic, that the basketball tournament should be cut down dramatically with so many undeserving teams participating
Because we only ask football players to play once a week since it is so physically grueling. If you keep adding games it becomes a battle of attrition and the teams with the deeper benches have a big advantage.

Because we only ask football players to play once a week since it is so physically grueling. If you keep adding games it becomes a battle of attrition and the teams with the deeper benches have a big advantage.

How’s many games do FCS teams play if they make the championship game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT