ADVERTISEMENT

If you had to make a change to the Iowa Football Helmet..

Hawkeyeinsoutherncalifornia

HR All-American
Mar 9, 2017
Van Nuys, California
s-l300.jpg.cf.jpg
Now if this was a scenario where you had to pick a different scheme of the helmet (for me I love the current and always will love it regardless) but if I was forced to make a change I would go with the yellow Hawkeye helmet with the black tiger hawk logo..not necessarily the dark yellow possibly a brighter yellow would actually look kinda cool.. maybe cool with a alternative jersey as well.. but I definitely like the yellowish color with the black tiger hawk logo which SHOULD NEVER BE CHANGED OFF THE HELMET.. the tiger hawk is IOWA

s-l300.jpg.cf.jpg
Now if this was a scenario where you had to pick a different scheme of the helmet (for me I love the current and always will love it regardless) but if I was forced to make a change I would go with the yellow Hawkeye helmet with the black tiger hawk logo..not necessarily the dark yellow possibly a brighter yellow would actually look kinda cool.. maybe cool with a alternative jersey as well.. but I definitely like the yellowish color with the black tiger hawk logo which SHOULD NEVER BE CHANGED OFF THE HELMET.. the tiger hawk is IOWA

Although last year’s Uniform against OSU was awesome I have thought a yellow helmet (With tiger hawk) yellow jersey and black pants would look sharp.

I believe Iowa used to have a yellow helmet.

Long time advocate of uniform change. Solid old gold helmet with only a black tiger hawk and the small jersey numbers on the back/bottom. Get rid of the ANF BS (there is no farm crises and we aren't an ag school).

All black home unis and all old gold for road unis.

Reactions: scarletred
Overall look should stay the same: Black helmet, gold Tiger Hawk.

Changes that could/should be considered:

1. Remove or move the ANF logo. It only adds clutter to one of the best helmets in college football.

2. Downsize the giant white numbers on the back.

3. Consider removing the gold stripe that runs over the top.

4. If we ever get into the alt-uniform game, I would like to see a gold helmet with an old-school black Herky on the side.

5. By all means, please keep the helmets symmetrical. I hate it when schools have one thing one one side, and something else on the other.

s-l300.jpg.cf.jpg

Yellow? Why? Yellow isn't a Hawkeye color.

You're helmets are iconic, you just need to get rid of the Steeler jerseys and especially the pants and become more original.

The pants the Hawks wore during the Tim Dwight era would be cool.

Long time advocate of uniform change. Solid old gold helmet with only a black tiger hawk and the small jersey numbers on the back/bottom. Get rid of the ANF BS (there is no farm crises and we aren't an ag school).

All black home unis and all old gold for road unis.

Old gold is the color Purdue and what Missouri use to wear. Minnesota in the 70's had old gold helmets but went to a dark yellow much like Iowa has.
Nile Kinnick wore old gold helmets.
Is Iowa black and gold or black and old gold ? It has for years been a dark yellow.

Reactions: Jonnymungo
s-l300.jpg.cf.jpg
Ahhhh, no.

Although last year’s Uniform against OSU was awesome I have thought a yellow helmet (With tiger hawk) yellow jersey and black pants would look sharp.

I believe Iowa used to have a yellow helmet.
Loved the blackout unis.

Loved the ANF inside the outline of the state that was on the back of the helmet.
Agree with making the numbers smaller as well.
Small changes only. The helmet is classic and should never be messed with.

Old gold is the color Purdue and what Missouri use to wear. Minnesota in the 70's had old gold helmets but went to a dark yellow much like Iowa has.
Nile Kinnick wore old gold helmets.
Is Iowa black and gold or black and old gold ? It has for years been a dark yellow.
Formally black and old gold; the current gold(orangey-yellow) is "bright gold" which was adopted by Forest Evashevski in the mid1950's and in use ever since, except for one throwback game. I've never heard why, but suspect it was to distinguish ourselves from our hated rivals, Purdue.

I would be all for a yellow helmet as a once a year variation but overall think ours are perfect.

They did make the white numbers smaller last year which was a step in the right direction.

Now, I dont mind the ANF sticker but I did like a few years ago when they put it inside the state outline on the back of the helmet. Might be a good long term compromise. Let me see if I can find the pic.
1391738423_d08e19984e_o.jpg

Formally black and old gold; the current gold(orangey-yellow) is "bright gold" which was adopted by Forest Evashevski in the mid1950's and in use ever since, except for one throwback game. I've never heard why, but suspect it was to distinguish ourselves from our hated rivals, Purdue.

Thanks for the explanation,you’re the first that has ever had a explanation...Always thought Iowa was black and gold, not like Purdue or Missouri back in the 50’s 60’s and 70’s and early 80’s when Mizzou started going to a more darker yellow.

Curious ,were you old enough to see any games in the Evashevski era?

No, but I was old enough during the 70's to listen to the old-timers talking about the Evashevski-era football in the 50's :)

Reactions: scarletred
THIS. Iowa has awesome jerseys in all seriousness. I love the road Nebraska jerseys when we wear red pants instead of the surrender whites. Would anyone oppose to wearing home uni’s for both teams when NE vs IA play?

Red pants are a must on the road a tradition that started with Bob Devaney, when and IF (hopefully never again)they wear white pants on the road I prefer they wear a red/scarlet helmet...And no too both wearing home uni's when Nebraska/ Iowa play.

Ditch the yellow helmet stripe. Only change I would make for Iowa.

For Nebraska,
Red helmets with no "N",
Red shirts with numbers starting at 1 but only going up to 5,
Red pants with a vertical brown stripe up the back and sparkly red shoes they have to click together before each play....like Dorothy.

Hey, your opinion that’s coooool.. just saying if “If you had to” make the change and the black helmet wasn’t an option.. should of made myself clearer.. me bads..

QUOTE="Hawk_4shur, post: 5257260, member: 10204"]Yellow helmets? Pass ........:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I agree with Iowas helmets being one of the best. Also agree with a smaller gold number on back of helmet. However I would like to see a chrome Iowa helmet just to see what it looks like.

Black shoes and black socks at home. White shoes at home with all that black looks lame. Keep white shoes for road. And move the ANF back to the small state logo in back as pictured above, make helmet numbers small. Otherwise no changes needed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT