ADVERTISEMENT

IKM

Hawkeyeinsoutherncalifornia

HR All-American
Mar 9, 2017
Van Nuys, California
I think we have a stacked backfield with Young, Sargent and IKM... but I have heard a lot that IKM is really turning heads this fall practice and is definitely going to be the Hawks go to home run threat as he is definitely the fastest, quickest (aka moves like Wadley) and if the line can give him some lanes to run...if he’s given the inch he will take the mile ... as for Young.. he’s a bruiser and definitely not any slouch.. he’s a powerful little back and will definitely grind out some tough yards when needed but I just see IKM as the feature back moving forward .. he reminds me of the RB from Washington Gaskin... who has extremely fast wheels and will burn you if given that inch .. I truly think we will have a 3 headed monster going into the season and someone (IKM) will separate themselves when Iowa lines up against Wisconsin..

All I know is it’s going to be fun to watch these cats kicking some ass all year long

For far too many years, Iowa suffered from insufficient RB depth. It ended up costing us games. I'm pretty confident that Ivory, Toren, and Mekhi will each earn their stripes this season ... and that we'll need each and every one of them. And that depth will help make us that much better of a team.

I think a lot of people are sleeping on IKM with Sargent coming in and making noise. Too me IKM was the second best back last year.

He is the most Wadley-esque of the returning backs in terms of doing the things you can't teach. He has the gear and moves to make people miss in space. Turning well-blocked 8-yard runs into 20+ yard runs is key to the Iowa offense being successful. We just need to see these guys play, the best 1-2 will separate themselves and get the majority of the time.

He is the most Wadley-esque of the returning backs in terms of doing the things you can't teach. He has the gear and moves to make people miss in space. Turning well-blocked 8-yard runs into 20+ yard runs is key to the Iowa offense being successful. We just need to see these guys play, the best 1-2 will separate themselves and get the majority of the time.
It also wonderfully complements Iowa's usage of TEs. Usually LBs are responsible for accounting for TEs and RBs. If a guy like Ivory can make LBs more "worried" about making sure that they're filling well ... they're likely going to be coming downhill that much harder. However, with play-action, that obviously penalizes LBs for being aggressive ... and we have the TEs to really make them pay.

Last edited:
I think Toren Young is our feature back this year. He's an animal and the best power back we have had since Greene.

IKM will be judiciously used this year, similar to to the way Wadley and Canzeri were utilized early in their careers. These small backs needs to be on pitch count early on to preserve their capabilities for when they are upperclassmen. I think Sargent sees more carries this year than IKM. IKM's greatest strength is receiving out of the backfield. He runs nice routes and appears to have decent hands.

What I really want to see is ISM involved in the running game off the jet sweep. Outside of Wadley, he is the most electric playmaker we have had since Dwight. Smith-Marsette is a true gamebreaker. Just needs to hold on to the ball and improve his football IQ.

Last edited:
I think Toren Young is our feature back this year. He's an animal and the best power back we have had since Greene.

IKM will be judiciously used this year, similar to to the way Wadley and Canzeri were utilized early in their careers. These small backs needs to be on pitch count early on to preserve their capabilities for when they are upperclassmen. I think Sargent sees more carries this year than IKM. IKM's greatest strength is receiving out of the backfield. He's runs nice routes and appears to have decent hands.

What I really want to see is ISM involved in the running game off the jet sweep. Outside of Wadley, he is the most electric playmaker we have had since Dwight. Smith-Marsette is a true gamebreaker. Just needs to hold on to the ball and improve his football IQ.

I agree, I think Toren is our guy out of the gate this year. No doubt, IKM and Mekhi are going to get utilized, a lot. In the little time we saw Toren run, he looked like a monster. But, I could also see Mekhi eating up some of IKMs time as well.

There's a good chance we also see Tyrone Tracy get some very early playing time, utilized in the way ISM was last year early on (ie jet sweeps). I suspect that guy is going to be a gamebreaker as well.

I agree, I think Toren is our guy out of the gate this year. No doubt, IKM and Mekhi are going to get utilized, a lot. In the little time we saw Toren run, he looked like a monster. But, I could also see Mekhi eating up some of IKMs time as well.

There's a good chance we also see Tyrone Tracy get some very early playing time, utilized in the way ISM was last year early on (ie jet sweeps). I suspect that guy is going to be a gamebreaker as well.
Why do people prefer big backs who don't hit the hole hard?

Reactions: The_Gent

You're crazy if you think Young doesn't hit hole hard. That's exactly what he does. The big back is essential to Iowa's gameplan and style of play. What I can't stand are backs like Damian Sims who go down from a gust of wind. Wegher was a bit like this as well, but he had other plus skills that offset his tacklebreaking ability.

Last edited:

Yeah, in the video you can see how slowly he hits the hole. Truly pathetic (insert eye roll)

FyeR5s.gif

M2AAiT.gif

You're crazy if you think Young doesn't hit hole hard. That's exactly what he does. The big back is essential to Iowa's gameplan and style of play. What I can't stand are backs like Damian Sims who go down from a gust of wind. Wegher was a bit like this as well, but he had other plus skills that offset his tacklebreaking ability.
IKM isn't a lightweight, don't compare him to Sims. He runs through the hole fast, with violence.

IKM isn't a lightweight, don't compare him to Sims. He runs through the hole fast, with violence.

I wasn't. I was stating why I have a preference for big backs.

IKM reminds me most of Canzeri, but with a little more mass. Canzeri was a master at glancing off tacklers to avoid the brunt of impact and squeezing out those few extra yards. Hopefully IKM has same characteristic.

IMO having several very capable guys and USING them is critical.
They move differently and cause the LBs to account for each guys ability.
To me IKM having success is key to Toren being successful as well as Fant.
A widely diverse offensive team makes everyones job easier.

I wasn't. I was stating why I have a preference for big backs.

IKM reminds me most of Canzeri, but with a little more mass. Canzeri was a master at glancing off tacklers to avoid the brunt of impact and squeezing out those few extra yards. Hopefully IKM has same characteristic.

But if you watched Canzeri early in his Hawkeye career he was exactly the kind of back you said you can’t stand “going down in a gust of wind”. It wasn’t until his last couple years after he had packed on the pounds he was able to “glance off tacklers”.

Reactions: cmhawks99
But if you watched Canzeri early in his Hawkeye career he was exactly the kind of back you said you can’t stand “going down in a gust of wind”. It wasn’t until his last couple years after he had packed on the pounds he was able to “glance off tacklers”.

Which is why I suggest that IKM be put on a pitch count, especially if he shows the tendency to get hit squarely and not wriggle out for extra yardage. We didn't have the luxury of waiting for Canzeri to develop.

Last edited:
if the OL has difficulty creating seams, the Toren will get the majority of the carries.

If the coaches are seeing space then I would assume IKM will get more work.

I think IKM has the potential to be the best RB we’ve had in Ferentz’s tenure. This year will prove it IMO.

I’m looking for this offense to makes strides, but to be held back by a lack of NFL caliber OL.

if the OL has difficulty creating seams, the Toren will get the majority of the carries.

If the coaches are seeing space then I would assume IKM will get more work.

I think IKM has the potential to be the best RB we’ve had in Ferentz’s tenure. This year will prove it IMO.

I’m looking for this offense to makes strides, but to be held back by a lack of NFL caliber OL.
I understand you're concern on the OL. Wirfs and Jackson are NFL caliber and KF has told the NFL the guy to watch this year is Render. Everything rides on the guard play.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Love IKM. Really good vision and quickness. I think Young could have more carries but IKM might have more yardage.
I'd agree totally with this, but we'll see what MS brings to the table. He could be the wild card, as we haven't seen him at all at this level, but he sure impressed at IWCC.

Also....I could run through those holes, that was great blocking, we can all hope for more of that.
The point was how hard he hit the hole, and clearly he had great burst through the initial hole, regardless of how well it was blocked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT