ADVERTISEMENT

ihmir smith-marsette committed..

sb33miz

Team MVP
Dec 20, 2016
..to the gophers. Shows this staff is completely lost in recruiting to lose out to a first year head coach and dumpster program that is minnesota right now. Not to mention Minnesota came into the picture last week. This staff has some major work that needs to be done.

Next year will be a repeat of this year, probably worse, with the lack of skill we have and were able to bring in at WR.

..to the gophers. Shows this staff is completely lost in recruiting to lose out to a first year head coach and dumpster program that is minnesota right now. Not to mention Minnesota came into the picture last week. This staff has some major work that needs to be done.

Next year will be a repeat of this year, probably worse, with the lack of skill we have and were able to bring in at WR.

been a shitty 3-4 months in the recruiting game for sure. They went from absolutely killing it to a complete dumpster fire in no time flat.

Recruiting has a lot to do with momentum, and the reason everyone was concerned with the Eno situation, was because they could see it leading us down this path, and it would be a greater impact than a single player.

That situation definitely should have been handled better. But it's neither here or there now.

Reactions: rondy
been a shitty 3-4 months in the recruiting game for sure. They went from absolutely killing it to a complete dumpster fire in no time flat.

Recruiting has a lot to do with momentum, and the reason everyone was concerned with the Eno situation, was because they could see it leading us down this path, and it would be a greater impact than a single player.

That situation definitely should have been handled better. But it's neither here or there now.
"Sh***y" is putting it mildly.

Gonna have to prove we throw the ball downfield. Nobody believes it anymore. GD did more harm than we can imagine as far as WR recruiting goes. Unfortunately KF let it go on far too long as we reap the fallout. Tough to take, sun still up.

Don't forget to add that we have a depth chart at wr that screams playing time and only have 5 scholarship wr's in the program. Not hard to recruit against Iowa at this position as KF has managed to get 1 guy drafted in his tenure.

Reactions: rondy
I forgot to add, it's been such an up and down year, now watch Martin announce for Iowa and everyone sing the coaches praises...
Pfff, they will not get a pat on the back from me for landing a recruit that LIVES in Iowa City. Martin should have been locked up long ago. Which is how I feel about Wirfs and AJE. No pats on the back from me for those guys either. Time for this staff to win some big time recruiting battles against big time competition when it doesn't come to instate guys or legacies. Not too much to expect/ask for if we want to win real trophies.

Big City Metro HS kid who wants to play in the Big Ten in a big city metro area that bought the hype of a young new coach.

Best of luck Ihmir, hope to see you in Kinnick next year.

This was no indictment on Iowa or Iowa's recruiting class. Calm down will yah, back off the panic button!

Big City Metro HS kid who wants to play in the Big Ten in a big city metro area that bought the hype of a young new coach.

This was no indictment on Iowa or Iowa's recruiting class. Calm down will yah, back off the panic button!
Are ya frickin kidding, that is exactly what it is!!

I forgot to add, it's been such an up and down year, now watch Martin announce for Iowa and everyone sing the coaches praises...
If he does great... but if he went somewhere else like a Mich or ND, could you really blame him? I certainly wouldnt

The only dumpster fire I see here is this thread and some of the stupid comments I'm reading! Iowa will always be a run first type of team therefor it will always be difficult to land the type of WR you all think we should have! even with a poor passing game last year we had 2 1000 yard rusher ......if. I were a top shelf WR I would look somewhere else!

Agreed, from a very fast start to somewhere between above average to slightly below average....but definitely not a dumpster fire.

Not aimed at you IAHwkguy, but people here just need to calm down. See how the class finishes up, then go have a panic attach, or punch your fist through the wall, where ever your emotions take you. Iowa football will still be here when you through with your hissy fits.

Agreed, from a very fast start to somewhere between above average to slightly below average....but definitely not a dumpster fire.

Not aimed at you IAHwkguy, but people here just need to calm down. See how the class finishes up, then go have a panic attach, or punch your fist through the wall, where ever your emotions take you. Iowa football will still be here when you through with your hissy fits.

I hear you. I actually like the class we have, definitely had a chance to be epic by Iowa standards, but it's solid. I just meant the results during that timeframe have been a dumpster fire.

Heck, UAB has out recruited us during that timeframe

Reactions: BCRoss89
The only dumpster fire I see here is this thread and some of the stupid comments I'm reading! Iowa will always be a run first type of team therefor it will always be difficult to land the type of WR you all think we should have! even with a poor passing game last year we had 2 1000 yard rusher ......if. I were a top shelf WR I would look somewhere else!

The problem with your statement is that we don't ever get top line receivers, rarely get talented receivers and settle for projects and guys that get limited to no p5 offers. That is absolutely indicative of a coaching staff that is lazy and awful at recruiting. And it's not a new problem. This has been the case for KF's entire tenure. It's pathetic.

The problem with your statement is that we don't ever get top line receivers, rarely get talented receivers and settle for projects and guys that get limited to no p5 offers. That is absolutely indicative of a coaching staff that is lazy and awful at recruiting. And it's not a new problem. This has been the case for KF's entire tenure. It's pathetic.
How is the staff lazy at recruiting? Do they just sit around hoping to land someone? Do they just send out letters, texts, emails, tweets etc. without visiting or watching film? Please elaborate on lazy.

It's an indictment on how poor Kirk and co are as recruiters. They are lost as to how recruiting is done in this decade. They're still recruiting like its 1987....doesn't work that way. Not to mention the jury is still out whether we made an upgrade at OC. Kirk had a chNce to get a boost of enthusiasm into this program by hiring an outside OC...but decided to keep it all in the family. I think this move tells recruits that not much is going to change.

Reactions: JDG
How is the staff lazy at recruiting? Do they just sit around hoping to land someone? Do they just send out letters, texts, emails, tweets etc. without visiting or watching film? Please elaborate on lazy.

We make some assumptions based off of what recruits have said this year. They are disorganized judging from the Eno stories. Calloway said that he would get calls from other coordinators and head coaches that were recruiting him and at Iowa he couldn't get a call back. When Iowa went out to find the new Director of Recruiting the best person for the job happened to be KF's son-in-law.

A few years ago we closed out the class with a Air Force recruit Reid Selby who came on Iowa's radar because Mitch Kreppy said he was a good wrestler. This year we land another Air Force recruit that is the son of a former player. Seems like the path of least resistance.

On top of that I guess you just look at the results. When Iowa has a top in state player that receives major interest they have trouble closing the deal.

Reactions: Faithfull
Pfff, they will not get a pat on the back from me for landing a recruit that LIVES in Iowa City. Martin should have been locked up long ago. Which is how I feel about Wirfs and AJE. No pats on the back from me for those guys either. Time for this staff to win some big time recruiting battles against big time competition when it doesn't come to instate guys or legacies. Not too much to expect/ask for if we want to win real trophies.
Interesting. So what trophies in the case at the new facility are not real trophys? Funny how the coaches get no credit for landing instate players or legacy players, like their forced to go to Iowa.
Its pretty easy to sit on your computer and give your opinion on the job someone else does, when you obviously have no expertise in that field. It would be nice if we could all come to your place of business and give our thoughts on how you do your job, Mr. perfect. Pfffff.........

Reactions: Ree4
It's an indictment on how poor Kirk and co are as recruiters. They are lost as to how recruiting is done in this decade. They're still recruiting like its 1987....doesn't work that way. Not to mention the jury is still out whether we made an upgrade at OC. Kirk had a chNce to get a boost of enthusiasm into this program by hiring an outside OC...but decided to keep it all in the family. I think this move tells recruits that not much is going to change.
I get it...you are a Kirk hater...duly noted. Everyone thought he was the greatest guy in the world after 12-2 and a fast start in June (but I'm guessing not you). Then the Eno disaster (ends up at Arizona State, 2-7 last year, fired their OC lst year), and the other two that followed (also landing at lesser programs I believe), But, recognizing the drop in pass offense production in 2016 and the dwindling stock of WRs, Kirk drops Davis and Kennedy (the later partially for the Eno debacle), promotes Brian to Davis's job and people here put the bum rush on him to pick a WR coach and QB coach to "save" this years recruiting class, and now it is looking more like the class will be slightly above average to slightly below average in total with at least 2 truly outstanding members and a whole bunch of other solid 3 Star kids a tick or 2 under 4 Star( 5.7, 5.6), with very good potential. All things considered, in the middle of an offensive transition, I think they've done a decent job so far and still have a chance to finish strong.

I get your disappointed and that you are a Kirk hater. Got it!

Last edited:

Ineffective was term. I cannot elaborate whether or not lazy. Just a hunch based on info collected over 20 years.

Really wanted PJ Fleck to take the reigns at Iowa. Minny is going to be good very soon.

Iowa still needs another WR!! Who's even still left!? Let me answer my own question, MARTIN!
Martin will end up at UM, ND or OSU (someplace that puts WRs into the NFL). If I am Iowa I let Beyers trim down and put him at Slot, let whomever is the fastest on the team run simple routes just to try and stretch the field or our QB next year will be worse off than CJ as teams will STACK the box to stop our run.

Martin will end up at UM, ND or OSU (someplace that puts WRs into the NFL). If I am Iowa I let Beyers trim down and put him at Slot, let whomever is the fastest on the team run simple routes just to try and stretch the field or our QB next year will be worse off than CJ as teams will STACK the box to stop our run.

What else did Martin tell you when you talked to him?

Ineffective was term. I cannot elaborate whether or not lazy. Just a hunch based on info collected over 20 years.
Ineffective is a "bottom line" term, that generally implies they did not do everything possible or necessary to get the desired result; this gives the commentator a way of conveniently looking past all the potential mitigating circumstances claiming the high-ground of bottom line results while sparing them the details and discounting all explanations as excuses.

Rest assured, when Kirk and Brian have their "new look" Offensive coaching staff and new recruiting staff put together, like every year, they will look at ways to improve everything they do, and look twice at all that was lacking. Recruiting will be at he top of the docket (like most years I suspect) .

Ineffective is a "bottom line" term, that generally implies they did not do everything possible or necessary to get the desired result; this gives the commentator a way of conveniently looking past all the potential mitigating circumstances claiming the high-ground of bottom line results while sparing them the details and discounting all explanations as excuses.

Rest assured, when Kirk and Brian have their "new look" Offensive coaching staff and new recruiting staff put together, like every year, they will look at ways to improve everything they do, and look twice at all that was lacking. Recruiting will be at he top of the docket (like most years I suspect) .
THey will identify 2 areas:

1. Ebbs
2. Flows

They are .... to the West.

THey will identify 2 areas:

1. Ebbs
2. Flows
RIght, "A "for effort is not good enough; Doing things the same way and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.; But change for the sake of change alone is no good either; And by all means don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water...(trying to get all my cliches out and ready to go)

ADVERTISEMENT