ADVERTISEMENT

If you mispronounce Kamala's name, you're a racist...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
CHICAGO (AP) — Bantering during the final night of the Democratic National Convention, actor Julia Louis-Dreyfus and former presidential candidate Andrew Yang repeatedly got the name of “our current vice president” wrong. Was it “Mika Pints?” or “Paints?” Or maybe “Ponce,” Yang suggested.

“Oh, some kind of weird foreign name?” Louis-Dreyfus asked.

“Yeah, not very American sounding,” Yang replied.

It was a quick bit of satire with a pointed message from Democrats: When top Republicans — including President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence — mispronounce Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris’ first name, it’s not just disrespectful, it’s racist.

Harris’ first name is pronounced “KAH’-mah-lah” — or, as she explains in her biography, “‘comma-la,’ like the punctuation mark.” But mispronunciations have been rampant in the days since the California senator became the first Black woman and the first Asian American woman named to a major party’s ticket. Pence referred to her as “kah-MAH’-lah,” putting his emphasis on the second syllable, at events last week. Republican National Committee Chair Ronna McDaniel did the same on Wednesday, as did Trump at a rally in Pennsylvania on Thursday, the day after Harris delivered a prime-time speech accepting the Democratic nomination — a speech he indicated he watched.

Harris’ supporters say the pattern amounts to a deliberate effort by Trump and his allies to portray Harris — the daughter of immigrants — as someone who does not belong at the top ranks of politics. The mispronunciations follow a string of attacks that include racist and sexist memes and questioning whether Harris, who was born in California, is eligible to serve as vice president because her mother was Indian and her father Jamaican. (Constitutional scholars and other legal experts say there is no question that she is eligible.)

“It is an effort to diminish her,” said Fatima Goss Graves, president of the National Women’s Law Center Action Fund. ”It’s designed to signal difference.”

Trump campaign officials did not immediately respond to questions about the errors.

https://apnews.com/7d48d55b29bfde0effa345a0e6509593

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Because she's not, nor ever will be, the VP. Is that difficult to understand for you?

tenor.gif

Ta ma toe, ta may toe.
The trump is perpetually mean spirited. His bile has infected many.

Lol, people like trad have been intentionally mispronouncing names like hers forever but now get indignant when called out for it. So fragile.
Yeah, some bozo the other day was calling the VP camel toe. That is the crowd cheering for the incumbent.

bro? I didn't know some people say bra

Kids learn at an early age it's what Santa Claus says it's only two letters rhymes with bro

You said it was two letters so it’s not bro.

Go ahead. Call her what you so desperately want to call her.

Kids learn at an early age it's what Santa Claus says it's only two letters rhymes with bro

You said it was two letters so it’s not bro.

Go ahead. Call her what you so desperately want to call her.
Biden takes it a step further and calls her " rhymes with rum" I don't understand how he gets away with it well I do understand he's a Democrat so he can call her what he wants

I honestly thought it was pronounced just like the wrestler, until reading this. I also don’t see how mispronouncing someone’s name is racist. But, just like I request that people refrain from using the R-Word, I will respectfully try my best to pronounce it Comma-la.

What’s funny is my MIL, who is as left as Joes Place is, pronounces it incorrectly. If this now makes her racist, I’m going to have a freaking field day with that!

Reactions: UKGrad93
I never even post h. e. double toothpicks on here I always say heck so I'm darn sure not going to post anything about ladies of the evening. i never do s word only crap

I honestly thought it was pronounced just like the wrestler, until reading this. I also don’t see how mispronouncing someone’s name is racist. But, just like I request that people refrain from using the R-Word, I will respectfully try my best to pronounce it Comma-la.

What’s funny is my MIL, who is as left as Joes Place is, pronounces it incorrectly. If this now makes her racist, I’m going to have a freaking field day with that!

The “purposefully” part makes all the difference.

Your MIL is not likely running against Harris; Trump and Pence are.

Again, I keep asking, but nobody is answering. Why would politicians running against her purposefully mispronounce her name?

Again, I keep asking, but nobody is answering. Why would politicians running against her purposefully mispronounce her name?
why does Joe say it to where it rhymes with rum unless it's his Philadelphia accent

the evening after she was announced as the pick, Tucker was intentionally saying it wrong on a panel. When a panelist corrected him, he feigned outrage and start some ridiculous rant about now he wasn’t allowed to criticize her somehow.

Maybe it’s not racism, maybe... at minimum it’s intentionally disrespectful. She’s been in the Senate for 4 years and has been in the public eye long before that. They all know how to pronounce her name, don’t kid yourself that it’s on accident.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT