ADVERTISEMENT

IKM

Yeah.. I'm president of the IKM fan club

I'm the president of the Toren Young fan club. 2nd and 12 ruins a drive and Toren's less likely to end up in that position. Iowa struggled a bit last year with Wadley going down for losses, and yeah, I know a back like IKM brings an explosive threat on every play (like Wadley did) but to me staying on schedule matters most. Toren Young.

No, no you couldn't.
I'm the president of the Toren Young fan club. 2nd and 12 ruins a drive and Toren's less likely to end up in that position. Iowa struggled a bit last year with Wadley going down for losses, and yeah, I know a back like IKM brings an explosive threat on every play (like Wadley did) but to me staying on schedule matters most. Toren Young.
YOU'RE WRONG, IKM is a beast.

YOU'RE WRONG, IKM is a beast.

I'd love to be wrong about the math, but as of right now, this is the math:

Toren Young > Ivory Kelly Martin in terms of the following: size, ability to fall forward, physically punishing, and hanging on to the rock.

IKM has a lot of awesomeness about him too - don't be ashamed to be his fanclub President.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentz
I'd love to be wrong about the math, but as of right now, this is the math:

Toren Young > Ivory Kelly Martin in terms of the following: size, ability to fall forward, physically punishing, and hanging on to the rock.

IKM has a lot of awesomeness about him too - don't be ashamed to be his fanclub President.
Only thing I'd agree on is size, the fumbling can be stopped.

Every drive needs big plays, and that is what a back like Wadley brought to the table. Simply hoping to sustain a grind every time isn't going to get it done, and even the best big back is going to get stuffed if the line isn't opening a wide hole. We need both backs, and maybe not in every game. You go with the hot runner and the optimal situation.

I am just curious how the coaching staff is going to utilize all 3 of these backs without giving the opposing defenses any insider crap.. like 3rd and long.. they bring in Martin and take Young out.. obviously a passing play etc .. but I do hope the best man wins and we have one go to back that can provide us with the best possible outcome yardage wise.. I am sure the coaches are aware .. but all in all it should be an exiting year seeing these guys tote the rock ..

I believe all three guys are capable (as far as rbs go) pass catchers. In fact, early on, if I recollect correctly, it was young who was deemed to have the best hands.

I am just curious how the coaching staff is going to utilize all 3 of these backs without giving the opposing defenses any insider crap.. like 3rd and long.. they bring in Martin and take Young out.. obviously a passing play etc .. but I do hope the best man wins and we have one go to back that can provide us with the best possible outcome yardage wise.. I am sure the coaches are aware .. but all in all it should be an exiting year seeing these guys tote the rock ..

I thought this would happen as soon as BF and the coaches could fully trust him with ball security and blocking. It appears that has happened. He is a very gifted runner.

Bump.....
Cuz I'm right

To be fair, it has indeed been "reported" that IKM will be the 1st and 2nd down back. But that is kind of odd to me because in the past the Hawks have rotated backs for series, although I recall some backs were considered more of a 3rd down back (Damon Bullock?).

To be fair, it has indeed been "reported" that IKM will be the 1st and 2nd down back. But that is kind of odd to me because in the past the Hawks have rotated backs for series, although I recall some backs were considered more of a 3rd down back (Damon Bullock?).
Ferentz was quoted as saying he's a 4 down back... whatever that is

Reactions: David1979
My guess is that the Hawks will still rotate guys based on series and who has the "hot hand." I imagine that the personnel decision will also be strongly be influenced by how the guys look as they prep during game week. If one guy is practicing better than the others ... that likely could translate to more opportunities to get carries (if he makes the most of those carries).

All in all, I still expect that the coaches will ultimately use all 3 backs through the season. However, it will be interesting to see how the carries get distributed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT