ADVERTISEMENT

IIRC, we choose the ball in the 3rd qtr and the Flecster gave us the wind by taking the other direction!! stupid

uihawk82

HB All-American
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2021
According the the radio guys the wind was a decent amount, 15+ mph, so with Iowa choosing first to receive then Fleck had the decision of which endzone to defend.

I am surprised he kicked and played into the wind. The old saying was in this case take the wind, make your opponent go into the wind, and then you can smother them get good field position and use the wind to score and extend your lead. You want to extend your lead and make Kirk throw the ball to catch up. But thanks PJ

Never give a team the ball first and the wind. Kirk learned this the hard way against Purdue less than 10 years ago.

And by the way did you notice the shot on NBC when the minny qb thru the 1st qtr pick to Higgins, the setting sun was in Brosman's eyes which means WHO BUILDS A FOOTBALL FIELD THAT RUNS EAST AND WEST , IS THAT EVEN A THING???

Good thing we took advantage of that wind with a total of 62 yards passing. PJ looks stupid for letting us throw the ball all over the field.

According the the radio guys the wind was a decent amount, 15+ mph, so with Iowa choosing first to receive then Fleck had the decision of which endzone to defend.

I am surprised he kicked and played into the wind. The old saying was in this case take the wind, make your opponent go into the wind, and then you can smother them get good field position and use the wind to score and extend your lead. You want to extend your lead and make Kirk throw the ball to catch up. But thanks PJ

Never give a team the ball first and the wind. Kirk learned this the hard way against Purdue less than 10 years ago.

And by the way did you notice the shot on NBC when the minny qb thru the 1st qtr pick to Higgins, the setting sun was in Brosman's eyes which means WHO BUILDS A FOOTBALL FIELD THAT RUNS EAST AND WEST , IS THAT EVEN A THING???
Hot damn I didn't realize they actually screwed that part up. The age old idiom is run north/south and stop dancing east/west. These buffoons managed to ignore that as well. They deserve pajamas fleck and his "me first" attitude.

Reactions: uihawk82
I guess I'm the opposite of you all. I want the wind in the 4th quarter for my kicker/ punter as well as for passing if needed. I want to end the game with the best conditions.
Some coaches want that but my point is giving the wind to the team first getting the ball to either start the game or start the third qtr. Now with Iowa's passing game one might think it not a big deal but Minny's safeties were playing pretty deep in that third qtr just with the threat of a pass. When there is a decent wind in this case and I was Fleck I would take the wind in the 3rd qtr, kick and plan to hold Iowa and then get the ball in good field position to increase my lead.

Kirk did this about 6 years ago against Purdue at Kinnick. Very cold and a brisk north wind. Purdue chose to receive the 2nd half kickoff behind by 3 or 4 points. Kirk decided to kick into the wind and I was saying in the stands that was a bad move. I even said Purdue was going to pick on our backup cornerback. that happend, Purdue came out and used the wind for 2 long TD scores and a FG with the wind because the hawks couldnt move the ball into the wind. The hawks ended up with the wind in the 4th qtr but behind by 16 points and lost.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
You're way overreacting. Either way, you spend two quarters going into the wind, and two quarters going with the wind. Anecdotes of games of yore doesn't change that fact.

You're way overreacting. Either way, you spend two quarters going into the wind, and two quarters going with the wind. Anecdotes of games of yore doesn't change that fact.
True. It's just like the sun always sets in the west, I guess. Maybe Minnesota built an East-West stadium because the sun so seldom shines way up there. Or maybe that's how you set up for ice fishing.

True. It's just like the sun always sets in the west, I guess. Maybe Minnesota built an East-West stadium because the sun so seldom shines way up there. Or maybe that's how you set up for ice fishing.
It is unusual, most all stadiums are N-S. I think they chose that way for the visual of the skyline out of the open end.

For yucks I dug a little. There are a few E-W college stadiums

Georgia
Kentucky
Oklahoma St
East Carolina

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawks10
I thought Kirk screwed it up in the Isu game. They took the ball, but Kirk didn't take the wind in the 4th.
Then there was the Illinois game several years ago where Kirk took the wind when it was Iowa’s choice, and they kicked off to start both halves.

You are not taking into account who is receiving the ball first.

How many times have you seen, and I have seen many, where a team is receiving the opening kickoff, the kicking team has a good wind behind them, the receiving team cant move the ball and their punt is fair caught just across the 50.

That is about 25 yards gain in field position by the change of possession. Now the team with the wind has the short field. If they can score within a few minutes they are ahead 3 or 7 to zero after only 5 minutes.

They kickoff again and rinse and repeat one or two more times. Now they might be ahead by 10, 14 or even 3 scores by the end of the first qtr. Start the 2nd qtr and now the team that got the opening kickoff is playing big time catchup.

It also depends who is getting the ball first.

Most teams want the ball in the 4th quarter, so they can throw if behind, or have their opponent throw into it. Plus, advantage on FG's.

Reactions: iahawks10
You saw how crappy Iowa's offense played in the 1st half, You are trusting Your defense to hold against a questionable Iowa Offense and have the wind in the 4th Quarter , You take the wind in the 4th especially up 7 at Home , The problem was not Flecks choice but the Goof's defense in the 3rd Quarter . inability to stop a 1 dimensional Iowa offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT