ADVERTISEMENT

If you could change the outcome of one match...

therasslinfan

HR MVP
Feb 15, 2002
Saw a twitter discussion. Thought it might be fun to start it here... switch it up a bit.

If you could change the outcome of one match (or other sporting event) in history, which one would it be?

Wow...EXCELLENT debate question.

No one here would deny the Gable/Owings match. But, let's consider that that loss lit a fire so deep inside the G-man that he tore through the Russians, then the Olympics, then the NCAA. One record I saved from somewhere states that Gable beat Owings 7-1 in an Olympics trials match in Minnesota in 1972, so he got his revenge. It's a tough fantasy choice.

I still ache watching the video of the McIlravy loss to Marianetti. That denied him (and us) of a 4x champ to match Steve Smith and Cael Sanderson. The honest truth is that Marianetti was good, and it is less painful to lose a match to a truly gifted athlete.

So, I guess that I still wince more at Dan Dennis' loss to Jason Ness in the 2010 final. He had #1 Ness beat with a couple seconds on the clock, but backed up while Ness made a desperation lunge, got taken down and gave up two backs. Ugh! If only he'd stood his ground and put up even conservative defense, he had it in the bag! What really makes me ill--and I'm an ordained minister for crying out loud--is that Ness gave thanks to Jesus for the win. Oh, the nausea I felt.

Can someone who wins the dinner with Brands PLEASE pose this hypothetical to him and politely press him for an answer. No hedging. I would really like to know what he thinks. OR make this the new meet a Hawk /Stroll with Stoll question.. have them give a match they most want to wrestle over for any reason. Then ask them as a fan what outcome of a single match THEY would change.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Can someone who wins the dinner with Brands PLEASE pose this hypothetical to him and politely press him for an answer. No hedging. I would really like to know what he thinks. OR make this the new meet a Hawk /Stroll with Stoll question.. have them give a match they most want to wrestle over for any reason. Then ask them as a fan what outcome of a single match THEY would change.
Since I fully intend to win the drawing, I'll keep that question in mind. You're welcome.

Mike Evans v Chris Perry NCs semis 2014? (outcome should have been different with a better ref)
Also the Dan Dennis debacle is another recent match.

Reactions: Grip220
Dan Dennis hurt my soul. Metcalf's was a get what you earn situation...A Mena win would have got us 6 titles in 97...likewise a Randall win in 86. Also, Zaputil in 92...would have given us 4 titles in a row to start the NCAAs off and Chad at least one.

Ya, zap is a tough one. When he was around Iowa, I was in my teens and he would come to my house and play guitar with my dad. Absolute great guy and nice as can be. He also taught me the art of a good knee tap.

Another one, 1998 - Wes Hand vs Shelton Benjamin - Minnesota heavyweight Shelton Benjamin pinned Iowa’s Wes Hand, to give the Gophers an 18-17 win in Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

Terry Brands/Kendall Cross- 1996 Olympic Trials

This one!

Was there in Spokane. Brands won one, and lost two in best of 3. Brands absolutely crushed Cross in his win, but then lost 2 very close ones. In both losses, Brands got in a hole early and both times came back, but fell just short. He was inconsolable.

His brother Tom won his OTT's. Cross won his over Terry. Both won Olympic gold. I have zero doubt that had Terry prevailed over Cross, he too would've won gold. Cross later remarked that his toughest match in the Olympics was beating Terry in the trials.

Btw, I have great admiration for Cross. He always gracious, showed good sportsmanship, and was an exciting wrestler. One of the very best out of Okla St.

Another one, 1998 - Wes Hand vs Shelton Benjamin - Minnesota heavyweight Shelton Benjamin pinned Iowa’s Wes Hand, to give the Gophers an 18-17 win in Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
I was thinking Hand v. Lesnar in 2000 finals. Felt like Hand out wrestled him. Left a bitter taste on the team title.

Reactions: bman546
I was going to say Ed Banach, but I will go with Lou's loss to Dr Death(Steve Williams).

Reactions: bman546
For wrestling, Gable-Owings just because history is so different if it goes the other way. Gilman-Cruz was tough in recent memory because it felt like he deserved a national title, but as Will Munny said "deserves got nothing to do with it".

Other sports, Vikings-Falcons 1998 NFC title game with the Gary Anderson miss.

Sam Stoll against stupidity and a bullet. WTF? I’d kick his ass off the team an anyone else involved. Idiots. Poor representation for the program. Wouldn’t think twice about it. Have your shit together or gtfo.

Spencer does so much good for the school and program and we have a dumbass who thinks pranks involves a gun and brings stupidness to the program. He never appeared to bright in his little stroll thing. Gotta go. We don’t need fat drunk wrestlers with gun pranks on campus. I’ll roll with Cass and move on.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT