ADVERTISEMENT

Ignore the critics – Kevin Costner’s three-hour western is a must-watch

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007
Good news! Remember the film everyone keeps begging Hollywood to make? The one that returns to old-fashioned values of layered storytelling and real-world spectacle? Created by a seasoned, impassioned artist rather than a soulless business model?

That goes out of its way to cater to the older audiences typically not that well-served outside of awards season? And in which voguish political agendas are nowhere to be found? That film? Well, someone has finally made it. And the industry is convinced it’s going to flop.

Horizon’s ambling pace and classical perspective were both sticking points at Cannes – especially when an Apache raid on Frances’s township is portrayed as a straightforwardly savage attack, without any of the anti-colonial karmic rib-prodding you might expect in 2024. The film’s Native American characters are written and played with as much depth as its white ones, but its lack of overt moral signposting here did feel like an intentional bucking by Costner and his co-writer Jon Baird of current Hollywood mores.

These sorts of choices should intrigue us. But for a younger generation of critics and cinema-goers, who are used to having films’ messages spelled out for them, and drawn from an approved list, they can be reason enough to write them off.

Full article:

From the reviews it sounds like Wyatt Earp. Their criticism is the story is overly long and not well told. Focuses more on character development at the cost of storytelling. Costner has had issues with this in the past Waterworld, Wyatt Earp, The Post Men.

Reactions: noleclone2
From the reviews it sounds like Wyatt Earp. Their criticism is the story is overly long and not well told. Focuses more on character development at the cost of storytelling. Costner has had issues with this in the past Waterworld, Wyatt Earp, The Post Men.

The Postman and Waterworld were both good movies. Never understood the hate.

People always talk shit about Waterworld.

The Postman and Waterworld were both good movies. Never understood the hate.
Think it was due to overexposure. Marketing campaigns promising one thing and not being another Dances With Wolves .
I’m not a fan of WaterWorld felt too much like a poor George Miller movie on water skies. Post Men was decent. I get why people didn’t care for it though.
A lot of it is folks like to hate on things as well. Cool to bash something. I’m sure some artsy folks hated Robin Hood was a hit so much. That they couldn’t wait to bash his work.

Reactions: noleclone2
My favorite part of Waterworld:

criminal minds film GIF by Arrow Video

costner i have to say has been superb in all the flicks i've seen him in. even in potboilers like 3 days to kill the guy kicks ass. oddly never gets mentioned in the same breath as cruise, caprio, and hanks.

Kind of amusing they portray Costner as being the anti-woke saviour when Dances With Wolves was one of if not the most anti-colonial, "moral signpost" Westerns of all-time.

This movie sounds solid, but reviews say it lacks in grandeur and is generally too slow-paced. I will definitely check it out though.

Think it was due to overexposure. Marketing campaigns promising one thing and not being another Dances With Wolves .
I’m not a fan of WaterWorld felt too much like a poor George Miller movie on water skies. Post Men was decent. I get why people didn’t care for it though.
A lot of it is folks like to hate on things as well. Cool to bash something. I’m sure some artsy folks hated Robin Hood was a hit so much. That they couldn’t wait to bash his work.

The Postman was 33% too long and had really shallow character development for so many minutes of story.

costner i have to say has been superb in all the flicks i've seen him in. even in potboilers like 3 days to kill the guy kicks ass. oddly never gets mentioned in the same breath as cruise, caprio, and hanks.

He's one of my favorite actors. He only falters as an actor when he has to be emotional, IMO. He's never been able to sell that very well.

Reactions: desihawk
First review on RT is shocking I tell you.

Retroactively treating the frontier as the direction in which we were always headed is a slick way to absolve individual settlers of making the decision – then and now – to benefit from genocide.

Ok great. But how was the movie?
RT is only good for audience scores. The Critics are clowns.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
First review on RT is shocking I tell you.

Retroactively treating the frontier as the direction in which we were always headed is a slick way to absolve individual settlers of making the decision – then and now – to benefit from genocide.

Ok great. But how was the movie?
It's such a dumb argument, too, as when in the course of human events have newcomers EVER not expanded as far as their numbers and military power allowed?

I'm anti-genocide and think the way Europeans treated Native Americans was apalling - but it was also BAU for the era. Who had the most advanced weaponery and political cooperation was able to displace and replace those without them.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
It's such a dumb argument, too, as when in the course of human events have newcomers EVER not expanded as far as their numbers and military power allowed?

I'm anti-genocide and think the way Europeans treated Native Americans was apalling - but it was also BAU for the era. Who had the most advanced weaponery and political cooperation was able to displace and replace those without them.
What’s appalling is how Native American were treated after being subjugated. Boarding schools still being operated well into the 1970s/80s was shameful.

Reactions: torbee
Bull Durham is one of my all time favorites. He was damn perfect in that movie.
I can't watch it anymore. Americana overload. The Costner "cock and balls" speech hurts. Also I would be super pumped to hold the minor league home run record. Avoid a real job for two decades

• Haha
Reactions: tumorboy
Sears sucks Crash
Susan Sarandon's narration and Top Gun: Maverick inspired me to write the first 30 seconds of a summer blockbuster:

*Drone shot pans over coastal town with Marine Corps base*
Narrator (Zendaya?): "There is no such thing as an ex Marine. Marine exes... they grow on trees around here..."

Susan Sarandon's narration and Top Gun: Maverick inspired me to write the first 30 seconds of a summer blockbuster:

*Drone shot pans over coastal town with Marine Corps base*
Narrator (Zendaya?): "There is no such thing as an ex Marine. Marine exes... they grow on trees around here..."
The movie is essentially a modern day Western an old broken down gunslinger brought in to train a new young gun.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
The movie is essentially a modern day Western an old broken down gunslinger brought in to train a new young gun.
There's an interesting take on Bull Durham. May have to reevaluate again. Last reevaluation resulted in me considering it a chick flick after thinking of it as a baseball movie for about twenty years.

There's an interesting take on Bull Durham. May have to reevaluate again. Last reevaluation resulted in me considering it a chick flick after thinking of it as a baseball movie for about twenty years.
The setting and the near flawless execution of the minor league experience is what fools you into believing it’s merely a baseball movie.
Look at Crash at this point of his career. He’s merely a roster filler the roams from organization to organization. And the organization has a problem a talented but immature asset. He’s being charged with saving the asset.

The setting and the near flawless execution of the minor league experience is what fools you into believing it’s merely a baseball movie.

That's a good point. And the on screen baseball is believably baseball and not obviously actors holding prop baseball equipment.

His highs were just as high, he's just been in so many bad movies. I'd argue he's made one or two good movies in the last 25 years.

I haven't seen Horizon, but he's like the king of the overly long movie too. So many of his movies are just way, way too long.

Reactions: desihawk
I plan to see it. I saw something from someone who know of or as seen the 2nd part coming later this summer and said that once you see that some of the questions/holes are filled in. Films like Robin Hood, Postman, Waterworld were average to pretty corny at times, but I did actually mostly like The Postman and even Robin Hood was fun. Waterworld... meh. My Costner favs are Bull Durham, No Way Out, Dances with Wolves, The Untouchables and Field of Dreams.

I will be seeing all 4 of these movies. As for the slow moving issue, it's 4 movies. It's not going to be fast paced. There is time to flesh out the story.

I wonder if these movies would have been better served to be released as an HBO series. Imagine a season of GOT being released in 4 long movies, people would have complained about the slow pace.

I have been wanting another epic western. This series will be the crowning achievement for a guy who has done a lot in that genre. I am in for all 4 Horizons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT