ADVERTISEMENT

If we had Purdy we would be unbeaten.

It wouldn’t matter, we’d still have close losses. Probably would be unbeaten with Mahomes, though.

If the Hawks had Jonathan Taylor would he have rushed for 250 against the stinkin’ Badgers? Nope.
I dunno about Mahomes. His senior year at Tech, ISU beat him 66-10.

I agree with Campbell's decision. His team had the momentum but the tank was running low and you don't want to take Jalen Hurts into overtime. Matt Campbell plays to win, not avoid losing. Iowa could and probably should be 7 - 2 or even 8 - 1 at this point if they played with the same attitude (they could actually be 5 - 4 at this point given this same mentality during the Purdue game). And if they did have a pair and played to win, the worst I see them being at this point is where they are - 6 - 3 and an also-ran yet another season. If Iowa did not have PP and the defense it has, they would be Maryland - or worse. Defense keeps you in the game, your offense wins it. If offensive play were taken half as seriously at Iowa as it is at ISU - instead of always being a work in progress after-thought (why else would you hand the OC keys to inferiorly experienced Brian - most OCs work MANY years to get to the P5 level?). We have VERY GOOD players - but playing favorites (ex: Martin - 4-star good enough to start for Michigan but not big, bad Iowa?) and not using your resources well will make any resource look bad. I think Stanley is BETTER than Purdy but when you bring a knife to a gun fight offensively, only so much any player - no matter how great - can do. The Ferentzi need to coach-up and not control-down and trust the players they have to win ballgames. Expectations have been so well-managed downward at Iowa, Kinnick is starting to feel like a morgue. Excitement is the first thing to die. Pollard and Campbell know this. It's been forgotten or ignored by Barta and Ferenrz in favor of conservative control.

I agree with Campbell's decision. His team had the momentum but the tank was running low and you don't want to take Jalen Hurts into overtime. Matt Campbell plays to win, not avoid losing. Iowa could and probably should be 7 - 2 or even 8 - 1 at this point if they played with the same attitude (they could actually be 5 - 4 at this point given this same mentality during the Purdue game). And if they did have a pair and played to win, the worst I see them being at this point is where they are - 6 - 3 and an also-ran yet another season. If Iowa did not have PP and the defense it has, they would be Maryland - or worse. Defense keeps you in the game, your offense wins it. If offensive play were taken half as seriously at Iowa as it is at ISU - instead of always being a work in progress after-thought (why else would you hand the OC keys to inferiorly experienced Brian - most OCs work MANY years to get to the P5 level?). We have VERY GOOD players - but playing favorites (ex: Martin - 4-star good enough to start for Michigan but not big, bad Iowa?) and not using your resources well will make any resource look bad. I think Stanley is BETTER than Purdy but when you bring a knife to a gun fight offensively, only so much any player - no matter how great - can do. The Ferentzi need to coach-up and not control-down and trust the players they have to win ballgames. Expectations have been so well-managed downward at Iowa, Kinnick is starting to feel like a morgue. Excitement is the first thing to die. Pollard and Campbell know this. It's been forgotten or ignored by Barta and Ferenrz in favor of conservative control.
I agreed with going for two, and I've been intrigued by the argument of some critics who say ISU should have played for the overtime because it had the momentum. IMO, having the momentum was a powerful reason for trying the two-point confusion. The OU defense was so confused it didn't know whether to fart or wind its watch.

Another argument against overtime is ISU's kicking game, which is mediocre on a good day.

Finally, what are the odds on giving Hurts and that Oklahoma offense the ball at the 25 and preventing a score?

FWIW, on slo-mo replay you can see that the tight end was coming open, but Purdy threw an absolutely perfect pass. Couldn't have been better. There was pretty blatant PI, although Campbell was pretty adamant afterward that he didn't think it should have been called.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT