ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois - Bert's Media Address

WinOneThisCentury II

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2021
Does he have a beef with KF these days? It was interesting because he talked about NW and Wisconsin as the teams to beat in the West, that they have won the West over the last several years, and then talked about what he learned at Wisconsin about teams being tough and physical. I couldn't help but think there was a slight in there somewhere for Iowa. After all...in the 11 years of the Big Ten Championship...Iowa has been the West winner just as many times as NW...twice.

Bert's a good interview...he's always good for a few anecdotes on what he's learned. He should maybe look at the tat on his leg to remember where he came from.

It got me thinking...Harbaugh said that some coaches think that because of where they are as programs (OSU)...they forget they started on third base. I think the case could be made for Bert at Wisconsin. Bert started on third base...and rode the coattails of Barry Alvarez. Alvarez, even during Bert's stint, still had a profound impact on the program.

Makes me really want to keep the win streak going against Illinois.

Does he have a beef with KF these days? It was interesting because he talked about NW and Wisconsin as the teams to beat in the West, that they have won the West over the last several years, and then talked about what he learned at Wisconsin about teams being tough and physical. I couldn't help but think there was a slight in there somewhere for Iowa. After all...in the 11 years of the Big Ten Championship...Iowa has been the West winner just as many times as NW...twice.

Bert's a good interview...he's always good for a few anecdotes on what he's learned. He should maybe look at the tat on his leg to remember where he came from.

It got me thinking...Harbaugh said that some coaches think that because of where they are as programs (OSU)...they forget they started on third base. I think the case could be made for Bert at Wisconsin. Bert started on third base...and rode the coattails of Barry Alvarez. Alvarez, even during Bert's stint, still had a profound impact on the program.

I don't think so. He worked for Kirk. I think they are on good terms. Bert missed the game last year in Kinnick as he had covid at the time.

All wrong, it’s…..

jabbathehutt-starwarsmay4.gif

I noticed that he was very "excited" about the changes in college FB regarding player movement and compensation. Chryst also.
Bert probably sees it as a chance to break the stranglehold in Big Ten West hierarchy while Chryst is trying not to look like an old man grumbling about change like KF.

Caught Brohms interview also.
Same attitude toward changes.
Mentioned Charlie and Tracy as guys wanting to showcase their past-catching skills at PU
Did not realize that QB O'Connell was a walk-on. Wow..walkon to #2 rated QB in the league. Hate Brohm.

Yeah...after thinking about it...there are several coaches I'm less than fond of. Here is my list worst a-hole to less worst a-hole.

1) Frost
2) Brohm
3) PT Barnum (Fleck)
4) Bert
5) Harbaugh

It's funny as I would have put Fitz in there a few years ago. I've actually gained respect for Fitz. He's had a couple of absolutely abysmal years between his two West Championships...and he's owned all of it. I also watched him take time out of a press conference to talk about Linderbaum...a technical glowing breakdown about what makes Tyler so special. It was pretty impressive.

Brohm is definitely making a run for #1. I guarantee you Purdue is circled on the calendar in KF's office. He won't admit it...but it's going to be a little extra for them this year. Phil Parker also has some extra motivation.

Yeah...after thinking about it...there are several coaches I'm less than fond of. Here is my list worst a-hole to less worst a-hole.

1) Frost
2) Brohm
3) PT Barnum (Fleck)
4) Bert
5) Harbaugh

It's funny as I would have put Fitz in there a few years ago. I've actually gained respect for Fitz. He's had a couple of absolutely abysmal years between his two West Championships...and he's owned all of it. I also watched him take time out of a press conference to talk about Linderbaum...a technical glowing breakdown about what makes Tyler so special. It was pretty impressive.

Brohm is definitely making a run for #1. I guarantee you Purdue is circled on the calendar in KF's office. He won't admit it...but it's going to be a little extra for them this year. Phil Parker also has some extra motivation.
How can you not like Frost? He wraps up Iowa wins like Christmas gifts.

1) Frost
2) Brohm
3) PT Barnum (Fleck)
4) Bert
5) Harbaugh

Odd 2

1) Frost
2) Brohm
3) PT Barnum (Fleck)
4) Bert
5) Harbaugh

Thats a big turd soup.

1) Frost
2) Brohm
3) PT Barnum (Fleck)
4) Bert
5) Harbaugh

How can you not put Franklin in the bottom third? Having your kids fake injuries for a competitive advantage is the worst.

How can you not put Franklin in the bottom third? Having your kids fake injuries for a competitive advantage is the worst.
Definitely Franklin. Him and Harbaugh battle it out for biggest dooooooooosssshhhhhh in the Big.

Frost and Fleck are idiots, but they also are pretty much insignificant, so it’s hard to waste much energy on them.

Reactions: LampoonYou
When he had his team fake injuries in last years game our coaches called out their teams “play call” to fake on the field, Franklin then has his own press conference to berate our fans for booing. As I recall even the booth announcers were calling it out. Franklin could easily be top dooshbag!!!!

When he had his team fake injuries in last years game our coaches called out their teams “play call” to fake on the field, Franklin then has his own press conference to berate our fans for booing. As I recall even the booth announcers were calling it out. Franklin could easily be top dooshbag!!!!
He is a snake.

he's less popular than brian ferentz among the iowa fan base so there's that
If that's true I'm guessing it's jealousy? Three bten titles (2 outright) and 3 straight Rose Bowls in a 7 season stint at Wisconsin speaks for itself and is better than what KF has pulled off in 23. Bert's teams at least kept them within 1 score and didn't get completely annihilated like Kirk did in his only trip to Pasadena. I don't get the hate for the guy being a former Hawk. He had Illinois at 4-5 his very first year, not a bad start

yeah...Franklin should have been there. He's a turd sandwich and a cheater. He's also just as nauseating at Fleck when he opens his mouth. Franklin deserves recognition in the top 5.

I would drop Bert to six just for dissing Iowa during his B10 interview. If you don't include the defending Champion in your assessment of teams to beat for the Championship...or teams that play physical tough football...you are doing it for a reason.

My guess is that he views Iowa as one of the main competitors for state of Illinois talent and there is no reason he would want to say anything positive about the Hawkeye program.

A few thoughts from an Illini fan:

1) I have never, ever gotten the impression Bielema has ill will toward Iowa. He probably just listed Wisconsin because they have both won the West the most and he’s familiar with that program. I wouldn’t be surprised, too, if he named Northwestern out of self promotion, as we demolished them last year and are mostly picked ahead of them this year. I think Bielema has a ton of respect for Ferentz’s program.

2) Many Illini fans have adopted “Bert” and do not really see it as a diss anymore … which I love, lol.

3) I’m not sure Bert is eyeing the Iowa job as much as some think. For one, there is very little precedent for a Big Ten coach to dip from one conference school to another, and imagine the Illinois —> Iowa switch would be more awkward than most. I get he has Iowa roots, but he’s also not that young and seems to be more than ready for the challenge that is rebuilding Illini football; the difference in effort and enthusiasm compared to Lovie is already astounding. Lastly, he’s on record as saying he grew up as an Illini fan. I guess he could just really want that return to Kinnick, but I don’t think that should be assumed as obvious.

A few thoughts from an Illini fan:

1) I have never, ever gotten the impression Bielema has ill will toward Iowa. He probably just listed Wisconsin because they have both won the West the most and he’s familiar with that program. I wouldn’t be surprised, too, if he named Northwestern out of self promotion, as we demolished them last year and are mostly picked ahead of them this year. I think Bielema has a ton of respect for Ferentz’s program.

2) Many Illini fans have adopted “Bert” and do not really see it as a diss anymore … which I love, lol.

3) I’m not sure Bert is eyeing the Iowa job as much as some think. For one, there is very little precedent for a Big Ten coach to dip from one conference school to another, and imagine the Illinois —> Iowa switch would be more awkward than most. I get he has Iowa roots, but he’s also not that young and seems to be more than ready for the challenge that is rebuilding Illini football; the difference in effort and enthusiasm compared to Lovie is already astounding. Lastly, he’s on record as saying he grew up as an Illini fan. I guess he could just really want that return to Kinnick, but I don’t think that should be assumed as obvious.
A few discussion points.

1) Probably right. Bielema did the right thing for his career moving on to K-State, He had spent his entire playing and coaching career up to that point as a player or coach at Iowa. He got to coach under Fry, Ferentz, Snyder, then Alvarez. A good way to work with a lot of great coaches. I don't think Bielema has ever necessarily had "ill will" toward Iowa but there is definitely something there when he plays Iowa. The 2007 game when a very mediocre Iowa team lost right at the end at Wisconsin and Bielema in his post-game interview on the field said Wisconsin is a "four quarter team" and they knew that was when they would win the game I know sat not well with KF. Iowa put in on Bucky in a big way in 2008, then won at Madison in 2009. Then 2010 happened at Bielema got the upper hand on Iowa before he left.

2) Best way to be is self-effacing. Coaches/fans that can make fun of themselves tend to be happier long term.

3) No way for us to know. Would he take the job if KF retired this year and Iowa offered it to him? I wouldn't rule it out. Dude has a Tiger Hawk tattoed on his leg. He's saying all the right things about loyalty to Illinois (as he should). I think this point is moot since I don't think the situation will ever be ideal for Bielema to move from Illinois to Iowa.

1) Frost
2) Brohm
3) PT Barnum (Fleck)
4) Bert
5) Harbaugh

Really? So the Purdue game is more important then the Wisconsin, game or Minnesota, or ??? It doesn't work like that. They all count the same, just ask Wisconsin and Minnesota. I can guarantee you that KF doesn't think that way. If he did they'd have been circled a long time ago..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT