ADVERTISEMENT

If you were in charge . . . who would you select as the new Athletic Director?

Fairly remarkable when you think about it, isn't it Thirteen? Grown men on a message board desperately hoping the AD gets fired in the hopes of fulfilling their fantasy that one of the winningest coaches in Iowa football history might get fired by his replacement.....:p

And we wonder why the world is jacked up.......:D

fire Barta because he thinks 7 wins is impressive...
that's not low IQ.... that's complete bat sh*t insanity.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Being a Hawkeye fan living in Ohio for a number of years, seriously, I would go to Andy Geiger ( age 78 ) and get his recommendation. He was a very successful AD at both Stanford and Ohio State. He is very well connected and knows how to be successful ... both financially and in terms of team success across the full range of sports. I don't think Barta deserves to have an extended stay, but if Kirk is a fan and he is the money raiser people say he is, those two factors can not discounted. ( I would love him as much as KF if he hired me for the rest of my coaching days, paid me a boatload of money and stayed out of my way. )

Don't shoot the messenger BUT under Barta's leadership, Iowa has finished either last or next to last of the Big Ten athletic departments in the Directors Cup rankings in 8 out of the last 10 years. I know many fans judge the athletic department's success on the basis of one or two of their favorite sports. However, in judging the success of an AD, the criteria can not be that narrow. Wonder why his contract was extend thru 2021? Certainly, not on the basis of his ability to avoid litigation

Reactions: BDJHawk
Don't shoot the messenger BUT under Barta's leadership, Iowa has finished either last or next to last of the Big Ten athletic departments in the Directors Cup rankings in 8 out of the last 10 years. I know many fans judge the athletic department's success on the basis of one or two of their favorite sports. However, in judging the success of an AD, the criteria can not be that narrow. Wonder why his contract was extend thru 2021? Certainly, not on the basis of his ability to avoid litigation

Well as I said before...Iowa is very good in the sports that need to matter here and he resurrected baseball from literal death and most importantly we have generated the 15th most monies in the AD in the nation over the last few years and even more importantly we are one of a very few AD's in the country that doesn't outspend their income and are actually in the black.

Some fans don't like it (though they are the problem) but sports is a business now first and foremost and Gary Barta is a machine at generating monies. He won't be fired.

Reactions: thirteenandtwo
wouldn't that be awesome if we were ranked higher in the Directors Cup?
Yep, I always love reading down the rankings of the Big Ten teams to see Iowa listed at the bottom end. Very fitting for a program that is in the top 20 year after year in revenues. One outright big ten championship in the last 6 years... makes a guy real proud!

Yep, I always love reading down the rankings of the Big Ten teams to see Iowa listed at the bottom end. Very fitting for a program that is in the top 20 year after year in revenues. One outright big ten championship in the last 6 years... makes a guy real proud!

As I said Gary Barta isn't getting fired. I think his superiors think he's doing a pretty good job & as for me I'm kind of "meh" on it but I'm not naïve enough to think somebody will pop in and do a lot better job. For the most part I'm pretty satisfied with the big sports and their success rate.

It would be a lot easier to be worse than it would to be better. I realize now when you said "don't shoot the messenger" you weren't just adding a bit of information you're actially a part of the agenda police.

fire Barta because he thinks 7 wins is impressive...
that's not low IQ.... that's complete bat sh*t insanity.

Oh you can add more to it than that.
He discriminates.
Has a secrecy fetish.
Gives out lifetime contracts.
Believes in nepotism.
Like Bowlsby, views the fans as rank amateurs and beneath him.
See . . . there's a lot more to it than just one flaw. But you're a nutjob who thinks the world is coming to an end so I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Oh you can add more to it than that.
He discriminates.
Has a secrecy fetish.(=fireFerentz)
Gives out lifetime contracts. (= fire Ferentz)
Believes in nepotism.(= fire Ferentz)
Like Bowlsby, views the fans as rank amateurs and beneath him.(=fireFerentz)
See . . . there's a lot more to it than just one flaw. But you're a nutjob who thinks the world is coming to an end so I wouldn't expect you to understand.

all I see is you wanting Kirk Ferentz fired... that's the only thing I get from that.
but are you man enough to admit it?

cm99hawks: I have no idea what you are referring to by referencing the "agenda police" and truly have no desire to get into a p+ssing contest!

I would, however, appreciate your informing me as to which of the "sports that matter here" have shown "very good" success? ( I respectfully submit that wrestling is the only correct answer... mens and women basketball and football are certainly competitive, but "very good" is rather generous. ) Recently, Barta has made at least two good hires with volleyball and baseball. But, such hires and balancing a budget should be baseline requirements.

I agree that sports is a business. But from that perspective, a consistent history of second division performances in a majority of sports would be deemed inadequate.

Frankly, your reference to "sports that matter here" seems to be in line with my main grip with Barta: the results of too many of our teams do not suggest that they matter as much as they should! I want any team that Iowa sends on the playing field to be a first division Big Ten team irrespective of the sport. That clearly has not been the case during his tenure.

Iowa should not be expected to always perform at an Ohio State or Penn State level, and we don't. However, the playing field results speak for themselves and by my standards the results are not there. If, on balance, striving for the middle of the pack in most sports is your thing, Barta is your AD.

No. NO. NO. NO.

Omaha Alumnus here, to hell with that guy for cutting football and the wrestling dynasty.
I didn't realize the AD could just up a cut a sport whenever he wanted. I thought it had to go through the board of regents?

None of us doubt your comprehension handicaps. Are you man enough to want to fix them Marshall Applewhite?
you're losing it Joel... no no... I mean that...
let's go through these one by one....

you said "Has a secrecy fetish.".... referring to Gary Barta

by "fetish"... you really mean "fixation"

this is clearly in reference to Gary Barta not using Email

because Gary Barta does not use email.... you believe he should be fired.

would you say that is fair to say, Joel?

cm99hawks: I have no idea what you are referring to by referencing the "agenda police" and truly have no desire to get into a p+ssing contest!

I would, however, appreciate your informing me as to which of the "sports that matter here" have shown "very good" success? ( I respectfully submit that wrestling is the only correct answer... mens and women basketball and football are certainly competitive, but "very good" is rather generous. ) Recently, Barta has made at least two good hires with volleyball and baseball. But, such hires and balancing a budget should be baseline requirements.

Iowa should not be expected to always perform at an Ohio State or Penn State level, and we don't. However, the playing field results speak for themselves and by my standards the results are not there. If, on balance, striving for the middle of the pack in most sports is your thing, Barta is your AD.

Clearly you have a Barta agenda.....question for you though. Why is wrestling the "only" one that has excelled. We haven't won the NC in many years and don't even win the Big 10's anymore. There are only about 5 really high level teams and we appear to be the 4th or 5th of those right now. You could make the case we have become less competitive...Wrestling isn't nearly as deep and competitive as Basketball or football or even baseball for that matter....so you seem to have double standards. It is really interesting to me that "highly competitive" win or nothing wrestling fans seem to hold that scared program to a different level of success. It wasn't very long ago that we used to hear "man I wish Tom Brands would coach the football team" or "Man I wish Fran or KF were more like Tom B, he doesn't except anything less than championships" But as it turns out we don't have to hear that anymore because he does indeed accept less than that.

The reality is people aren't fair with their assessments and agendas. Fortunately we have the people in place who are capable of seeing past jaded opinions to the reality of a good department. So, much to the disappointment (and I for one am enjoying their anxt) of those minor few who wail and scream and nash their teeth, GB, nor KF not Tommy B will be going anywhere soon, but it does beg the question why Tom gets a pass while everyone else sucks?

I'm going to give you some advice....here is how these cats operate. They say dumb crap over and over until you get really obnoxious and sh&%ty back with them and then they act shocked and pretend like you are the problem. Then a number of their cronies will chime and you'll be the bad guy.

The reality is they aren't going to get what they want anyway...

Barta isn't getting fired, nor is KF, nor is Fran and Tommy B great Iowan that he is, isn't any better a coach than those aforementioned folks. These guys are extremely short-sighted, unoriginal and borderline neurotic and better yet, completely powerless to impact anything and it pi^ $% them off....It is incredibly emasculating to them and as I routinely remind them, if they were Utah fans they wouldn't like Kyle Whittingham, if Missouri fans they'd hate their coach, Auburn fans then they'd hate Gus and so so and so on...They are that 10% of people who always thinks the coach sucks. They aren't original, insightful or smart...

Point being, you can't win...I choose to take pot shots at them and lead them into corners to make them feel stupid. I wouldn't engage them directly the neurosis might wear off on you....:D

I'm going to give you some advice....here is how these cats operate. They say dumb crap over and over until you get really obnoxious and sh&%ty back with them and then they act shocked and pretend like you are the problem. Then a number of their cronies will chime and you'll be the bad guy.

The reality is they aren't going to get what they want anyway...

Barta isn't getting fired, nor is KF, nor is Fran and Tommy B great Iowan that he is, isn't any better a coach than those aforementioned folks. These guys are extremely short-sighted, unoriginal and borderline neurotic and better yet, completely powerless to impact anything and it pi^ $% them off....It is incredibly emasculating to them and as I routinely remind them, if they were Utah fans they wouldn't like Kyle Whittingham, if Missouri fans they'd hate their coach, Auburn fans then they'd hate Gus and so so and so on...They are that 10% of people who always thinks the coach sucks. They aren't original, insightful or smart...

Point being, you can't win...I choose to take pot shots at them and lead them into corners to make them feel stupid. I wouldn't engage them directly the neurosis might wear off on you....:D

no no... I ain't worried that their abject retardation might wear off on me...
I have about 50 people on ignore... Joel Bittner is not one of them..
that's because I like Joel...
so I'm going to give him a chance.

see... from what I see of Joel.... on this particular issue...
its quite obvious to me that Joel has put zero thought into his comments.

its like he's holding his breath and really angry at the same time... therefore no oxygen gets to his brain... and then.... that is the point he makes these sorts of comments...

my objective is to give Joel an opportunity to put some thought into what he is saying...

I mean.... to really think about each and every word that he uses...

and listen... I'll be straight forward about this...
lol... I'm setting him up... he can't win.

in my last post... that was the bolo with the right hand.

its like he's holding his breath and really angry at the same time... therefore no oxygen gets to his brain... and then.... that is the point he makes these sorts of comments...

my objective is to give Joel an opportunity to put some thought into what he is saying...

I know, they hate that....in their defense I do get a little over bearing with them at times and I catch a number of people in my wash who might have ordinarily agreed with me, but they just get overwhelmed by my caustic nature. I just get a little tired of their hypocrisy and bitterness so I dedicate myself to screwing with them.....

I've toned it down a tick lately but they made a calculated error in engaging me.

If only you were smart enough to click on the link in my signature, you would realize the irony in your reply. But then again you're thirteenyrsandtwomonths. You need to get control of your emotions and alts before you debate adults little one. In the meantime keep posting. Your fail has our attention in a car crash type of way.

If only you were smart enough to click on the link in my signature, you would realize the irony in your reply. But then again you're thirteenyrsandtwomonths. You need to get control of your emotions before you debate adults little one. In the meantime keep posting. Your fail has our attention in a car crash type of way.

This is the kind of angry things you cats say when you have nothing else....then you accuse your adversary of being angry or hostile and always bringing things up. All the while you guys roll around being hostile, angry and constantly taking pot shots at others....it really is quite a sight to behold.

..... I just get a little tired of their hypocrisy and bitterness so I dedicate myself to screwing with them.....

I've toned it down a tick lately but they made a calculated error in engaging me.

t.a.t., you're projecting again.

The doctor warned you that would happen when you ignored your meds. Remember, whenever you post the board jumps into intervention mode. It's because we care.

The doctor warned you that would happen when you ignored your meds. Remember, whenever you post the board jumps into intervention mode. It's because we care.

Yes, I said it with intent.....you and I are both are hypocrites Joel....LOL, anything else...

I do love it when a good trap comes together...:D

Last edited:
If only you were smart enough to click on the link in my signature, you would realize the irony in your reply. But then again you're thirteenyrsandtwomonths. You need to get control of your emotions and alts before you debate adults little one. In the meantime keep posting. Your fail has our attention in a car crash type of way.

I appreciate the signature... I really do...

but the question I asked you requires a yes or no answer.

By the by Joel, the world is coming to an end, the scientists have proven it is slowing down and if you listen to the green peace and alarmists types, the Global warming will end the world as we know it at some time in the future, so its odd to me that you are having such a difficult time with his thoughts here...short-sightedness I assume.

By the by Joel, the world is coming to an end, the scientists have proven it is slowing down and if you listen to the green peace and alarmists types, the Global warming will end the world as we know it at some time in the future, so its odd to me that you are having such a difficult time with his thoughts here...short-sightedness I assume.

since Joel is afraid to answer my question.... I'll comment on this particular issue of "the end of the world"

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

But the heavens and the earth, which are now,
by the same word are kept in store,
reserved unto fire against the day of judgment
and perdition of ungodly men.

split_ver3_xxlg.jpg

Kevin, M. Night Shyamalan just gave an interview with JAMA and thanked you for revitalizing his career. So don't let anyone tell you your life has been a waste.

Clearly you have a Barta agenda.....question for you though. Why is wrestling the "only" one that has excelled. We haven't won the NC in many years and don't even win the Big 10's anymore. There are only about 5 really high level teams and we appear to be the 4th or 5th of those right now. You could make the case we have become less competitive...Wrestling isn't nearly as deep and competitive as Basketball or football or even baseball for that matter....so you seem to have double standards. It is really interesting to me that "highly competitive" win or nothing wrestling fans seem to hold that scared program to a different level of success. It wasn't very long ago that we used to hear "man I wish Tom Brands would coach the football team" or "Man I wish Fran or KF were more like Tom B, he doesn't except anything less than championships" But as it turns out we don't have to hear that anymore because he does indeed accept less than that.

The reality is people aren't fair with their assessments and agendas. Fortunately we have the people in place who are capable of seeing past jaded opinions to the reality of a good department. So, much to the disappointment (and I for one am enjoying their anxt) of those minor few who wail and scream and nash their teeth, GB, nor KF not Tommy B will be going anywhere soon, but it does beg the question why Tom gets a pass while everyone else sucks?

You can say whatever you want about Gary Barta, but the reality is he's damaged goods at this point.

Hate him, love him, justify his every move through the years, blame him for everything through the years, but the reality is this:

Other than his current employer, if Gary were to attempt to land any other AD job today across America, who would hire him based on what just happened in these two cases against him?

Reactions: JoelBittner

99, you were funnier in the 60s.

7a759171082f35c6f73698852b940966.jpg

Don't get me wrong, you're still funny. Only now we have that uncomfortable feeling of pity whenever we laugh at you.

99, you were funnier in the 60s.

7a759171082f35c6f73698852b940966.jpg

Don't get me wrong, you're still funny. Only now we have that uncomfortable feeling of pity whenever we laugh at you.

Only about 20 or 30 of you and I can live with that percentage and no matter how much you hope it so Gary Bart nor KF are getting fired anytime soon.

You can say whatever you want about Gary Barta, but the reality is he's damaged goods at this point.

Hate him, love him, justify his every move through the years, blame him for everything through the years, but the reality is this:

Other than his current employer, if Gary were to attempt to land any other AD job today across America, who would hire him based on what just happened in these two cases against him?

Will youd think so but we're talking about big business and I have no doubt you could read off a litany of people as could I, who kept getting hired despite it seemingly like they were complete idiots and Gary Barta isn't really an old idiot.

And they recycled all kinds of pariahs when it came to coaching Mike Leach, Bobby Patrino and I'll bet if I put any effort into it I could find plenty of athletic directors who presided over some pretty unfortunate situations so I'm not necessarily inclined to agree with you here.

I agree that sports is a business. But from that perspective, a consistent history of second division performances in a majority of sports would be deemed inadequate.

Frankly, your reference to "sports that matter here" seems to be in line with my main grip with Barta: the results of too many of our teams do not suggest that they matter as much as they should! I want any team that Iowa sends on the playing field to be a first division Big Ten team irrespective of the sport. That clearly has not been the case during his tenure.

I missed this earlier, per the article I linked not only is it not a baseline requirement, it appears to NOT be required at all...There were only 24 Power 5 schools turning a profit, 2 in the PAC12 and none in the ACC. I'd suggest like much of life, people and their abilities and challenges are rarely appreciated until they are gone.

Will youd think so but we're talking about big business and I have no doubt you could read off a litany of people as could I, who kept getting hired despite it seemingly like they were complete idiots and Gary Barta isn't really an old idiot.

And they recycled all kinds of pariahs when it came to coaching Mike Leach, Bobby Patrino and I'll bet if I put any effort into it I could find plenty of athletic directors who presided over some pretty unfortunate situations so I'm not necessarily inclined to agree with you here.

Recycling old football coaches is not the same thing as recycling an Athletic Director who now has been the target of gender injustice and the courts ruled against him. That ain't going to fly with college administrations; sorry.

Recycling old football coaches is not the same thing as recycling an Athletic Director who now has been the target of gender injustice and the courts ruled against him. That ain't going to fly with college administrations; sorry.

I think I mentioned as much, but I assure you it happens.Just like it does in Big Bussines. These college adminstartors are after the money just like evryone else...Go find yourself the article about the first Knights Commission when Sonny Vaccarro stood in front of a room full of those same stuffed shirts. Bryce Jordan emeritus from Penn St said "do you really think we should be an advertising medium for your product"

Vaccaro said no, but you will be, you sold your souls and yoiu want the money....

Its all about the money, if Gary Barta can do a good job he'd get another job. The case was a disaster and everyone knows how those things shake out. It never should have been allowed to go to trial and that wasn't Garys fault. That's the U of I's and their legal counsel. Its never about right or wrong....its the world we live in.

I think I mentioned as much, but I assure you it happens.Just like it does in Big Bussines. These college adminstartors are after the money just like evryone else...Go find yourself the article about the first Knights Commission when Sonny Vaccarro stood in front of a room full of those same stuffed shirts. Bryce Jordan emeritus from Penn St said "do you really think we should be an advertising medium for your product"

Vaccaro said no, but you will be, you sold your souls and yoiu want the money....

Its all about the money, if Gary Barta can do a good job he'd get another job. The case was a disaster and everyone knows how those things shake out. It never should have been allowed to go to trial and that wasn't Garys fault. That's the U of I's and their legal counsel. Its never about right or wrong....its the world we live in.

Gary Barta would be damn good in a fundraising job. His department leadership skills seem to whats in question.

Forget the grammar fail . . . you actually think Gary hires the lawyers for these cases.

Missing-Brains.jpg

I suspect he was trapping you.....I may be wrong but I'd wager he was using subterfuge in pointing out in the grand scheme of things Gary Barta's part in this ended up being quite small. The real onus belongs to U of I, HR and legal counsel and the decision to go to trial, all of which would have been out of Gary's control...

He was trapping you into admitting out loud Gary was a very small player in this whole fiasco...

Well played 13, well played......

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT