ADVERTISEMENT

if they made a scented candle from your hometown, what would it smell like?

Sulphur. The smell of degrading seaweed.

Shrimp. The smell of the water dripping out the back of the trucks carrying shrimp from the shrimp boats on the docks.

Ocean. But, that doesn't smell like fragrance "ocean".

Reactions: runkpanole
Sulphur. The smell of degrading seaweed.

Shrimp. The smell of the water dripping out the back of the trucks carrying shrimp from the shrimp boats on the docks.

Ocean. But, that doesn't smell like fragrance "ocean".
P.S. My hometown smells are better than yours ;)

Now: Nouveau riche pretentiousness and insecurity

When I lived there as a child: Money as farmers sold out to developers.

Reactions: GOHOX69
The scent of fresh brewed coffee from the huge Maxwell House Coffee plant 10 miles away from my house. We used to smell it a lot growing up but now we only get the scent on chilly clear mornings. It smells good!

30 years ago it would have been the heady scent of the papermills on the northside.

Nothing said "Welcome to Florida" quite like that. Thankfully, that's gone today.

Reactions: goldmom
I worked next to a pop-tart factory in Chanhassen, Mn. I worked next to a cookie and cake factory in Edina, Mn. Those were pleasant morning smells at first, but after a few years......

Sioux City isn't called "the sewer" for nothing.

I grew up in morningside, so on a warm summer day with a slight northerly breeze you could smell the water treatment plant. Smelled like literal shit.

Just beat me to it. The stockyards are no longer there, but the processing plants still put off quite the aroma. And yes that treatment plant isn’t any better.

When I grew up there it smelled like cement dust. In the north end of town there was always a fresh layer of cement dust on everything.

Sioux City isn't called "the sewer" for nothing.

I grew up in morningside, so on a warm summer day with a slight northerly breeze you could smell the water treatment plant. Smelled like literal shit.
I always thought "sewer city" came from the smell the meat processing plants generate.

I claim two:

Constipated farts from every mother bringing Scotcheroos and every father some meat concoction to low fiber potluck - Parkersburg

Just a little itty bitty bit better than Waterloo and we know it - Cedar Falls

The scent of fresh brewed coffee from the huge Maxwell House Coffee plant 10 miles away from my house. We used to smell it a lot growing up but now we only get the scent on chilly clear mornings. It smells good!
Where is that? Despite what QC says, the East Side of Iowa City used to smell of Crest toothpaste and Scope mouthwash from the P&G plant. It was quite a minty, refreshing scent. Then I suppose they got better filtration and we don’t smell it much anymore. Plus, I think they moved the Scope production to another plant.

Where is that? Despite what QC says, the East Side of Iowa City used to smell of Crest toothpaste and Scope mouthwash from the P&G plant. It was quite a minty, refreshing scent. Then I suppose they got better filtration and we don’t smell it much anymore. Plus, I think they moved the Scope production to another plant.

Filters to handle Scope and toothpaste odors - very effective

Hog farms, municipal sewers, pet food mfg., soybean processing - no filter ever works

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT