ADVERTISEMENT

If you ever wanted to see what the “soft bigotry of low expectations” looked like…

Seems like a lot of people are reading into this story whatever they wish to believe about black students. As I read through the OP, my impression was that everybody was going to get graded/evaluated based on their test performance almost exclusively. The grading system is going to leave out some elements that disproportionately impact black student.

Yes, we can argue the merits of this approach (and I’m not sure myself, whether this is ultimately in the kid’s best interest) but it does seem clear enough that white, brown, yellow and purple kids will all be graded on the same set of criteria; it’s just that some elements will be ignored for everyone.

Not sure what has some of you folks all up in arms about this.
That's exactly what the op says. Black kids are failing at a much higher rate and some of the reasons are truancy and bad behavior. So, they are getting rid of those elements in grading for all students in order to help the students that do those things the most.

When will OP learn to dig more critically into these stories before posting? The irony of this thread title too, knowing why he was so eager to believe it.
Even better, fellow cretins will continue to chime in as if the story is 100% truth.

Even better, fellow cretins will continue to chime in as if the story is 100% truth.
There were misleading statements in the article but the story is true. The only difference is that it was a committee suggestion and had not been implemented. Of course, now it will never be implemented because of it getting out.

• Haha
Reactions: noleclone2
There were misleading statements in the article but the story is true. The only difference is that it was a committee suggestion and had not been implemented. Of course, now it will never be implemented because of it getting out.
No, it wasn't even that. There was no racial motivation to the changes, as was alluded to in the original article. Miss that somehow, chief?

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
True story. Just had a kid move up from Mississippi a month or 2 ago. Mom (or guardian?) is here in KC. He’s 15 years old and is a 6th grader. They tried to enroll him in elementary and of course did not work here. He has a sister here that never goes to school at the high school where my wife works. So next year he will be a 17 year old freshman. Someone tell me how this even happens.

My bad. 16 year old Freshman who will jump from 6th grade in Mississippi to high school. Not 17.

No, it wasn't even that. There was no racial motivation to the changes, as was alluded to in the original article. Miss that somehow, chief?
There most certainly was. The rules would be changed for everyone in order to help the ones who were failing. Which were overwhelmingly black. Have trouble reading sometimes?

Reactions: ICHerky
If anyone wants to talk about actual grading practices, there is an interesting conversation about the weight of formative assessment vs summative assessment and the weight given to each.

But I am sure it is more fun being outraged.

Reactions: noleclone2
So for the teachers out there, explain to me. I had 3 kids go to public school, last one just graduated high school last year. Is it really any different than “back in the day?” The smart kids are still the smart kids, my son had 2 kids get perfect ACT scores, and the bottom 5-7% are still the same kids as back in our day. Clearly some of the bottom even 10% don’t want to be there and should not be there but what do you do with them? They don’t go to school, cause most of the problems but now you just can’t do anything about it. So what is the answer?

You delete your posts- the breakdown you had yesterday is gone sweetheart
This is hilarious. Your rush to judgment is fantastic. It’s all just so funny to watch you do every behavior that you complain about others doing.

This is hilarious. Your rush to judgment is fantastic. It’s all just so funny to watch you do every behavior that you complain about others doing.
Link or it didn’t happen sweetheart

…this is it. Holy hell. Saw this shared about what an Illinois school district plans on doing. Disclaimer: No. I’m not “outraged”. Just thought this was kinda…well…stupid. Apparently we need to just accept that black kids will act bad, miss class and not do their work. So, you can’t include that stuff into their grade.

“Well, Mrs. Davis…little Joey hardly ever showed up to class, never did any work and assaulted a classmate the other day. Luckily none of that matters because we have extremely low expectations of your entire family. Here’s his A+.”

In an effort to equalize test scores among racial groups, OPRF will order its teachers to exclude from their grading assessments variables it says disproportionally hurt the grades of black students. They can no longer be docked for missing class, misbehaving in school or failing to turn in their assignments, according to the plan.
This should bother every person in the country

So the white kids are learning that they can now skip class, not turn in assignments, and there are no consequences??
That's not what it said either. It was a proposal that the consequences they did receive couldn't be imposed on their final grades, if they passed their assessments on the standards.

I suspect yes. That’s a conversation for another day though. You seem to know he was banned, must have some insight
Because I looked at the thread, and his posts are gone. Either he’s banned, or mods scrubbed the thread of his posts. My posts not connected to his remain in the thread. Can’t believe how much effort I expend to explain shit to you. Really is funny that you noticed posts of mine gone but not his, despite that you gave nearly every post of his a thumbs up.

Because I looked at the thread, and his posts are gone. Either he’s banned, or mods scrubbed the thread of his posts. My posts not connected to his remain in the thread. Can’t believe how much effort I expend to explain shit to you. Really is funny that you noticed posts of mine gone but not his, despite that you gave nearly every post of his a thumbs up.
Hmm idk. I like you more than him Rudy. Believe it or not. There’s hope for you. That guy was a goner fa sho.

That's not what it said either. It was a proposal that the consequences they did receive couldn't be imposed on their final grades, if they passed their assessments on the standards.
Article is misleading. 100%. I apologize for that. Sullivan is usually reliable with his vetting. Won’t do that again.

However, you have a few public school teachers in this thread (that lean left) saying that this is actually going on. It’s been going on for years. I should have posted about the topic without the article. You would have had to be a little more creative with your avoidance of reality.

Now go tell Bio and others that they're lying about their shared experience that parrots the article in the OP.

Can’t believe how much effort I expend to explain shit to you. Really is funny that you noticed posts of mine gone but not his, despite that you gave nearly every post of his a thumbs up.
He's one of these, you know. He's not interested in your explanation...or facts...or truth...he just wants to keep you engaging with him.

Original-Thomas-DAM-Troll-Denmark-1963-pic-1A-720%3A10.10-76589a66-8bc5d6.png

Last edited:
So for the teachers out there, explain to me. I had 3 kids go to public school, last one just graduated high school last year. Is it really any different than “back in the day?” The smart kids are still the smart kids, my son had 2 kids get perfect ACT scores, and the bottom 5-7% are still the same kids as back in our day. Clearly some of the bottom even 10% don’t want to be there and should not be there but what do you do with them? They don’t go to school, cause most of the problems but now you just can’t do anything about it. So what is the answer?
Start with removing the idea of educational equity. Too many people scream “equal access to great education” but don’t mean that. What they want is for the kids that can’t make it through basic remedial subjects to be pushed through socially without learning the skills. Then get free college somehow.

The kids with 100% attendance should never share a class with those who come 20% of the time. You HAD equal access and you chose to piss it away. You don’t get the good stuff on the days you decide you want to come. You get the GED plan. Night school. One teacher/ one classroom/ multiple basic subjects. Certificate of completion. No diploma. Lunch brought to the room. You never see anyone else but the teacher. That’s how it should be.

Educators can’t make a difference in a persons life if they’d rather be somewhere else and usually are.

As a teacher in Illinois....um, yeah, I hate this crap. It is crippling kids. Fortunately, my district isn't this extreme but some of the state laws that have been passed have not been helpful.

The issue is there are definite differences in racial equity when it comes to success in schools. Because the issues that are causing this can't really be addressed easily, laws like this are created to make it seem like progress is being made to equitable treatment in schools without actually having to accomplish anything. This is one of the things that I think is crippling kids.

Curious as to which laws specifically.

Article is misleading. 100%. I apologize for that. Sullivan is usually reliable with his vetting. Won’t do that again.
I can respect this. Many posters aren't man enough to admit fault. You're right that Sullivan USUALLY is reliable, but this is the second racial issue he's spouted off about and was later proven wrong. And that's just that I'm aware of.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
HAHAHA. A committee suggestion that was not approved to be implemented nor implemented is a big freaking difference to how portrayed, in addition to the hysterics about what was actually being discussed.

That's like saying the only difference of my story about the guy kicking a game winning 66 yard field goal was that it was actually during a practice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT