ADVERTISEMENT

If you ever wanted to see what the “soft bigotry of low expectations” looked like…

So the white kids are learning that they can now skip class, not turn in assignments, and there are no consequences??
Lol. Yep, NOW white kids have FINALLY learned that they can get away with shit.

JFC that you had this thought and put it in the public sphere… you, sir, just might be a white supremacist.

Start with removing the idea of educational equity. Too many people scream “equal access to great education” but don’t mean that. What they want is for the kids that can’t make it through basic remedial subjects to be pushed through socially without learning the skills. Then get free college somehow.

The kids with 100% attendance should never share a class with those who come 20% of the time. You HAD equal access and you chose to piss it away. You don’t get the good stuff on the days you decide you want to come. You get the GED plan. Night school. One teacher/ one classroom/ multiple basic subjects. Certificate of completion. No diploma. Lunch brought to the room. You never see anyone else but the teacher. That’s how it should be.

Educators can’t make a difference in a persons life if they’d rather be somewhere else and usually are.
Stop it w/the free college bullshit. That's not happening and you know it.

Lol. Yep, NOW white kids have FINALLY learned that they can get away with shit.

JFC that you had this thought and put it in the public sphere… you, sir, just might be a white supremacist.
No,I'm an equality for all, not equity!

News source is immediately suspect. They do link a slide that talks about equity a bit, I guess, although it's rather nonspecific. (cited below)

What exactly do they mean by equitable assessment and grading practices? Who knows. Could be reasonable, could be trash.

Generally, yeah, when I see equity talk I tend to wonder exactly what they mean, because with equity... devil is in details.

There is the variant that just cares about the bottom line, and ultimately, that doesn't work too well -- you're just putting lipstick on the proverbial pig.

The other variant, which I would favor, would be more human development focused. In this case... the building up of students capabilities through certain resources being allocated to enhance their development.

We know schools have had issues with grade-inflation... so not too far fetched that they'd pull the same crap under some equity framework.

That said, I'd have to know the details associated with the effort to be able to judge.

Traditional grading practices perpetuate inequities and intensify the opportunity gap ● Integrating equitable assessment and grading practices into all academic and elective courses requires the collaborative effort of a team of educators committed to improvements that benefit all students ● Many OPRFHS teachers are successfully exploring and implementing more equitable grading practices such as: utilizing aspects of competency-based grading, eliminating zeros from the grade book, and encouraging and rewarding growth over time ● Teachers and administrators at OPRFHS will continue the process necessary to make grading improvements that reflect our core beliefs

…this is it. Holy hell. Saw this shared about what an Illinois school district plans on doing. Disclaimer: No. I’m not “outraged”. Just thought this was kinda…well…stupid. Apparently we need to just accept that black kids will act bad, miss class and not do their work. So, you can’t include that stuff into their grade.

“Well, Mrs. Davis…little Joey hardly ever showed up to class, never did any work and assaulted a classmate the other day. Luckily none of that matters because we have extremely low expectations of your entire family. Here’s his A+.”

In an effort to equalize test scores among racial groups, OPRF will order its teachers to exclude from their grading assessments variables it says disproportionally hurt the grades of black students. They can no longer be docked for missing class, misbehaving in school or failing to turn in their assignments, according to the plan.
Dumb dumb dumb

Curious as to which laws specifically.

I can respect this. Many posters aren't man enough to admit fault. You're right that Sullivan USUALLY is reliable, but this is the second racial issue he's spouted off about and was later proven wrong. And that's just that I'm aware of.
I think it was SB 100, but I could be wrong on that. Anyway, it made the longest suspension you could give to a student was 3 days and basically made truancy a non-factor. We were told directly from the head of the ISBE (Illinois State Board of Education) to "stop giving truancy tickets". The reasoning is these punishments were not given equitably and the data backs this up to a certain extent. The feeling is that keeping a kid out of school for 2 weeks just causes that student to fail more. They are right, but generally speaking the 2 week suspension was only given when the student was a danger to other students or school staff and would be on the road to expulsion so my argument is having this student in school actually makes other students do worse, but whatever. To be fair, there are probably things in that bill I like too, it was a big bill with a lot of stuff in it.

Then, in the complete opposite direction they gave students 5 "mental health" days so kids can just miss days whenever they want and call it a mental health day. God forbid students learn how to function with a bit of pressure or stress placed on them, because that never happens in the real world.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
ADVERTISEMENT