ADVERTISEMENT

If you enjoy Ill Swine Eye Tears....

Somewhat off the subject, but I read about a Miami owner of a string of fitness gyms that plans on paying Miami football players $500/month to advertise his gyms on social media. Gee, that won't change any young Florida football player's minds about where to play their college ball. Who steps up next to up the ante and where does this end? And with only 13 players of the basketball roster, it will be much cheaper to do that for basketball players. And, yes, I know that $500/month will be a cut in pay for some schools.

Reactions: chuck285
Somewhat off the subject, but I read about a Miami owner of a string of fitness gyms that plans on paying Miami football players $500/month to advertise his gyms on social media. Gee, that won't change any young Florida football player's minds about where to play their college ball. Who steps up next to up the ante and where does this end?

It would seem to end when businesses don't feel they are getting their money's worth for the investment

Reactions: littlez
Somewhat off the subject, but I read about a Miami owner of a string of fitness gyms that plans on paying Miami football players $500/month to advertise his gyms on social media. Gee, that won't change any young Florida football player's minds about where to play their college ball. Who steps up next to up the ante and where does this end? And with only 13 players of the basketball roster, it will be much cheaper to do that for basketball players. And, yes, I know that $500/month will be a cut in pay for some schools.
It will be a lot worse in basketball because football players generally aren't that marketable except locally.

Nike is going to pick a few programs to market now and funnel all the talent too them, essentially making blatant pro teams in college.

Up until now they have only been paying guys under the table in hopes of signing them in the pros, now they can sign them in college and advertise them on TV.

When you combine this with essentially having free agency every year Basketball is going to be less competitive than college football in the near future.

Last edited:
Some people have more money than they know what to do with. I could see this quickly becoming a bidding war for players.
Ya think?

Of course it will.

Thats why it's never been allowed.

The ncaa just gave in because all they really care about is continuing to make their own cash.

Reactions: chuck285
I get it if you are a HS player announcing where you are going and want to set up a date to announce and celebrate with family and friends etc. But is it really necessary when announcing if you are transferring or not and where to? Seriously Kofi just let us know now that you are leaving for Kentucky. Instead he's going to mess with Illini fans causing anxiety and heartache and maybe a little hope before he crushes their souls. Second thought go ahead and wait a few days Kofi.
I get it if you are a HS player announcing where you are going and want to set up a date to announce and celebrate with family and friends etc. But is it really necessary when announcing if you are transferring or not and where to? Seriously Kofi just let us know now that you are leaving for Kentucky. Instead he's going to mess with Illini fans causing anxiety and heartache and maybe a little hope before he crushes their souls. Second thought go ahead and wait a few days Kofi.

Wait, do Illinois fans have souls? Edit: DOUBLE SCOOPED!

Ya think?

Of course it will.

The ncaa just gave in because all they really care about is continuing to make their own cash.
The NCAA gave in because it is losing its authority by the day and battling this at the federal level is a losing proposition. They are simply trying not to get forced into obsolescence. If they wanted to battle this, they should have tried to get ahead of it and get laws established before all this NIL momentum was created

Ya think?

Of course it will.

the NCAA “gave in” because the Supreme Court said limiting players NIL rights was illegal.

It will be a lot worse in basketball because football players generally aren't that marketable except locally.

Nike is going to pick a few programs to market now and funnel all the talent too them, essentially making blatant pro teams in college.

Up until now they have only been paying guys under the table in hopes of signing them in the pros, now they can sign them in college and advertise them on TV.

When you combine this with essentially having free agency every year Basketball is going to be less competitive than college football in the near future.
Yours is as sound as any prediction I’ve heard but I don’t think anyone can predict exactly how this will shake out. There may yet be some dramatic unintended consequences.

I’m with you though. I really don’t see how this new environment won’t generally just make the rich richer.

Time will tell but in the B1G I see about five or six programs occupying the top of the league in perpetuity, and Iowa isn’t one of them.

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Illinois
4. Maryland
5. Indiana
6. Michigan State
7. and maybe Purdue and Wisconsin every decade or so.

We’ll see...

Last edited:
Yours is as sound as any prediction I’ve heard but I don’t think anyone can predict exactly how this will shake out. There may yet be some dramatic unintended consequences.

I’m with you though. I really don’t see how this new environment won’t generally just make the rich richer.

Time will tell but in the B1G I see about five or six programs occupying the top of the league in perpetuity, and Iowa isn’t one of them.

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Illinois
4. Maryland
5. Indiana
6. Michigan State
7. and maybe Purdue and Wisconsin every decade or so.

We’ll see...
I don't feel comfortable agreeing or disagreeing with your list, but if you have the time and can go into a little detail about your justification for it I'd be interested for you to explain it.

Reactions: BBHawk
Iowa has some fans with deep pockets as well. You have to wonder what the ceiling will be for paying players. And while we might not be a blue blood, we have been a pretty solid NIKE supporter and should expect at least some scraps thrown to us.

I don't feel comfortable agreeing or disagreeing with your list, but if you have the time and can go into a little detail about your justification for it I'd be interested for you to explain it.
It’s an admittedly gross calculation based on the following:

1. Number of Alumni, and non-alumni fans.
2. Number of TVs in fan base area.
3. Social and other media presence.
4. Trend potential/reputation

Bigger numbers are better. Metro area schools and school located in large population states (large media markets) will have an obvious advantage.

In the long term, I think programs like Duke and Gonzaga are going to be at a significant disadvantage.

Is there even a place for sanctimony like this in the age of NIL? I mean… what moral wrong are you attempting to condemn with your statement?

It makes no sense to me.
That's just your opinion and it doesn't mean sh-- to me...Now go back to the ISU board.

That's just your opinion and it doesn't mean sh-- to me...Now go back to the ISU board.
Not really my opinion so much as questions posed to you that you apparently cannot answer.

Probably should have just ignored them instead of embarrassing yourself but you do you, playa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT