ADVERTISEMENT

Ike Boettger

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
Great article on him. I think he will be a great one just might have some growing pains next year. Sounds like he is up to 290.

Ike Boettger

Good read. Great to hear how scherff took on the role as a mentor to him. I remember a friend who coaches HS ball telling me he thought Ike would be a better tackle then pierschbacher who is more suited for guard and had better foot work than him.

Yeah I know many are really concerned about OL next year (there is no replacing Scherff) but the Ike types are pretty common for Ferentz. Guess we'll see but I'm not really that concerned!

Really I saw scherff get schooled against ISU,Maryland,Minnesota,Tennessee not impossible to replace
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Agreed Ferentz loves the agile, athletic kids like Ike. Another kid with the same tools is Lucas LeGrand who practiced at left tackle behind Brandon and Ike all year. I believe hes up to around 285 lbs.

Originally posted by mick82:
Really I saw scherff get schooled against ISU,Maryland,Minnesota,Tennessee not impossible to replace

Yes, this was cited by the Outland Trophy Committee when announcing its award.

YUPPERS Scherff has to be the worst OL to earn the Outland Trophy ever, go away troll.

a 290 lbs Boettger is better than a 265 lb Boettger, I told people to wit till the spring roster was released before going all freak e zoid on the weights of the OL.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

YUPPERS Scherff has to be the worst OL to earn the Outland Trophy ever, go away troll.

a 290 lbs Boettger is better than a 265 lb Boettger, I told people to wit till the spring roster was released before going all freak e zoid on the weights of the OL.
Don't get your panties in a bunch. The original inference was Scherff is going to be impossible to replace.....which I don't agree with either. The same could have been said about Gallery. And Bulaga. And Reiff. And now Scherff. Saying that Scherff was not perfect (which is actually obvious) and replaceable is by NO MEANS a slam on the kid. The fact is that tackle is very rarely a problem for IA.

Like I stated in the OP I do believe Boettger will be a very good OT for Iowa. That doesn't mean I'm still not concerned about the OL this year. We struggled on the interior of the OL this year and to say we were anything but average there would be a pretty good reach. We relied very heavily on an Outland trophy winner and a 5th year SR with a lot of experience. It's never easy to replace two OT's let alone with two guys that have very very little experience playing the OT position. Though both Boettger and Croston will be closer to 300lbs by next fall neither will be playing yet at their ideal weight or strength and both will be lacking in experience. I don't see the interior improving in a giant leap from this last season. Couple all this with the fact RB is very much a who knows and our run game could be very much inconsistent.

Also would like to add that when Iowa typically replaces a LT they replace them with someone who was either starting at OG the year before or with somebody that has starting experience on the OL. We won't have that this upcoming season at either OT position. I get why a lot say they are not concerned with the OL next year but in the KF era we have not had to replace two OT's with guys with no starting experience. Also we have not seen this poor of OL recruiting over the past 4 seasosns in the last 10-15 seasons.

This post was edited on 1/23 4:02 PM by Auger

if Welsh starts at RG that will make him a 2 year starter that 1st year starter Boettger will be playing along side

on the Other side
4* Walsh will be starting his 3rd year at RG at center will be 4* Blythe a former FR AA and the starting center the last 2 years and was on the Rimington Award watch list for the best center in D1

defense exploited a RSFR and he played between Blythe and Scherff no matter how good Scherff was he cannot cover to spots.

in the end it is easier to replace OT than it is the interior OL. big agile and mobile OT are needed but they are also easier to develop

Van Sloten did not start till he was a RSJR and he turned out just fine, Scherff started when he was a RSSO. even Donnal stepped in as a starter at RG as a RSSO when Blythe got hurt INJURIES hit the OL again this is why a Rimington Award Watch list center had to move to LG and a little used backup walk on Center ended the season as the starter at center,

I am not ready to write 4* Army AA Ward off as so many on here are, as he will be just a RSJR this fall.

sorry but he was behind Donall at RT and Scherff at LT and behind TE 4* Hamilton, Duzey, HKC, those are/were some very good players to play behind as a RSSO,

Would I be considered a terrible person if I said it'd be funny to see Ike get playing time as a sophomore and end up in the NFL, and see Ross P. not even see the field? I always cheer for Iowa boys no matter where they go, but I'm still bitter about Ross's flip to Alabama.

if Welsh starts at RG that will make him a 2 year starter that 1st year starter Boettger will be playing along side

on the Other side
4* Walsh will be starting his 3rd year at RG at center will be 4* Blythe a former FR AA and the starting center the last 2 years and was on the Rimington Award watch list for the best center in D1

defense exploited a RSFR and he played between Blythe and Scherff no matter how good Scherff was he cannot cover to spots.

in the end it is easier to replace OT than it is the interior OL. big agile and mobile OT are needed but they are also easier to develop

Van Sloten did not start till he was a RSJR and he turned out just fine, Scherff started when he was a RSSO. even Donnal stepped in as a starter at RG as a RSSO when Blythe got hurt INJURIES hit the OL again this is why a Rimington Award Watch list center had to move to LG and a little used backup walk on Center ended the season as the starter at center,

I am not ready to write 4* Army AA Ward off as so many on here are, as he will be just a RSJR this fall.

sorry but he was behind Donall at RT and Scherff at LT and behind TE 4* Hamilton, Duzey, HKC, those are/were some very good players to play behind as a RSSO,
There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin. First the interior is not harder to replace then OT's at all. Do you even know what the responsibilities of the OT's are? This is one of the dumber things you have said. Big mobile OT'S are not easier to develop.

Also just because Welsh will be in year 2 doesn't mean he will be miles better. He was forced to start this last year because of piss poor recruiting/development . He proved to be over matched in big ten play.

Pretty sure once you are in college your star rating doesn't matter not sure why you post stars for guys that have been here for as long as Walsh and Blythe have. Blythe is solid and is sturdy at C. Walsh is up and down and really struggles against Power 5 competition.

I have hope for Ward too but it says something when he is not even on the two deeps.

having a year under you belt in BT player only makes a player better, personnally I expected Welsh to backup center. not every player developes as fast as another player and for the love of god stop posting as if that list was written in stone, it wasn't and will change several times before the 1st game 2 deeps will be announced,

this is a very serious question are you that stupid to think it is written in stone?

Never said it was written in stone. Are you that stupid to always assume things? Just stated by the end of 2014 - 15 season Ward still isn't on the two deep even after you remove the SR's. Says something about his development.

Just because a player has a year under his belt doesn't mean he will be much better the next year. Look at Walsh he is entering his SR season and he has struggled all the way through his JR year with Powet 5 teams.

You're just one of those guys blind to anything that is below avg to avg. You always look at everything as the cup is full. Sadly with those eyes you never reach your full potential and mediocre is always a fine expectation in life. Why see things for what they truly are, it's to much work and hard thought for people like you.

I would like to propose that Auger and 2222 meet some place, put on the gloves and have it out. There ongoing feud is getting annoying. 2222 says it's black, auger says it's white. Enough already.

Have the two of you ever agreed on anything?

I think Ike has a chance to be pretty special. Is a little longer and naturally bigger than Scherff, I think Ike will be really good in the pass blocking game with his reach. Will struggle some with run blocking until he adds more strength.

That is the area that Scherff struggled some is with quick DE and getting enough reach on them. He was probably the best run blocker I have seen in a while though.

Sounds like Boettger is slated to be the Right Tackle? With Croston on the Left? Accordingly to the new depth charts anyway. I would have guessed they would have put the more athletic one on the left to protect the blind side

hawkquiz, I believe Boone Myers is actually listed as the starting LT on the latest depth chart.

not sure how read that depth chart as it really does not state where they are playing, was surprised to see Render listed as a OT was expecting to see at a OG position

not sure how read that depth chart as it really does not state where they are playing, was surprised to see Render listed as a OT was expecting to see at a OG position
Don't think they actually have many actual OT prospects on the roster. Somebody has to be listed. Recruiting at the OT position has been quite bad recently. They whiffed on many of their targets recently.

2222, the official depth chart that KF released on January 8th lists Myers ahead of Croston at LT and Ike ahead of Render at RT. I'm not sure how you are not sure how to read that depth chart.

Originally posted by nu2u:
Originally posted by mick82:

Yes, this was cited by the Outland Trophy Committee when announcing its award.
Which shows how stupid the entired award process is. No way in hell was Scherff the best lineman in the country this year.

Iowa's OL is going to be HORRIBLE next season.

Originally posted by Pitcher24:
Would I be considered a terrible person if I said it'd be funny to see Ike get playing time as a sophomore and end up in the NFL, and see Ross P. not even see the field? I always cheer for Iowa boys no matter where they go, but I'm still bitter about Ross's flip to Alabama.
That just makes you a gigantic moron.

Anyone that would choose Iowa over Alabama at this point is a certifiable retard.

James Daniels the center out of Ohio just did and he just enrolled this month, so I guess that makes him a MORON. or maybe that makes Milburn stone the moron on this board

Did chuckle about the kid having to rough it with his 03 Lexus in high school.

Got to upgrade now tho since he is making a lot (wait a minute...) more money in college.

I'm 40 and still drive crappier cars than that. That is, mostly by choice however.

Originally posted by hansenhawk:

Got to upgrade now tho since he is making a lot (wait a minute...) more money in college.

I'm 40 and still drive crappier cars than that. That is, mostly by choice however.
Or, you know, his family is rich.

Originally posted by Cougar63:

Originally posted by hansenhawk:

Or, you know, his family is rich.
They aren't.

Yeah, u can actually get luxury cars pretty cheap used.

Probably because the maintenance on them becomes a 10 million dollar investment.

Originally posted by hawkguy77:

Originally posted by TankHawk:
I think Ike's mom could become the next Vandenburg's mom.
She might even be hotter.
She doesn't even compare to Vandy's mom, not even close. Totally different league.

Worst.Post.Ever!!!!!!!!

3dgrin.r191677.gif

The reason I asked is that Goebel is transfering thought they might want to play somewhere else.. Thanks...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT