ADVERTISEMENT

if you knew we were going to get only one...

Quintana

HR All-American
Oct 18, 2011
Over the Hills and Far Away
between Tyler Cook and Charlie Moore, who would you rather get?

obviously I would LOVE to have them both play for us, but just for fun who do you think is the most important for the team? does getting moore open up Chicago even more for us, does that affect your answer? does the fact we have Christian Williams make losing out on CM more palatable, making TC the critical get?

I think I would choose cook... I think. of course we already know revkev's answer. ;)

Too much like, "Which kid is your favorite", for me to answer. I guess the one that wants to be a Hawkeye.

As to which is more important to the team, I'd have to see how it plays out. I'm not one that is horribly upset with the notion of Bohannon as a Hawkeye. I would say though that Iowa needs to sign a point guard, more than we need to sign a power forward.

To be serious I would have to go with moore. I think he could really push the action, set the tempo, drive the ball to the hoop and either score or kick out to one of the many shooters we will have this year. Like I said before getting both would be awesome but il go with the little guy first.

Reactions: IronFist1776
If Moore can live up to his ever-growing hype, I'd like to see that. I want to see Iowa with a VERY capable AND dangerous point guard. I love Gesell and Clemmons, but I think Moore can take it to the next level more often.

obviously I would LOVE to have them both play for us, but just for fun who do you think is the most important for the team? does getting moore open up Chicago even more for us, does that affect your answer? does the fact we have Christian Williams make losing out on CM more palatable, making TC the critical get?

I think I would choose cook... I think. of course we already know revkev's answer. ;)

While acknowledging both are a huge need and would be a great get, personally I would go with Moore in a heartbeat. As our roster currently stands, we have what most consider to be a power forward in Dale Jones and Ahmad Wagner. Whether either is truly a 4 is up for debate as Jones seems to play on the perimeter quite a bit and Wagner is a great athlete but perhaps undersized a bit for a four. We currently don't have a PG on the roster so my quick answer is Moore(sure Williams might develop into one, but he might not).

Hope we get both but if I had to choose one it would be Moore.

I would go with Cook; he's a game-changer. He's a type of player we haven't really had under Fran, and we don't have anyone like him on our radar right now. I feel that while Moore would be the most ideal option at PG, we have other decent fallback options, and Connor will be coming in '17 to play some point. Still, a tough call.

Moore, just barely.

Maybe we could take the best of both .....say.... Charlie Cook, a rabbit- quick dribbling wizard and power rebounding machine who can score in a variety of ways from long range bombs and pretty floaters to massive dunks who also happens to be a pretty good political election forecaster.

Moore, just barely.

Maybe we could take the best of both .....say.... Charlie Cook, a rabbit- quick dribbling wizard and power rebounding machine who can score in a variety of ways from long range bombs and pretty floaters to massive dunks who also happens to be a pretty good political election forecaster.
Sounds like a real player! Go get'em Fran!

Both are equally important because we seldom get players of this quality. With two Bigs committed, a PG is more critical but man Cook is a difference maker.

I would have to say Moore, hands down. PG is such an important position that it affects the whole team and we haven't had a break down the defense shoot/dish PG since Fran's been at Iowa. Moore would get his teammates a lot of open looks.
IMO, Cook is just gravy as we already have some capable bigs albeit not at Cook's level. Would have loved for them to both visit on the same day but whatever happens happens and there's no use sweating it. If Fran managed to get both guys, it'd be like when he got Gessel and Woody, only 10 times better. It would mean that Fran can pull ballers from other states and also confirm a solid line into Chicago recruiting.

Reactions: nu2u
At this point you have to say Moore. That's the biggest problem with Iowa not getting a pg recruit last year. Now we have to have one and if we can only take Moore or Cook, you have to take Moore. Cook probably is the more impressive player but we need a true pg.

I'll play along and say that I'd rather have Cook, simply because I think his upside is higher than Moore's. I think Cook could eventually be unstoppable in the post and is big enough to bang with the biggest guys in a tough Big Ten Conference.

In reality though, I think we either hit a home run and get both or strike out and get neither. I think that they have mentioned that playing together would be a possibility and I don't see that at anywhere other than Iowa. If they decide not to play together, then I see Cook at Missouri, and Moore either at Illinois or a more prestigious school if one comes calling.

Note: I think we get both and don't find it necessarily discouraging that Moore didn't schedule an official to Iowa.

Uno, like your optimism but I'm not feeling it. I think Moore is no longer in play no matter what is said by his camp. I really think the in-state pressure became too great and he's an Illini.

Glad Cook is visiting, at least we have a shot.

Cook. @DanL53 has me talked into believing we didn't want him

Now we are saying, hope we can get one. Cook will be hard to pull out of Missouri, hope Fran can pull it off.

I think Moore is out. I think we have an EXCELLENT shot at Cook and will be extremely pleased if he chooses Iowa, which I think he will.

Reactions: AZmess
Well, unfortunately I am 1 for 1.

When Cook goes elsewhere it will be 2 for 2.

Then a Bohannon commitment which I am adding now will make me 3 for 3.

Well, unfortunately I am 1 for 1.

When Cook goes elsewhere it will be 2 for 2.

Then a Bohannon commitment which I am adding now will make me 3 for 3.
I found an interesting article from Tom Kirkendall back in 1996 regarding recruiting basketball players to Iowa. Here is what he said regarding Tom Davis and recruiting:

"Here are my recommendations for upgrading the quality of Coach Davis' recruiting at Iowa:

1. Concentrate on recruiting the grade B prospects. As Miller and Olsen proved, these are the heart and soul of good Iowa teams. There are more of them than grade A prospects, and they generally do not take as much time to recruit as the grade A guys, so you can hedge your risk of losing one better than you can with a grade A prospect. No grade B prospect produced by an Iowa high school should be allowed to get away from Iowa.

2. Don't ever lose a grade A prospect produced by an Iowa high school. This type of player is so rare that it is pretty inexcusable to allow one to get away. The loss of LaFrenz was a big blow to Davis' program. If Davis loses Oliver, I may become a convert to the Herky Davis-basher group.

3. The only grade C and D prospects that Iowa should recruit are "project" big men. Forget wasting scholarships on grade C guard prospects like McCausland. Iowa's program has reached a status that all of its "open court" prospects (i.e., point and big guards, and small forward) should be at least of grade B quality."

Here is what he is referring to as to the grading system.

"Grade A prospect: This means that the balance of information known about the player is overwhelmingly positive. This does not mean that the player is going to be a superstar or even a star player. Some will and some won't. What this term means is that there is no apparent reason why this player should not become a star. Looking at his future, there is no limit. A grade A prospect has roughly a 40% chance of becoming a star in Division I, a 65% chance of being good, and an 85% chance of being a starter for at least a part of his career. A grade A prospect is usually either a very good or dominating player by his sophomore year in high school.

Grade B prospect: This means that what we know about the prospect is mostly good, but that there is something about him that bothers you. For example, an exciting player with good physical skills who has lousy fundamentals. Or an athlete that was a "late bloomer" physically and has not played at a high level throughout his high school career. Many grade B prospects will go on to be Division I stars, so this category does not mean that they won't be a star--only that there is something to worry about. A grade B prospect has roughly a 10-15% chance of becoming a star in Division I, a 40-50% chance of being a good player, and a 70% chance of being at least a marginal regular for at least a part of his career. Virtually all grade A and B prospects will play in Division I. A grade B prospect is usually either a very good or dominating player by his junior year in high school.

Grade C prospect: This means that there is an even mix of information about the prospect that makes you think that he will (i) be a good Division I player, and (ii) won't make it at the Division I level. Occasionally, a Class C prospect will become a star at the Division I level. But not very often. For every Class C prospect that becomes a star, dozens of prospects in this category sink into oblivion without a trace. A grade C prospect has only a slight chance of being a Division I star, and about a 50-50 chance of playing regularly for a part of his career. A grade C prospect is usually a very good player by his senior year in high school.

Grade D prospect: This means that there the indications about the player are predominantly, but not overwhelmingly, negative. The term Grade D prospect means that there is something here that you have to like. It is extremely rare for a Grade D prospect to become a Division I star. Guy V. Lewis, the legendary former Houston coach, once told me that Hakeem Olajuwon was the only Grade D prospect that he had ever heard of who had become a Division I star.

For a variety of reasons that I will address in a future post, Iowa has never been able to attract many Grade A prospects to either its football or basketball program. As a result, Iowa has traditionally relied upon attracting an occasional grade A prospect, a few grade B prospects, a whole host of Grade C and D prospects, and then attempted to "coach the hell out of" the C's and D's to remain competitive with other Division I programs which are able to choose primarily from grade A and B prospects."

In his article, Tom refers to Greg Stokes being the 1st grade A player that Lute Olson was able to recruit. Ronnie Lester was listed as a grade B player as was Armstrong, Horton, Wright, and Lorenzen. Previous players that were listed as grade A according to Tom Kirkendall (through 1996) were Don Nelson, Carl Cain, Ben McGilmer, John Johnson, Fred Brown, James Speed, Clay Hargrave, Roy Marble, Kenyon Murray, and Dean Oliver.

Perhaps with AAU players a lot has changed in identifying talent. I think however that Cook would be a grade A and Charlie Moore would be a grade B from the definitions above if you agree with them. Jordan Bohannon I believe would also be a grade B player if you agree with Tom's definitions.

good read regibson1. Thanks. Kind of the old, own the state and supplement with the best you can get from outside the borders theory. A theory I think is as good today as it ever was.

But forget all that for a second. A reason I'm optimistic for the future. The last Rivals top 150 player from Iowa? Gesell and Woody's class. But through that drought we've seen Iowa improve. And the last two years we've heard concerns of how to replace Marble, White and Olaseni. All unranked three star guys. If one is going to sign the unheralded guys, I guess the thing to do is sign the good ones.

Now that Iowa is providing some instate talent again. To my way of thinking we can expect to have some very good teams coming up. Which will expand our influence as we recruit out of state.

Reactions: BuckRussel
I'd like to get Cook. When I think of big ten point guards that dominate I can't come up with even one that is as small as Moore. Pierre jackson from Baylor is the only small guard I've seen in awhile that was truly great. Big people beat up little people. We finally did some damage in the big ten last year. We had white who was at his peak strength wise and gabe who was strong as he's ever been and a more mature woody. Big ten: need big guys that can jump.

3. The only grade C and D prospects that Iowa should recruit are "project" big men. Forget wasting scholarships on grade C guard prospects like McCausland. Iowa's program has reached a status that all of its "open court" prospects (i.e., point and big guards, and small forward) should be at least of grade B quality."

anyone else catch this little nugget? this was written in 96, Kent was just coming off of his RS freshman year. he didn't turn out too bad, i would say. knowing what we know now, do you believe the author would re-categorize Kent or leave him as a grade C, unworthy of a scholy?

that pesky hindsight. you just never know how some of these kids are going to turn out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT