ADVERTISEMENT

If You're Vaccinated, Live Your Life...

RunRonnieRun

HR All-American
Aug 23, 2007
By late April, at a time when more than 95 million people in the United States had been vaccinated against COVID-19, the Centers for Disease Control said it had received reports of 9,245 "breakthrough infections." These are cases where a fully vaccinated person still managed to contract the disease. This was probably something of an undercount, the CDC clarified, because it "relies on voluntary reporting from state health departments which may not be complete. Also, not all real-world breakthrough cases will be identified because of lack of testing." But even if the real number of breakthroughs was 10 times the number we know of—90,000 vs. 9,000—it would still represent a minuscule percentage of those vaccinated. This echoes what the CDC reported in early April: "a growing body of evidence suggests that COVID-19 vaccines may also reduce asymptomatic infection, and potentially transmission." Because the vaccines seem to largely prevent people from getting this thing at all, most won't pass it on to others, either.

There was also some evidence of this from the various vaccine manufacturers' clinical trials, even if monitoring this aspect took a backseat to examining the prevention of severe disease. Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson all reported big drops in asymptomatic infections among those vaccinated: J&J estimated a 74 percent reduction, while Pfizer came in at 85 to 89 percent. Another study found that people who'd had just one dose of the Pfizer vax had "viral loads" up to 20 times lower than unvaccinated people who contracted the disease, suggesting that even if you do pick up the virus, you're not carrying nearly as much of it—and thus are less likely to pass it to other people. This is the subtext of the calls from health officials for you to get vaccinated "to protect yourself and others."

All of this is in addition to the baseline finding that the vaccines prevent almost all hospitalization and death (of those 95 million vaccinated in the CDC report above, there were 825 reported hospitalizations, and a quarter of those were asymptomatic or not COVID-related), and that they continue to be effective against known "variants of concern"—like the London or South African or Brazilian strains—they've studied. (BioNTech said Monday that it currently sees "no evidence" that it will need to adapt the vax it developed with Pfizer to combat any new variants, though it is making preparations in that regard. Moderna seems to be farther along on that front.) Barring the development of some Super Strain that evades these protections, it seems like the news is...quite good indeed. If you get vaccinated, it is vanishingly unlikely that you will get severe symptoms, have to be hospitalized, or die. In fact, it is looking more and more unlikely that you will contract the disease at all, or in enough of a viral concentration that you are at major risk of passing it to other people. One principle for life in a free society is that if you're not infringing on the rights of other people, you're usually good to do what you're doing.

Which made the TV testimony of former FDA chief and current Pfizer board member Scott Gottlieb seem pretty reasonable on Monday morning.

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

This was in line with what he had to say on Thursday of last week:

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

We are at the point where we need to convince the unenthused to get vaccinated, and while there are many tools in the toolkit—apparently, free beer stays undefeated—a big one surely must be a big neon sign that says, "YOU GET YOUR LIFE BACK." If at-risk people will be protected from hospitalization and death, and if, as increasingly seems to be the case, very few among the vaccinated will even be contracting or spreading the disease, there is a building scientific basis for the idea that masks for vaccinated people are unnecessary. But it's also crucial in demonstrating to people the real value of vaccines: they will get us back to the things we want to do. It's understandable that the CDC approaches this with caution, and maybe there's a basis for masks in grocery stores and shops, and on public transportation, for a little while longer. Certainly, we can hope that masks on buses and planes and the subway become a durable social norm during flu season.

In fact, as more and more people get vaccinated, COVID is becoming more like the flu—or even the common cold. It was wrong for people to make the comparison early on in the pandemic, but it's becoming more and more apt. Yet we're still getting headlines from the Paper of Record about how herd immunity is now out of reach for our society, complete with warnings that the disease will be "an ever-present threat." (Monday saw the second such headline in the space of the week, though the first article clarified that it will be a "manageable threat.") Herd immunity is not necessary to get back to our lives. We just need to stop people dying from this disease, which the vaccines do. This novel coronavirus may never be eradicated completely, and that's fine. Some forms of the common cold are coronaviruses that once may have wreaked havoc on our species. We adapt. We've used the incredible ingenuity of our species to change our relationship to this pathogen in record time. Human beings have engineered a scientific miracle, one we should celebrate by adapting the rules of our pandemic response as the evidence indicates.
https://www.esquire.com/news-politi...accine-israel-reduce-transmission-94-percent/
The longer we wait to adapt our standards, though, the more the credibility of public-health experts (and the press) takes on damage, just as Gottlieb suggested. I've seen it anecdotally in talking to people who generally defer to public-health recommendations, but who view the framing of these discussions as increasingly absurd. On the media side, the thirst among some news consumers for so-called "Doombait," and the willingness among outlets to supply it, does not seem to have waned as fast as the numbers of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. Dr. Anthony Fauci voiced some support for Gottlieb's position on Sunday, though he stressed he feels national case levels are still too high. (That gets at Gottlieb's other point, about adjusting rules by jurisdiction depending on local prevalence.) But then his interviewer, George Stephanopoulos, started asking Fauci about what "next Mother's Day" is going to look like. George, my man. We're headed towards a normal summer. We're all shook up from this period in our lives, but we have to ditch some of the calcified assumptions we've developed in that time. Reuters created an entire interactive PAC-MAN-style graphic around the return-to-office, in which the goal seems to be to never interact with any of your coworkers under any circumstances. Folks, we're going to be vaxxed up. You can chat with your friends at work. We need to dial back the absolutism, or many people will absolutely stop paying attention.

...continued

We are getting towards the stage where life is, once again, a choose-your-own-adventure: if you are still wary, you can continue limiting your contacts. (Many people have not had that luxury at any point in this era.) But if you are ready to get back to life, you can do so in good standing, confident that you will not get very sick and die, and increasingly confident that you cannot pass the pathogen on to others. The potential for new variants to develop and get around the vaccines is frightening, especially as COVID ravages other countries, like India, and the United States is only beginning to get doses to the rest of the world. Where COVID is spreading, it's mutating. The Biden administration has signaled its support for loosening patent protections on the vaccines on an emergency basis so other countries can mass-manufacture their own doses, though it's unclear what the timeframe is on that.

But we are getting to a place in this country where we can start to do the things that make life worth living again. We must honor those we lost, and acknowledge that we lost more than we should have, and learn from that. But it's hard to believe that anyone who died from this vicious disease would want we, the living, to delay going back to some of the best things in life longer than is necessary. We can honor them with monuments and remembrances, but we can also honor them by enjoying ourselves. Raise a glass—your free vaccination beer, maybe—with a promise to devote yourself to a life well-lived. As it stands, I intend to go to some concerts this summer. Maybe even a club. That doesn't mean you have to do the same. If being vaccinated means you are not putting others at risk, and this lack of spread means cases and hospitalizations and deaths continue to drop, it's time to choose your own path through the world, just like you did a year and a half ago.

tenor.gif

bump

Yep. Folks the story is vaccines work...the US daily average has been steadily dropping. Mirroring what we have seen in places like Israel and the UK. Within a month COVID is going to be a non issue for most of the country.
Of course those that are not willing to get vaccinated will still get sick, be hospitalized and die....but at this point...it’s widely available, and free....my empathy has now run out for them.

Yep. How much further would we have been along in vaccinations if this had been the message in January, or at least in March when they became more readily available. All this was known then.

And the damn "authorities" still won't dare say it. I like how they called outdoor transmissions "Less than 10%" when the number was really between 0.01-0.1% transmissions coming outdoors. There isn't a single documented case of casual outdoor transmission, like walking by someone. And yet we still have all kinds of outdoor mask advisories.

Anyway, those of us in a lot of areas at least are going to get back at it.

...continued

We are getting towards the stage where life is, once again, a choose-your-own-adventure: if you are still wary, you can continue limiting your contacts. (Many people have not had that luxury at any point in this era.) But if you are ready to get back to life, you can do so in good standing, confident that you will not get very sick and die, and increasingly confident that you cannot pass the pathogen on to others. The potential for new variants to develop and get around the vaccines is frightening, especially as COVID ravages other countries, like India, and the United States is only beginning to get doses to the rest of the world. Where COVID is spreading, it's mutating. The Biden administration has signaled its support for loosening patent protections on the vaccines on an emergency basis so other countries can mass-manufacture their own doses, though it's unclear what the timeframe is on that.

But we are getting to a place in this country where we can start to do the things that make life worth living again. We must honor those we lost, and acknowledge that we lost more than we should have, and learn from that. But it's hard to believe that anyone who died from this vicious disease would want we, the living, to delay going back to some of the best things in life longer than is necessary. We can honor them with monuments and remembrances, but we can also honor them by enjoying ourselves. Raise a glass—your free vaccination beer, maybe—with a promise to devote yourself to a life well-lived. As it stands, I intend to go to some concerts this summer. Maybe even a club. That doesn't mean you have to do the same. If being vaccinated means you are not putting others at risk, and this lack of spread means cases and hospitalizations and deaths continue to drop, it's time to choose your own path through the world, just like you did a year and a half ago.
My wife had her first "book group" (really just drinking/socializing) last night in over a year. There were about a dozen of them - all vaccinated - and it was outdoors. It was good to hear the hours of laughter and chatter again, even though one of them looked the gift horse (me) in the mouth and questioned one of my beverage purchases for them. Just pick a can/bottle of something else in the cooler, or bring your own shit next time.

....and if you're not vaccinated, stop being a little biotch and get vaccinated.
Belittling them isn't going to help.

For those on the fence, I would highly encourage you to get vaccinated. The protection they provide is enormous, the downside is you might feel lousy for a day. They are both safe and effective.

Look at Israel and the UK for the upside, and India for the downside.

Agreed, I've been one of those guys that has done my part in the past year and avoided restaurants, bars, and have masked everywhere indoors. I'm 2 weeks past my last vaccination shot and really want to get back to some semblance of normalcy. For God's sake, I love karaoke but am being told I still shouldn't go to crowded indoor places!!

I understand the CDC erring on the side of caution but they're not selling a lot of the vaccine hesitant people by essentially telling them, "Hey, get vaccinated and you can then go outdoors in 'small' groups of other vaccinated people and have a picnic!"

Stop using continued fear tactics like telling us, "look at what's happening in India and Brazil!" Yes, it's tragic but these things are happening mostly due to population density, lack of vaccinations, and poor government failing it's people.

Belittling them isn't going to help.

For those on the fence, I would highly encourage you to get vaccinated. The protection they provide is enormous, the downside is you might feel lousy for a day. They are both safe and effective.

Look at Israel and the UK for the upside, and India for the downside.
I agree. Same with when people would constantly say mask up. Not one person did because some self righteous person said so.

Like you I would encourage those that haven't to do so. I like that people have the choice not to even if I may think it's a dumb choice.

That’s strange. I didn’t realize that wearing a mask, social distancing and doing without some things I liked for a period of time during a world-wide emergency meant that I wasn’t living my life. It never really felt that way. What was I doing wrong? I guess I’m not very good at being a Karen.
Now see, this is what I don't get at this stage. As stated in my previous post, I've been that guy doing all of the social distancing, wearing a mask, doing without and NOT being a Karen about it. I've also been annoyed as hell at all a$$holes of the world downplaying aspects of the pandemic like calling it a hoax or going to rallies shouting how their freedom was taken away.

However, now many people like myself that did what was asked, and are still continuing to do so for the most part would love just a sliver of support to start getting back to some sense of normalcy. Calling people "Karens" for that seems pretty immature at this stage.

People, understandably, want to get back to life and shouldn't continue to be shamed, especially if they've done their part to be vaccinated.

Both the Trump and Biden administrations have done a really crappy job with messaging at almost every stage and they’ve both horribly mis-used the CDC.

The CDC has a ton of expertise on infectious disease and should absolutely play a key advisory role in how to respond during a global pandemic, but both Biden and Trump were way too willing to just throw Fauci out there and let his advice 100% dictate policy. It’s put Fauci in odd and sometimes conflicting positions and it’s been a void in leadership.

Our government needs to factor in so many things for sound policy decisions - public health and safety for sure, the economy and national security, and so many other things. CDC advice should be a major component and I totally get early in this thing when there were many more unknowns, you look almost fully to the medical folks because we want to get a handle on the risk and minimize spread. The longer this went on, the more this became a multi-factored problem.

I want the CDC giving their opinion on what public policy should be. I‘m good if they’re overly conservative. Our leaders need to take that input along with input from economic advisors and a variety of others and pull all those things together to determine public policy

Now see, this is what I don't get at this stage. As stated in my previous post, I've been that guy doing all of the social distancing, wearing a mask, doing without and NOT being a Karen about it. I've also been annoyed as hell at all a$$holes of the world downplaying aspects of the pandemic like calling it a hoax or going to rallies shouting how their freedom was taken away.

However, now many people like myself that did what was asked, and are still continuing to do so for the most part would love just a sliver of support to start getting back to some sense of normalcy. Calling people "Karens" for that seems pretty immature at this stage.

People, understandably, want to get back to life and shouldn't continue to be shamed, especially if they've done their part to be vaccinated.
Not calling people "Karen" for wanting to get back to normalcy; I certainly do. My point is that dealing with what we've had to during this pandemic did not make me feel like I wasn't living my life. Despite being a difficult year, I still have a lot of great memories and "life moments" to look back on. I feel sorry for people who feel like they have not been able to live their lives for over a year now. Life is too short to not be able to figure it out.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Not calling people "Karen" for wanting to get back to normalcy; I certainly do. My point is that dealing with what we've had to during this pandemic did not make me feel like I wasn't living my life. Despite being a difficult year, I still have a lot of great memories and "life moments" to look back on. I feel sorry for people who feel like they have not been able to live their lives for over a year now. Life is too short to not be able to figure it out.

Not sure you're taking the point from the article. Plenty of people don't feel like they've lived their life. I haven't been to a concert since March 2020. Live music is a huge part of my life, and I miss it terribly. I'm excited to go to concerts again.

Not sure you're taking the point from the article. Plenty of people don't feel like they've lived their life. I haven't been to a concert since March 2020. Live music is a huge part of my life, and I miss it terribly. I'm excited to go to concerts again.
I'm sorry that not being able to see Taylor Swift live for over a year now has made you feel like you haven't been living your life. I guess I'm in the minority in that I chose to enjoy and appreciate other things during the difficult times; even learned quite a bit about myself. Guess I should have just been bitter like most people.

People are already living their life. I was at a close to full Braves game Friday night enjoying a hot dog and a few beers and it felt like old times again. At this point, people don't care about what the official CDC guidance is, they are already living their life.

Reactions: runkpanole
I am fully vaccinated. All adults in high risk groups have had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated. There is not a shortage of supply in the vaccines. So at this point all the adults have made a decision on the risk they are willing to take. So it's time to get back to pre covid times with no mask requirement and full capacity at venues.

I agree that I've had some very positive life moments in the past year. I've been able to spend much more time with my kids and I'll always cherish that. So I'm not saying I've been completely miserable. I do, however, miss spending time with friends, going to a concerts/sporting events, going to sing Karaoke with friends, hell, even dating as a single guy, a man does have his needs you know. 🤣

Bottom line, we all want to get back to some more normal times and I'll never shame those, especially my fellow vaccinated peeps, from wanting to, or actually starting to do so.

People are already living their life. I was at a close to full Braves game Friday night enjoying a hot dog and a few beers and it felt like old times again. At this point, people don't care about what the official CDC guidance is, they are already living their life.
I plan to make a weekend trip with my oldest to Atlanta soon for a game. Last year sucked and while I found other things to do, I’m happy as hell to be back in a ballpark.

Reactions: mattymoknows
I am fully vaccinated. All adults in high risk groups have had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated. There is not a shortage of supply in the vaccines. So at this point all the adults have made a decision on the risk they are willing to take. So it's time to get back to pre covid times with no mask requirement and full capacity at venues.
Not until kids are allowed to be vaccinated, but I am largely with you.

Not until kids are allowed to be vaccinated, but I am largely with you.
Kids how young? BTW, I understand your position as I have a couple teenagers myself.

But it is my understanding kids for the most part are at a significantly low risk of being hospitalized and/or dying. The virtual school and masks and distancing at schools was for the high risk adults that may work there.

Kids how young? BTW, I understand your position as I have a couple teenagers myself.

But it is my understanding kids for the most part are at a significantly low risk of being hospitalized and/or dying. The virtual school and masks and distancing at schools was for the high risk adults that may work there.
I don't know. I have a 13 yo we are waiting to get vaccinated. I get the risks are very low for kids though. I would feel better about saying too bad so sad to the future-infected if vulnerable kids could get vaccinated, but at some point you have to get busy living.

It's funny how those opposed to masking up and taking the virus seriously were throwing the mortality rate for this around as a reason they wouldn't worry. Their confident that they could beat the odds yet here is the same people opposed to the vaccine telling us that about 10,000 cases out of 95 million, which is exponentially more remote than the mortality rate they cited, as a reason the vaccine doesn't work.

The vaccine was never supposed to stop you from getting the virus. The purpose was to minimize the effects and keep you out of the hospital or morgue.

I'm sorry that not being able to see Taylor Swift live for over a year now has made you feel like you haven't been living your life. I guess I'm in the minority in that I chose to enjoy and appreciate other things during the difficult times; even learned quite a bit about myself. Guess I should have just been bitter like most people.

Wow. If losing the ability to:
-Get together with family for the holidays
-worship in church
-go out out to bars
-socialize with friends
-go to movies
-go to sporting events
-go to concerts
-go to weddings or have weddings
-go to funerals for people that died
-look you loved ones in the face and hug them
-go on vacation and see other places

Had no affect on what you consider "living your life"....I'm sorry that says 1000x more about you than anyone else.

I'm hardly the worlds' most adventurous or sociable person, but the self-own from the "Wait, what did you actually have to give up in the pandemic?" crowd is something else.

If it didn't cost you anything in life, it's probably best to just be quiet about it. Because it cost most people many of the things that were most important to them.

"The CDC has begun to loosen its recommendations for fully vaccinated people, defined as someone who has received the full regimen of the vaccine and waited two weeks for full immunity to kick in, but it hasn't gone so far as to say people can ditch their masks indoors if they're vaccinated.

Experts believe that is the logical next step.

"We should not undersell the vaccines. They offer excellent protection," said Linsey Marr, an expert in virus transmission at Virginia Tech. "I think we can really start thinking about ending mask mandates once everyone who wants to be vaccinated has had a chance to be fully vaccinated. And that should be in another month or two."

"Once everyone has had the chance to get it, then we start to move into this personal risk decision making," Allen said. "And my feeling is that it's reasonable by July 4 or so that we'll be in a place to pull back on some of these mandates, assuming cases keep dropping as we expect them to."

William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, said vaccinated people should feel confident indoors even in congregate settings, so long as they're not immunocompromised, and be comfortable ditching their masks around children.

His suggestion?

"Vaccinated people don't have to wear masks indoors. Period. Except if you're immunocompromised. Whereas unvaccinated people, they still need to be cautious for their own good, and for the good of others," he said.

And if the CDC doesn't act soon to acknowledge those new freedoms, it could erode people's confidence in the recommendations.

"I'm worried that if we don't relax restrictions, then people say, 'What's the point of getting the vaccine?'" said Allen.

"I also think public health will have a credibility problem. When we urge people to put in controls, people put in controls, largely. If we then don't pull back controls when it's time to pull back, we lose credibility," he said."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pre...ask-requirements-vaccinated/story?id=77601842

Nah, kids are a non issue. Less than 300 under the age of 17 have died. We don’t make large scale public policy issues over that kind of number.

I 100% agree with your statement but disagree with the conclusions. From a safety standpoint vaccines aren't going to save many kids' lives. We have to continue to advocate vaccinating kids because they will be a source for reinfection if our immunity drops over time as well as a place new variants can spring from. If you want to end this you have to vaccinate kids. If you want to convert this into something like the annual flu then don't vaccinate kids.

-Get together with family for the holidays
-worship in church
-go out out to bars
-socialize with friends
-go to movies
-go to sporting events
-go to concerts
-go to weddings or have weddings
-go to funerals for people that died
-look you loved ones in the face and hug them
-go on vacation and see other places

Had no affect on what you consider "living your life"....I'm sorry that says 1000x more about you than anyone else.

I'm hardly the worlds' most adventurous or sociable person, but the self-own from the "Wait, what did you actually have to give up in the pandemic?" crowd is something else.

If it didn't cost you anything in life, it's probably best to just be quiet about it. Because it cost most people many of the things that were most important to them.
Of course I had to give up those things and more. Doesn’t mean I stopped living. I’m sorry that it bothers you that I’ve taken this all in stride better than most people. I guess next pandemic I’ll spend the entire time pissed off and dwelling on all the stuff I’m missing out on because life is so unfair.

Of course I had to give up those things and more. Doesn’t mean I stopped living. I’m sorry that it bothers you that I’ve taken this all in stride better than most people. I guess next pandemic I’ll spend the entire time pissed off and dwelling on all the stuff I’m missing out on because life is so unfair.

You probably didn't lose as much as others did. Or, have less going on in your life. I'm glad it didn't bother you, but many others lost significant life experiences that they'll never get back.

-Get together with family for the holidays Did this
-worship in church Never go to church
-go out out to bars Did this (outdoors)
-socialize with friends Did this
-go to movies Had movie “premiere” nights at home
-go to sporting events went to local, outdoor events
-go to concerts viewed a few online, saw some small local stuff
-go to weddings or have weddings didn’t miss any
-go to funerals for people that died didn’t miss any
-look you loved ones in the face and hug them did this
-go on vacation and see other places did this, quite a bit actually.
Could start a list of life “improvements” as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
I 100% agree with your statement but disagree with the conclusions. From a safety standpoint vaccines aren't going to save many kids' lives. We have to continue to advocate vaccinating kids because they will be a source for reinfection if our immunity drops over time as well as a place new variants can spring from. If you want to end this you have to vaccinate kids. If you want to convert this into something like the annual flu then don't vaccinate kids.

I didn't say we shouldn't vaccinate kids. I said we don't need to wait to open things up until kids have been vaccinated. Because I have news for you - no way even half of our kids will ever get the vaccine. It just isn't going to happen.

You probably didn't lose as much as others did. Or, have less going on in your life. I'm glad it didn't bother you, but many others lost significant life experiences that they'll never get back.
Lost out on plenty. My mother and my father-in-law both had half-ass funerals after submitting to COVID. Got a college and a H.S. graduate this month that will both have less than ideal grad ceremonies and parties. The sports and activities my high schoolers had to miss out on this past year was horrible. But I guess my family and I have had a great attitude about the whole thing. I know it's more fun to read about how miserable people are; I'm sorry I'm not providing that.

Being excited to get back to doing things I love and haven't been able to doesn't mean I'm bitter. I generally had a great year, but that doesn't mean I can't miss things that were important to me.

Are you looking for recognition as a more evolved human being? Here it is. You're awesome. Way to be, dude.

Could start a list of life “improvements” as well.

Yep, go with that. The pandemic improved our lives as much as what it took away.

Again, if the pandemic improved your life, I will have sympathy for you, but I'm not going to listen to anything you have to say about when we should get back to normal.

Yep, go with that. The pandemic improved our lives as much as what it took away.

Again, if the pandemic improved your life, I will have sympathy for you, but I'm not going to listen to anything you have to say about when we should get back to normal.
Stop being a bitch and making assumptions.

I didn’t “go with that,” just stating that there have been some positives and some negatives...for me...personally (not everyone experiences the same negatives). That’s the way I live my life. I’m not overly dramatic, or glass half empty. Life is constantly changing, nothing is ever static.

I’m also not promoting prolonging a move back to “normal,” just the opposite actually. I’m not asking you to listen to anything I say, so you can save your fake sympathy for someone who gives AF. I’m not in need of any. I don’t sit around feeling sorry for myself, or the situation(s) I find myself in...self-induced or otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: MeetTheFerentz
Being excited to get back to doing things I love and haven't been able to doesn't mean I'm bitter. I generally had a great year, but that doesn't mean I can't miss things that were important to me.

Are you looking for recognition as a more evolved human being? Here it is. You're awesome. Way to be, dude.

No *hit. I'd give my left arm just to attend a full Kinnick Stadium.

Reactions: mattymoknows
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT