ADVERTISEMENT

If We Have to Have a Republican President Next Time, Who Would You Want In Office?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I phrased the question this way for libs and Dems, because I want you to think about who would scare you least, or be most acceptable running the nation. Not who would be easiest to beat in 2024, or any other point of view.

I know it's hard to trust any Republican, but among those who might run, which R would you trust most not to make things too much worse?

Similarly for cons and Rs, this is not about the best candidate to make Democrats' heads explode. It's about who will actually be the best for America.

Normally when I ask a question like this, I would throw out my own preferred candidates, but I'm struggling to think of any who are even remotely acceptable. I'm counting on you guys to come up with good suggestions.

If/when there are enough suggestions, I intend to add a poll to this thread. So help me out.

Obviously Trump and Pence and maybe Liz Cheney will be on the list. Nikki Haley, too, I suppose. Is she still around? Who else. McCarthy? Some governor or Senator? I'm assuming Romney won't run, although he could be the least worst of the bunch from a lib's point of view. He's 75 and has seen the toll on Biden.

Mike Pompeo

Here is why:
- Truly would be the "smartest guy in the room" ... #1 in his class at West Point ... Harvard Law Degree
- Great background ... served five years in the military, six years in Congress from Kansas, Director of the CIA, U.S. Secretary of State
- Experience in business and law
- Still young, only 58
- Is never afraid to take on China and Russia and well respected by our NATO allies
- Good communicator and can think on his feet

Mike Pompeo

Here is why:
- Truly would be the "smartest guy in the room" ... #1 in his class at West Point ... Harvard Law Degree
- Great background ... served five years in the military, six years in Congress from Kansas, Director of the CIA, U.S. Secretary of State
- Still young, only 58
- Is never afraid to take on China and Russia and well respected by our NATO allies
Hell no.

Larry Hogan.
As a Marylander, my sneaking suspicion is that the only reason Hogan looks sort of OK is because he had to tone it down to succeed in my blue state.

While he might end up being my preferred R, too, I would be very worried about the true Hogan we might see once safely in office.

Still, he could be the best choice of a dismal bunch.

Reactions: goldmom
Mike Pompeo

Here is why:
- Still young, only 58
He scares me more than DeSantis or even Trump, mainly because he's shown a very aggressive streak in the foreign policy arena. Plus a willingness to lie. Comes across to me as a sociopath fixated on gaining and using power.

Which is not to say you're wrong about his smarts or ability. Just that when the values are bad you might not want that much ability pushing them.

To be fair, I have no idea about his domestic positions. So he could have redeeming qualities.

Anyone attacked as a RINO by the current GOP. There’s your list.

I agree with the premise in principle.... L Cheney is too far right on the old scale, she is a RINO now just because she isn't new school crazy as far right. Never agreed with a number of Romney's positions, but he is also "moderate" by today's standards. But both showed signs of a spine, which is a rare quality in today's GOP.

John Kasich is the first that comes to mind for me.
And certainly not Pompeo, dude's a loon and full of shit with pants on fire.
Micheal Steele or David Jolly, both seem reasonable now that they've stepped away from active politics, but don't remember position on many issues. But at least they live in reality.

We should go on the other direction just to see what happens. I mean…it doesn’t really matter does it. I nominate Louie Gohmert!

• Haha
Reactions: mattymoknows
Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Conan-the-Barbarian.jpg

If/when there are enough suggestions, I intend to add a poll to this thread. So help me out.

Obviously Trump and Pence and maybe Liz Cheney will be on the list. Nikki Haley, too, I suppose. Is she still around? Who else. McCarthy? Some governor or Senator? I'm assuming Romney won't run, although he could be the least worst of the bunch from a lib's point of view. He's 75 and has seen the toll on Biden.
Robert Ray. Sorry he's gone. Do we even have any GOPers like him any more? There was a good GOP rep from the Davenport area--I never could have voted for him because of not living in his district --so what was his name?

John Kasich is the entire list. Every other Pubber who would even consider running for POTUS sucks.
This answer is equivalent to Tulsi Gabbard(prior) or Joe Manchin as the answer to the same question regarding democrats the Rs would like to see run.

John Kasich is no longer a conservative. He would NEVER get the Republican nod. Just as the two mentioned above would never get the Democrat nod.

No R cares what Republican the liberals on this board would like to see run. They’d still vote for the D nominee no matter who the Rs put on the ticket.

This answer is equivalent to Tulsi Gabbard(prior) or Joe Manchin as the answer to the same question regarding democrats the Rs would like to see run.

John Kasich is no longer a conservative. He would NEVER get the Republican nod. Just as the two mentioned above would never get the Democrat nod.

No R cares what Republican the liberals on this board would like to see run. They’d still vote for the D nominee no matter who the Rs put on the ticket.

He absolutely is. And all of us moderates see that. The whole MAGA, Trumper clan is confused that the GOP has slid, on average, to the extreme both in behavior, hypocrisy, <lack of> policy, moral standing and idiocy and doesn't realize the difference between a RINO and a Moderate.

John Kasich is absolutely a conservative.

Yeah, but for Dems/libs the question is which R wouldn't be too awful. Or is that a null set?

Yeah, but for Dems/libs the question is which R wouldn't be too awful. Or is that a null set?
Sure but I guess the answer I think that would be more interesting is which real conservative would be acceptable. Not which RINO would be.

I mean why not just say Joe Scarborough?? He is a former R congressman from Florida after all…..
It’s because that would be ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT