ADVERTISEMENT

If you had / where able to replace one coach on the wrestling staff ...

Spoons, please explain, as I rarely even post here anymore.

If no explanation it seems you just want to fall in with the popular vote. That's fine. I get it. Will probably safe us both some time on something that really doesn't matter anyway......
Heck, you don’t even seem to know your cutlery…

Last edited:
Reactions: PD4thespawn
Spooner, I've talked to a HWC board member and Willie on this. It's been a bit, so all of the details and reasons might have escaped me. At that point I believe Iowa was on a hiring lock down, so maybe that's where I got that they couldn't have both a recruiting coordinator and Moriah's position. As for the rest with Willie it was in a thread on here. Willie was interested in the position at the time. Don't know if he still would be, or if Iowa would be interested in the position, or him. All above my insight. I just think it is a position you add, or choose over an administrative position. From your point I would agree to take both. I'd think the budget would allow it, but I also know they are spending $25 mil on a facility and trying to raise $15 mil for an HWC endowment along with Tom's raise. Maybe raise season tickets prices above $85 a piece. 😉
I'd be interested in that role and Tom knows it. I reiterated to him in Vegas last month.

never say never ;)

(btw i'm not advocating for Moriah moving on. i love her and she does a wonderful job.)

I'd be interested in that role and Tom knows it. I reiterated to him in Vegas last month.

never say never ;)

(btw i'm not advocating for Moriah moving on. i love her and she does a wonderful job.)
Be interested what you would or would be allowed to do differently for Iowa that would help them.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
I’d hope to see a person come on who could evaluate talent, get top kids signed as well as finding an occasional sleeper.
isn’t that what M* does? wouldn’t he have plenty of time out of season to do that?

this thread rubbed me the wrong way because it was an obvious troll attempt (wasn’t it?)

I think we all would be ok with adding a position like this without canning any other staff….if it’s legal and affordable

Okay, I'll bite:

If you had / where able to replace one coach on the wrestling staff ...

I'd replace Carl over in Happy Valley with my neighbor's kid. The kid can't wrestle for sh*t, but at least we'd keep Carl away from the talent in PA. ;)

Oh, you meant OUR coaching staff? Ah, nevermind . . .

I’d hope to see a person come on who could evaluate talent, get top kids signed as well as finding an occasional sleeper.
I don't think a recruiting coordinator is going to do that any better than who we already have. At the top schools, the athletes do all the evaluating for you by going to all the national level events and competing against the best. More sucky schools might need someone with a keen eye on finding sleepers, but Iowa and the like don't need it.

Send your coaches to the big events, watch the matches on flo for the ones they don't go to, get a subscription to MatScouts to look at rankings, have Moriah setup recruiting visits.

For fun, if I had a thought to change the Iowa staff…

I would Fire Tom, but retain terry. I think forcing terry to honor his contract under those terms would create just enough drama to help grow the sport. No one turns away from a train wreck.

I concede this wouldn’t improve Iowa wrestling (not my circus not my monkey). That being said, it would make for good drama. And in the immortal words of the black eyed peas “we don’t want no drama”… which in fact means we do want drama.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub

never say never ;)

giphy-downsized-large.gif

never say never ;)

Hell yeah I hope you do! And after you get hired, I hope it becomes common practice for D1 schools to basically have a scouting department. Talk about a dream job… Haha you’d be creating glimmers of hope for guys like me!

This is ludicrous! Dumb whatever you want to call it! Tom is a straight shooter that tells it like it is. Recruits the right way and is not a used car salesman. He cares so much for our guys on and off the mat and is loyal to them all. Terry is the coach that everybody wants maybe not the best recruiter but he is what makes the program tick! Terry is the reason why Spencer is here and not at the other place. Ryan is so great at recruiting and puts in the extra work to get kids to come her the right. Without Ryan there is no Young, Kemdawg, Bull, Warner, I could go on and on but you get the point. Telford is probably the best big coach we have had and is molding Cass and Warner into something special. Be careful what you wish for without this group of coaches we would be in a world of hurt.

Also if I were to get ride of a coach out there it would be Manning no wait it’s pretty comical to watch him rant and rave from time to time. I guess the one thing I would really like to see is Cunningham get his own team and see how good Carl really is.

This is ludicrous! Dumb whatever you want to call it! Tom is a straight shooter that tells it like it is. Recruits the right way and is not a used car salesman. He cares so much for our guys on and off the mat and is loyal to them all. Terry is the coach that everybody wants maybe not the best recruiter but he is what makes the program tick! Terry is the reason why Spencer is here and not at the other place. Ryan is so great at recruiting and puts in the extra work to get kids to come her the right. Without Ryan there is no Young, Kemdawg, Bull, Warner, I could go on and on but you get the point. Telford is probably the best big coach we have had and is molding Cass and Warner into something special. Be careful what you wish for without this group of coaches we would be in a world of hurt.
Who has been responsible for bringing in all of the top pfp guys through the years?

Good question. @smalls103 what would be a perfect job description for a position like this?
not sure for most people. for myself, i'd want to obviously have input on targets, scholarship allocation, and plotting out future lineup. but i'd also need to be able to go to tournaments. while that's probably a non-starter at most programs, it's the only way i could assure myself the best shot to be effective. so much of recruiting (and particularly bust-rate) is ascertained outside of the six minutes on the mat. watching video just doesnt cut it.

This is ludicrous! Dumb whatever you want to call it!
of course. the current staff does great and is recruiting very well. i don't think Iowa needs a recruiting coordinator as much as it would be a luxury, add another perspective and lighten the load

not sure for most people. for myself, i'd want to obviously have input on targets, scholarship allocation, and plotting out future lineup. but i'd also need to be able to go to tournaments. while that's probably a non-starter at most programs, it's the only way i could assure myself the best shot to be effective. so much of recruiting (and particularly bust-rate) is ascertained outside of the six minutes on the mat. watching video just doesnt cut it.

of course. the current staff does great and is recruiting very well. i don't think Iowa needs a recruiting coordinator as much as it would be a luxury, add another perspective and lighten the load
Bc we are playing ask Willie questions. —What do you think is the biggest wtf when it comes to watching a hs prospect and then not panning out?? (Obviously injured wrestlers not included) I know you had a few people high on board that didn’t work out too well. (Not to jerk ya off, but your rankings are generally good)

in order to do that, wouldn't you have to be a full assistant? At least to make contacts with kids? Agree that to make good judgements need to see actions/interaction off the mat, following wins and especially losses.

Willie, I'd have you serving Carver Cones, but that's just me.
Can I get one of those in a cup? ;)

A Q&A with me would be the most exciting thing this board has seen since Brody Grothus retired.
What about a Q&A with Brody Grothus and a retirement party for you, Willie?
As far as truth serum, I'd recommend some good corn whisky from Cedar Ridge up in Swisher. If that can't shake the truth outta you, nothing will.

M* replaced by JB. Not because of anything except jb winding down career and would be a huge recruiting pull and would help develope some of our studs on neutral scoring.

ADVERTISEMENT