ADVERTISEMENT

If You Were an Advisor to President Biden ...

Jul 16, 2022
Would you suggest he pivot to the right (like Bill Clinton did so successfully) if the Dems loose control of the House and/or Senate?

Would you suggest he run for re-election in 2024 ... or retire at the Delaware beach house?

He is going to have to make these two important decisions shortly after the midterms. The clock is ticking already on 2024 ... strategies and plans need to be put in place and communicated effectively by January.

If the Dems lose - as now looks inevitable - Biden should immediately declare a national emergency on climate change and do whatever he can, while he can.

Why? Because climate change IS a national emergency.

Sure, sure, the House Republicans will probably impeach him for it. Executive overreach or whatever.

Imagine a future storm/flood/fire/wind-ravaged America looking back at the Republicans impeaching a President for actually trying to deal with the disaster.

1. I would suggest he waits before making any decisions to determine how the Republicans are going to legislate. There would be no benefit to "going to the right" if the proposed legislation is untenable or there are endless investigations in lieu of legislation.

2. Retire-Work over the next two years in helping identify the best person to run in 2024.

I don't expect Biden to run.

If impeached - and I will be surprised if he isn't impeached - he might even step down.

That would be a shame because any impeachment would almost certainly be a travesty. But despite his flaws, Biden has shown that he respects our institutions, so he might follow Nixon's lead rather than Clinton's or Trump's.

Reactions: BelemNole
Does Biden have a Delaware beach house? No reason he shouldn't, but I've never heard it mentioned. Could have gotten one cheap for most of his career. It's not Martha's Vineyard.

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk
Does Biden have a Delaware beach house? No reason he shouldn't, but I've never heard it mentioned. Could have gotten one cheap for most of his career. It's not Martha's Vineyard.
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware ... purchased in 2017 ... his home overlooks the marshes. Walking distance to beach.

Pivot to the right? Why? There no longer is a constituency on the right. There are liberals, moderates, and MAGATS.

Biden should announce that he will not run in 2024, allowing others to begin positioning themselves for the primaries.

The Republicans would be stupid to open that can of worms. They would be better off having him run.
This. There are members of his administration who will likely be impeached, but not him. I think it’s likely the mental deterioration is too much and he doesn’t make it to ‘24.

If the Dems lose - as now looks inevitable - Biden should immediately declare a national emergency on climate change and do whatever he can, while he can.

Sure, sure, the House Republicans will probably impeach him for it. Executive overreach or whatever.

Imagine a future storm/flood/fire/wind-ravaged America looking back at the Republicans impeaching a President for actually trying to deal with the disaster.
Fentanyl is a bigger issue

Reactions: NCHawk5
1. I would suggest he waits before making any decisions to determine how the Republicans are going to legislate.
Normally that would make sense but under current circumstances I strongly disagree. There are some genuine crises that we can count on the GOP to make much worse. Climate change, obviously. Health care. Maybe even Social Security and/or Medicare. And, of course, democracy and election integrity.

That will be great for those who plan to profit from the climate crisis, those who are well off and want lower taxes, and those who yearn for a return to the Articles of Confederation. But for 80% of Americans (or more) that will be a disaster.

Biden needs to act swiftly on whatever he can, so that good policies are in place when the Rs take over Congress.

Sure, once they hold Congress, the Rs will move to reverse or undermine whatever Biden tried to do. But it's harder to get rid of good policies that are already in place. So Biden (and the Dems for as long as they hold Congress) need to be really assertive.

Which probably means wineboarding Manchin and Sinema until they agree to do the right thing on climate and democracy initiatives.

Normally that would make sense but under current circumstances I strongly disagree. There are some genuine crises that we can count on the GOP to make much worse. Climate change, obviously. Health care. Maybe even Social Security and/or Medicare. And, of course, democracy and election integrity.

That will be great for those who plan to profit from the climate crisis, those who are well off and want lower taxes, and those who yearn for a return to the Articles of Confederation. But for 80% of Americans (or more) that will be a disaster.

Biden needs to act swiftly on whatever he can, so that good policies are in place when the Rs take over Congress.

Sure, once they hold Congress, the Rs will move to reverse or undermine whatever Biden tried to do. But it's harder to get rid of good policies that are already in place. So Biden (and the Dems for as long as they hold Congress) need to be really assertive.

Which probably means wineboarding Manchin and Sinema until they agree to do the right thing on climate and democracy initiatives.

I was answering the question as it was posed, about moving to the right, if there is a loss of the house and or senate.
That said, I would disagree with trying to hammer through major policy changes while getting rid of the filibuster after a loss. If the democrats and Biden were to succeed that move would set a terrible precedent and would be an opening for the Republicans to make major policy changes in the same fashion if they win in 2024. Although the likelihood of getting the votes is minimal because there will be some, definitely Sinema, who will not want to burn the bridge with Republicans. So if he does try and fail then Biden looks like a bitter, ineffective leader which would undermine his next two years.

Reactions: BustingNarratives
I think you are right about this Nole. Sinema and Manchin are set on the filibuster, not going to budge. There is also the fact that the Ds will be defending 23 Senate Seats in 2024 and the Rs only defend 10. Ds would be stupid to hand that gift to the Rs.

Last edited:
I would disagree with trying to hammer through major policy changes while getting rid of the filibuster after a loss. If the democrats and Biden were to succeed that move would set a terrible precedent and would be an opening for the Republicans to make major policy changes in the same fashion if they win in 2024.
The Rs will ditch the filibuster if/when it suits them - whether or not the Dems did so first.

The idea is to implement good policies ahead of the GOP takeover in the hope that those policies will be seen as worth keeping by the electorate.

the likelihood of getting the votes is minimal because there will be some, definitely Sinema, who will not want to burn the bridge with Republicans. So if he does try and fail then Biden looks like a bitter, ineffective leader which would undermine his next two years.
This is why Biden is calling for a +2 in the Senate. Merely holding the tie-breaker isn't enough.

Rs ran Liz Chaney out. She's as rational right as you can get. Biden could be Romney 2.0 and the current GOP would still bitch.
Yep Rs ran Cheney out and the Dems lost Tulsi and also Andrew Yang. Each side probably thinks they got the better of that trade.

The Rs will ditch the filibuster if/when it suits them - whether or not the Dems did so first.

The idea is to implement good policies ahead of the GOP takeover in the hope that those policies will be seen as worth keeping by the electorate.

I understand the idea, I just don't think it is a good idea. Desperation moves rarely work out and typically put those who try in a worse position. We can agree to disagree as that is not a move I would advise

This is why Biden is calling for a +2 in the Senate. Merely holding the tie-breaker isn't enough.

Understand that, but the Democrats gaining seats is not germane to this discussion

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware ... purchased in 2017 ... his home overlooks the marshes. Walking distance to beach.

Biden’s Delaware vacation home faces ‘extreme’ flood risk as climate change leads to rising seas​

So that's why Biden cares about climate change.

Biden’s Delaware vacation home faces ‘extreme’ flood risk as climate change leads to rising seas​

So that's why Biden cares about climate change.
Obama was smarter. He built about 300 yards off the water in Martha’s Vineyard.

They just passed a climate change bill a couple months ago…it was called the Inflation Reduction Act

Last edited:
Reactions: seminoleed

The **** it does

If I was an advisor I’d say bite the bullet and hire a new press secretary…Jean-Pierre is horrible.

They need a competent person in that spot and she ain’t it.
She's not the Clowns of the previous debacle but she isn't Pskaki. Not a bad take. Hats off

If I was an advisor I’d say bite the bullet and hire a new press secretary…Jean-Pierre is horrible.

They need a competent person in that spot and she ain’t it.
She is horrible. He needs to get her out of that position fast. Incompetence on display and can’t tell the truth. She’s awful.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Would you suggest he pivot to the right (like Bill Clinton did so successfully) if the Dems loose control of the House and/or Senate?

Would you suggest he run for re-election in 2024 ... or retire at the Delaware beach house?

He is going to have to make these two important decisions shortly after the midterms. The clock is ticking already on 2024 ... strategies and plans need to be put in place and communicated effectively by January.
Whatever Susan Rice and Ron Klain tell Jill to tell Joe.

Yes, good advice. Biden should move for dictatorial control, to save the planet, and of course, our democracy.

ADVERTISEMENT