ADVERTISEMENT

If you think this year is bad...

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
I shudder to think what next year, and probably two years, are going to be for this team. Murry will leave so who do they get points from? Over all they play soft. They get hammered on the boards, can't play defense and there is no second option on offense. Buckle up for some really ugly basketball, if you haven't done so already.

I shudder to think what next year, and probably two years, are going to be for this team. Murry will leave so who do they get points from? Over all they play soft. They get hammered on the boards, can't play defense and there is no second option on offense. Buckle up for some really ugly basketball, if you haven't done so already.
I couldn’t disagree more. We’re bringing in a couple of recruits who will contribute immediately and we lose two players who, frankly, are playing way too many minute. There is talent on this team, inexperienced talent. Losing Keegan is tough, but I really think his brother will take a big step forward when given the chance. I do agree we need to find a solution to the rebounding problem, but that player may already be on the team.

This team can still win a lot of games this year. Big Ten is not great. The problem I see with this team is that the best three players are all kind of the same position. The Murray twins and Patrick are all really modern day 4s. Guard play is a big issue and so is the 5 spot. They really need to address PG in the offseason. Joe T and Ullis are both backup type guys in a major conference.

Reactions: Hawkenschpiel
I couldn’t disagree more. We’re bringing in a couple of recruits who will contribute immediately and we lose two players who, frankly, are playing way too many minute. There is talent on this team, inexperienced talent. Losing Keegan is tough, but I really think his brother will take a big step forward when given the chance. I do agree we need to find a solution to the rebounding problem, but that player may already be on the team.

Two three stars will not replace Murray next year.

Two three stars will not replace Murray next year.
Wasn’t Murray a 3 star? But no, I don’t expect them to. Although I do think they will contribute substantially.

The common denominator is Fran. Scoring points has usually not been an issue for his teams. Defense and rebounding have. Iowa gave up 87 points last night to a Wisconsin team that averages 70.

Last year was Iowa’s best chance to do anything of consequence with Fran and they got run out of the gym by Oregon. The ceiling has been reached with Fran.

Generally speaking, you need an all-conference type player to compete and then some borderline all-conference pieces around them. If Kris improves like Keegan, we could be okay. We would also need Mulvey or Big O to improve into a starter and rotational piece and Sandfort to knock down shots and space the floor. That's a lot of improvement from a lot of players. Otherwise we're looking a little low on talent next year. With NIL's and basically free agency, Fran has the potential to go out and find pieces we're missing but that's unlikely.

With NIL's and basically free agency, Fran has the potential to go out and find pieces we're missing but that's unlikely.
This is precisely why Iowa will slowly slip into mediocrity with Fran. He is unwilling to adapt or change. There’s no excuse for his teams to continue to be this bad defensively other than Fran either doesn’t emphasize it or is too incompetent to teach it. And there’s no excuse not to do a better job of utilizing the portal and JUCO ranks to shore up the roster.

Like it or not, the new boss in Ames proved you can turn a roster around in the span of one season. Fran is stuck in his ways and won’t change. That’s probably why he keeps the same assistants. The sooner Fran is shown the door the better.

Having an AA center and player of the year in Garza wasn’t expected to be replaced or plug n play skill wise.

But having something better than 2 projects that never play any mins was reasonable.

There’s no help on the horizon. And it will get worse. Maybe empty quiet Carver is on to something.

I want what this guy is smokin.

Reactions: TheRealHerky
Maybe empty quiet Carver is on to something.
The fans know. Despite what the Superfans and Sunshine Club members say…..Fran is doing a poor job and this is not a good team. Iowa fans are becoming apathetic about Hawkeye men’s basketball. This is year what….15? No Sweet 16. Has never won more than 1 game in the BTT. Consistently poor coaching decisions. His teams can’t play defense or rebound.

Fran apparently subscribes to the Paul Westhead Loyola Marymount strategy of putting up a lot of points. This is fine when everybody is shooting well and/or the other team doesn’t play defense. But that strategy doesn’t work in the Big 10 or against the better teams.

I know Fran isn’t going anywhere. He basically has a job for life under Barta. And I am grateful that Fran resurrected Hawkeye basketball from the ash heap.

But I won’t shed a tear when he leaves.

Last edited:
The fact that Kris isn't being given the chance right now is a total joke. Pat is a near zero sum player because he's so awful on defense it cancels out much of the positives he brings. He should play plenty but not above Kris who is already just an all around better player

Unfortunately this very well may happen. Two years of Garza and this year with Keegan are covering up a lot. We couldn’t even make a sweet 16 the last two years with Garza and unlikely this team makes the tournament this year. I’d be hopeful if Fran could get any of his teams to play at least average defense but that’s unlikely too.

This team can still win a lot of games this year. Big Ten is not great. The problem I see with this team is that the best three players are all kind of the same position. The Murray twins and Patrick are all really modern day 4s. Guard play is a big issue and so is the 5 spot. They really need to address PG in the offseason. Joe T and Ullis are both backup type guys in a major conference.
Patrick is not one of the 3 best players on this team.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
I think Patrick has a lot of talent, but his upside is limited by his poor shooting. He also needs to get a lot more aggressive on the glass.
Hes got talent but he's so undisciplined and passive in the lane.

He had some very good moments last night but then half the shots he took were ridiculous.

Hes never going to be very effective on either end until he stops being scared of contact.

Hes tall and athletic but doesn't want to play like it.

I'm beginning to think that Fran's number one priority is not winning games. It's coaching his kid's team.

That's cool in middle school and rec league...but it's leading to fan apathy and empty seats at CHA.
And it's starting to piss me off.

Last edited:
Reactions: DewHawk
I'm beginning to think that Fran's number one priority is not winning games. It's coaching his kid's team.

200w.gif

Reactions: TheRealHerky
ADVERTISEMENT