ADVERTISEMENT

If We Have to Have a Republican President Next Time, Who Would You Want In Office?

In my mind, “natural born” means that you were automatically a citizen at birth because you satisfied at least one of these conditions: 1) you were born on American soil or 2) at least one of your biological parents was an American citizen at the time of your birth.
I absolutely agree with you that that's a better way to think about it. But everything I learned and think I know about it says that wasn't how it was thought about until recent decades and thanks to actual legislation.

I do have to say that it's puzzling to me how the nonsense about Obama's birth certificate became such a big deal for the GOP, if everybody knew all you needed was 1 American parent. I mean I know some were pushing back against Trump and the others pushing the narrative that Obama didn't qualify. But nobody ever questioned his parentage, so the birth certificate should never have been an issue. Even if he had been born in Kenya, he was eligible under US law.

Reactions: TJ8869
I’d be okay with naturalized citizens running under certain conditions. Obviously the primary reason for the constitutional requirement is to prevent someone with foreign loyalty from becoming President. As long as we establish a method for ensuring that “spirit of the law,” I see no problem with letting a naturalized citizen run.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Some might wonder if Trump could satisfy that requirement.

I do have to say that it's puzzling to me how the nonsense about Obama's birth certificate became such a big deal for the GOP, if everybody knew all you needed was 1 American parent. I mean I know some were pushing back against Trump and the others pushing the narrative that Obama didn't qualify. But nobody ever questioned his parentage, so the birth certificate should never have been an issue. Even if he had been born in Kenya, he was eligible under US law.
I made that very same point numerous times during the birth certificate debates. Even if you believe Barack Obama was born in Kenya, it doesn’t matter because he is still a natural born citizen by virtue of the fact that his mother was born and raised in the United States and was a U.S. citizen at the time of his birth.

OiT pushed back by claiming that his mother technically didn’t meet the requirement for passing birthright citizenship to Barack because she wasn’t old enough at the time of his birth to satisfy the requirement for number of years lived here. IIRC, she was 17 when he was born and OiT tried to claim that she couldn’t pass birthright citizenship to him unless she had lived here 18 years first.

Or some such nonsensical bullshit.

In my mind, “natural born” means that you were automatically a citizen at birth because you satisfied at least one of these conditions: 1) you were born on American soil

A lot of the folks who argue against anchor babies, just had their hair catch on fire

A lot of the folks who argue against anchor babies, just had their hair catch on fire
My personal opinion is that babies born on U.S. soil to mothers who are here illegally should not automatically be granted U.S. citizenship. I think it should be subject to other conditions.

But the law of the land says they are, so that’s that.

My personal opinion is that babies born on U.S. soil to mothers who are here illegally should not automatically be granted U.S. citizenship. I think it should be subject to other conditions.

But the law of the land says they are, so that’s that.

Opinions are like assholes. You know the rest

Mitt or Kizinger(sp?) I really respect what Cheney did and think she has a backbone. However, she is still Dick's daughter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT