ADVERTISEMENT

If you had / where able to replace one coach on the wrestling staff ...

No offense to Mrs. Bull, as I'm sure she does an absolute great job. However that position needs to be replaced by a recruiting coordinator. Makes absolutely no sense to me not to. Strictly clerical vs. a position to advance one of the most important aspects of your success.

geico-caveman-not-cool.gif

No offense to Mrs. Bull, as I'm sure she does an absolute great job. However that position needs to be replaced by a recruiting coordinator. Makes absolutely no sense to me not to. Strictly clerical vs. a position to advance one of the most important aspects of your success.

She has a full time job, so who handles her current duties in this scenario?

From my understanding at OSU & tOSU they combine that position with the recruiting coordinator position. With that they handle both. If guess some of the duties fall back on the coaches. That might be the hesitation along with loyalty. I just see a recruiting coordinator position much more valuable. I know tOSU supposedly has NIL $, but I bet they credit this class a lot to the recruiting coordinator as well. I think M* does a great job, but in my mind getting him more help can only help. Football is a whole other animal, but Look at all the unpaid and lowly paid coaches there that do it just to get a chance. My guess is Iowa would have a pile of candidates wanting that opportunity.

From my understanding at OSU & tOSU they combine that position with the recruiting coordinator position. With that they handle both. If guess some of the duties fall back on the coaches. That might be the hesitation along with loyalty. I just see a recruiting coordinator position much more valuable. I know tOSU supposedly has NIL $, but I bet they credit this class a lot to the recruiting coordinator as well. I think M* does a great job, but in my mind getting him more help can only help. Football is a whole other animal, but Look at all the unpaid and lowly paid coaches there that do it just to get a chance. My guess is Iowa would have a pile of candidates wanting that opportunity.

According to their respective websites, OK State's recruiting coordinator is Tyler Caldwell who's also one of the allotted assistant coaches. Ohio State has an individual with the title of "Director of Recruiting and Operations" which does combine recruiting with Moriah's title but the caveat is they also have an Assistant Director of Operations--they effectively have 2 people doing the job you proposed 1 person do and/or place more responsibilities on the coaching staff. I think that's a better solution than replacing Moriah with a recruiting coordinator, and checks the boxes you mention above as far as additional support.

Spooner, I've talked to a HWC board member and Willie on this. It's been a bit, so all of the details and reasons might have escaped me. At that point I believe Iowa was on a hiring lock down, so maybe that's where I got that they couldn't have both a recruiting coordinator and Moriah's position. As for the rest with Willie it was in a thread on here. Willie was interested in the position at the time. Don't know if he still would be, or if Iowa would be interested in the position, or him. All above my insight. I just think it is a position you add, or choose over an administrative position. From your point I would agree to take both. I'd think the budget would allow it, but I also know they are spending $25 mil on a facility and trying to raise $15 mil for an HWC endowment along with Tom's raise. Maybe raise season tickets prices above $85 a piece. 😉

Spooner, I've talked to a HWC board member and Willie on this. It's been a bit, so all of the details and reasons might have escaped me. At that point I believe Iowa was on a hiring lock down, so maybe that's where I got that they couldn't have both a recruiting coordinator and Moriah's position. As for the rest with Willie it was in a thread on here. Willie was interested in the position at the time. Don't know if he still would be, or if Iowa would be interested in the position, or him. All above my insight. I just think it is a position you add, or choose over an administrative position. From your point I would agree to take both. I'd think the budget would allow it, but I also know they are spending $25 mil on a facility and trying to raise $15 mil for an HWC endowment along with Tom's raise. Maybe raise season tickets prices above $85 a piece. 😉
Wainamina…. So, I wasn’t joking about Willie wanting to get hired to recruit?

Didn't Willie change his mind on pursuing that type of position, once he found out how limited it actually was? If I remember correctly, the "Director of Recruiting" CANNOT actually have direct contact with recruits. Which, to me, pretty much negates the overall point.

Obviously, you can research and rank prospective recruits, by going to events, studying film, etc. to give the coaches that CAN directily recruit, as much data as possible. But, again to me, without that direct contact with the prospective student athlete, I don't know how you can truly be accurate. You wouldn't even be doing what Willie does with his rankings or what FLO does with their's. Even they get to do interviews and have off the cuff conversations with these kids.

Now, I may not be correct here and, if so, I apologize. But, I do remember a conversation along this line regarding a position that would be very similar if it wasn't this exact one...

i’m not sure if I made it clear but I think at the end of the day we are basically aligned. With the amount of revenue Iowa brings in compared to other schools, there’s no reason not to have both should it be identified that a recruiting coordinator is needed.

Didn't Willie change his mind on pursuing that type of position, once he found out how limited it actually was? If I remember correctly, the "Director of Recruiting" CANNOT actually have direct contact with recruits. Which, to me, pretty much negates the overall point.

Obviously, you can research and rank prospective recruits, by going to events, studying film, etc. to give the coaches that CAN directily recruit, as much data as possible. But, again to me, without that direct contact with the prospective student athlete, I don't know how you can truly be accurate. You wouldn't even be doing what Willie does with his rankings or what FLO does with their's. Even they get to do interviews and have off the cuff conversations with these kids.

Now, I may not be correct here and, if so, I apologize. But, I do remember a conversation along this line regarding a position that would be very similar if it wasn't this exact one...

Unless they are one of the allowed assistant coaches, their contact with recruits is pretty limited. It’s an admin job. Also, I am not your garden-variety Willy hater, but I can’t imagine what a disaster it would be to have him in this position. Lol. He’s doing what he should be doing.

Reactions: herkcy
Wrestling has to be one of the easiest sports to recruit for, considering most of the elite high school kids do all the evaluation for you. Why does there need to be a stand alone full time recruiting coordinator?

Reactions: Bullethawk31
Moriah's position has very little to do with loyalty and more to do with her actually being good at her job. Do you really think Tom and Terry would keep someone on staff simply because they liked them? She fits the program's needs and that's why she's there.

They obviously think she's vital to the staff and what goes on behind the scenes. Often times these roles have responsibilities that are far deeper and bigger than the public eye can see - I'm positive her role falls directly into this category.

Look her family. Look at who she's married to. Look at her past. She's been involved with wrestling longer than the recruits you're currently talking about. She's incredibly knowledgeable. I think you're hung up on the fact that she's female in a male dominated sport, so therefore we should get someone else that's better suited for the role.

F*cking awful idea.

Moriah's position has very little to do with loyalty and more to do with her actually being good at her job. Do you really think Tom and Terry would keep someone on staff simply because they liked them? She fits the program's needs and that's why she's there.

They obviously think she's vital to the staff and what goes on behind the scenes. Often times these roles have responsibilities that are far deeper and bigger than the public eye can see - I'm positive her role falls directly into this category.

Look her family. Look at who she's married to. Look at her past. She's been involved with wrestling longer than the recruits you're currently talking about. She's incredibly knowledgeable. I think you're hung up on the fact that she's female in a male dominated sport, so therefore we should get someone else that's better suited for the role.

F*cking awful idea.
Blind trust. Again, no offense to the job she does. Couldn't disagree more with you saying Iowa couldn't benefit from having someone in this position. Others that do and the success they've had is argument enough. If Iowa can find the funds to afford both, great. If not recruiting over administration everyday of the week. All I'll say there.

Last edited:

I believe they cannot have direct off campus contact in person. I believe they can have on campus contact and any type of non in person contact. Again, it's been quite a while since I interacted with Willie on here in regards to it, or anyone else affiliated with Iowa.

Wrestling has to be one of the easiest sports to recruit for, considering most of the elite high school kids do all the evaluation for you. Why does there need to be a stand alone full time recruiting coordinator?
Others have shown success with someone in the position. Why not take advantage of all positions allowed. Recruiting > administration is a mindless equation. Truly no offense.

Blind trust. Again, no offense to the job she does. Couldn't disagree more with you saying Iowa couldn't benefit from having someone in this position. Others that do and the success they've had is argument enough. If Iowa can find the funds to afford both, great. If not recruiting over administration everyday of the week. All I'll say there.
Have you considered that Tom and Terry doesn't want someone strictly in that position? We're a year removed from an NCAA title and you're wanting to make coaching changes. We have some serious talent coming in, All-American transfers knocking on our door, and new facility about to break ground which very well could be the biggest recruiting factor of all.

Chalking this up to Blind Trust is moronic at best. Shows very little faith in a staff that delivered on a promise and handed us a championship.

"Recruiting over administration every day of the week"
What?????

And you clearly don't even know the rules of the position. You do not know what they can and cannot do, but you're pushing for it.

The cart is dragging the horse.

Others have shown success with someone in the position. Why not take advantage of all positions allowed. Recruiting > administration is a mindless equation. Truly no offense.
I don't think any perceived lack of recruiting success is due to not having a recruiting coordinator. Until you get a philosophy change of quality over quantity/depth, and get rid of the reluctance to play the recruiting game, Iowa will get who they get and PSU/OSU will get who they get.

Have you considered that Tom and Terry doesn't want someone strictly in that position? We're a year removed from an NCAA title and you're wanting to make coaching changes. We have some serious talent coming in, All-American transfers knocking on our door, and new facility about to break ground which very well could be the biggest recruiting factor of all.

Chalking this up to Blind Trust is moronic at best. Shows very little faith in a staff that delivered on a promise and handed us a championship.

"Recruiting over administration every day of the week"
What?????

And you clearly don't even know the rules of the position. You do not know what they can and cannot do, but you're pushing for it.

The cart is dragging the horse.
I've spoken to people that have talked to Tom on this position (HWC board member). At the time they were considering it and it was on their radar. I've to spoken a foremost "expert" on recruiting who was interested in the position (Willie). Not advocating for him, or against him. Just stating facts.

I know much more than you on the situation. That is obvious. You are just trying to make it a pissing match.

I've spoken to people that have talked to Tom on this position (HWC board member). At the time they were considering it and it was on their radar. I've to spoken a foremost "expert" on recruiting who was interested in the position (Willie). Not advocating for him, or against him. Just stating facts.

I know much more than you on the situation. That is obvious. You are just trying to make it a pissing match.

“I know more than you do,” seems to be a recurring theme these days, eh?

“I know more than you do,” seems to be a recurring theme these days, eh?
No, not really. In the instance that I'm guessing you are referring to I was just pointing out that finding the information out yourself was at that person's own fingertips rather easily.

Do you all like to try to revert to pissing matches? Total waste of time, energy and effort if you ask me.

"I've to spoken a foremost "expert" on recruiting who was interested in the position (Willie)"

(You mean interested in a hypothetical position that never existed)

You act like he called you up, shared a few drinks, and discussed this topic while closing out the local pub.
Dude, you gabbed with a shit bird in the cesspool, that's nothing to brag about or take home to mama.
I once shook hands with Michael Keaton. I don't go around telling people I'm now Batman's sidekick.

Also, if you're going to throw around your alleged weight and claim that you know more than anyone else on this topic, then f*cking prove it. Pretty interesting you're the only one on here with this theory.

You're no better than Vhsalum. Same shit, different day.

Anybody connected to the program would throw hands if you tried saying Moriah needs replaced. A couple years ago I would've been on your side saying at the very least it would be nice if that position was filled by a stud wrestler to roll around with the team, but after Moriah got into her position she proved her value a thousand times over.

Her value cannot be understated, she takes care of every administrative detail so that the coaches can focus on wrestling and making their guys better, recruiting, etc. Like I said, anybody connected to the program could tell you about the immense difference having Moriah on staff has made for the team's day to day operations.

F*cking awful idea.
I have first hand experience with this since I've been involved with the team for 10 years. The amount of behind the scenes responsibility Moriah has is insane. I can tell you that the difference Moriah has made since joining the program is immeasurable. It's ran like a professional organization now. She dots every I and crosses every T.
Administratively speaking, the upgrade to Moriah was like upgrading from a 7 eleven 125lb to Spencer Lee. She is that much better and has made things that much better. I can tell you the athletes feel the same way. Anyone acting like she would be easily replaced has no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

"I've to spoken a foremost "expert" on recruiting who was interested in the position (Willie)"

(You mean interested in a hypothetical position that never existed)

You act like he called you up, shared a few drinks, and discussed this topic while closing out the local pub.
Dude, you gabbed with a shit bird in the cesspool, that's nothing to brag about or take home to mama.
I once shook hands with Michael Keaton. I don't go around telling people I'm now Batman's sidekick.

Also, if you're going to throw around your alleged weight and claim that you know more than anyone else on this topic, then f*cking prove it. Pretty interesting you're the only one on here with this theory.

You're no better than Vhsalum. Same shit, different day.
Numbnuts, you asked a question/made an assumption and I responded. I never threw my weight around. Although I wish I didn't have as much of it as I do.

Simply stated. I believe it would be advantageous for Iowa to have a recruiting coordinator. Others have had success with it. M* is great at his job. However I believe more can be better. If Iowa has the budget to keep Moriah and add one, that would be great. If not I believe Iowa would be better served choosing the recruiting coordinator over the administrative position. Not knocking it, nor Moriah. Overwhelming response is she does a great job. Not arguing that point.

I've talked to people regarding this. Not bragging. Just answering to questions/assumptions.

Now I recall why people call this forum the cesspool. It is truly a joke. Most are more interested in picking pissing matches than having level headed conversations. I hope to be done, but I'm guessing I'll be drawn back in like usual and a lot of others.

Last edited:
Numbnuts, you asked a question/made an assumption and I responded. I never threw my weight around. Although I wish I didn't have as much of it as I do.

Simply stated. I believe it would be advantageous for Iowa to have a recruiting coordinator. Others have had success with it. M* is great at his job. However I believe more can be better. If Iowa has the budget to keep Moriah and add one, that would be great. If not I believe Iowa would be better served choosing the recruiting coordinator over the administrative position. Not knocking it, nor Moriah.

I've talking to people regarding this. Not bragging. Just answering to questions/assumptions.

Now I recall why people call this forum the cesspool. It is truly a joke. Most are more interested in picking pissing matches than having level headed conversations. I hope to be done, but I'm guessing I'll be drawn back in like usual and a lot of others.
Lol You waaaaltz on in, pee in the pool and then complain about the reception? Your shit makes no sense. You’re even arguing with posters attempting to agree with you.

ED, what value/thoughts/reasoning/input have you brought other than the childish knocks? Moving on, again.......

ED, what value/thoughts/reasoning/input have you brought other than the childish knocks? Moving on, again.......
I come looking for answers and you are heckling those attempting to get or provide info for some strange reason. Sorry to slow your troll roll.

I like herkcy. Seems like a good guy and I usually appreciate people who have a different viewpoint or perspective. But he often ends up over his skis and this is a classic case.

Keep on, keeping on, my friend.
Spoons, please explain, as I rarely even post here anymore.

If no explanation it seems you just want to fall in with the popular vote. That's fine. I get it. Will probably save us both some time on something that really doesn't matter anyway......

Last edited:
I come looking for answers and you are heckling those attempting to get or provide info for some strange reason. Sorry to slow your troll roll.
ED, only one trying to get information. None that have provided any including you. Sorry, I said I was moving on and I was drawn back. My bad.

If no explanation it seems you just want to fall in with the popular vote. That's fine. I get it. Will probably safe us both some time on something that really doesn't matter anyway......
And now you call SPOONER a pushover for agreeing with the popular vote lol
giphy.gif

If no explanation it seems you just want to fall in with the popular vote. That's fine. I get it. Will probably safe us both some time on something that really doesn't matter anyway......
Do you really lack self awareness to this degree? I’d rather give you the benefit of the doubt and think you’re just slow trolling, but…

ADVERTISEMENT