ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois center Kofi Cockburn received racist messages and death threats after his team lost

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Illinois center Kofi Cockburn became the second college basketball player in recent days to call attention to racist and threatening messages he had received after his team suffered an upset loss in the NCAA tournament.

Cockburn shared one of the comments he received on Instagram on Sunday, after top-seeded Illinois lost to Loyola Chicago. “Go back home ya bum,” a user wrote. “F------ lost to Loyola. Go sit your monkey ass on the couch.” Cockburn, who was born in Jamaica and moved to New York in 2014, replied to a screenshot of the comment: “I blame his parents.”
The University of Illinois confirmed that it was looking into the posts.
On Saturday, E.J. Liddell of Ohio State wrote about being threatened and harassed on social media after the second-seeded Buckeyes fell to Oral Roberts. “I hope you die. I really do,” one user wrote. Other messages were racist.
AD

“Honestly, what did I do to deserve this?'' Liddell tweeted along with screenshots of several messages. “I’m human.'' He went on to say that “comments don’t get to me, but I just wanna know why. I’ve never done anything to anyone in my life to be approached like this. This is not me saying anything negative about Ohio State fans. I love you all dearly and I’ve felt nothing but appreciated since the first day I stepped on campus.”
Ohio State sources told ESPN that the school had contacted police. “Recent social media comments to E.J. Liddell, while not from our representative of Ohio State fans, are vile, dangerous and reflect the worst of humanity,” Buckeyes Coach Chris Holtmann said in a statement. “E.J. is an outstanding young man who had a tremendous sophomore season and he was instrumental in our team’s success. We will take the necessary actions to address this immediately.”
March Madness 2021: Everything you need to know
Liddell, a 20-year-old sophomore from Belleville, Ill., said the torrent “kinda messed me up a little bit. People just watch the TV but like, off the court, I have a mom, a little brother, a big sister and they all care for me dearly,” he told CNN Monday. “I know they don’t want me to be talked about like that.”
AD

The response to his tweets that called out the abuse focused on the success he and the team had. “Everybody’s been telling [me] how much of the great season we’ve had and how much of a great season I’ve had individually.”
But, he added, “everybody could say constructive criticism, but sometimes people go a little bit too far.”
The trolling drew immediate condemnation from Barkley on the tournament telecast. “Why would you sit at your house and tweet, or send something to a kid … after he lost a stupid basketball game to give him death threats or hurl racial slurs at him?” he said. “You need to take a good look in the mirror and realize you’re just a frickin’ loser.”

Haskell Garrett, a defensive lineman for the Ohio State football program, called out fans and rose to Liddell’s defense, tweeting, “WE ARE MORE THAN JUST ATHLETES.”
AD

“To Buckeye nation and to whomever sports fan this may concern, if you call yourself a fan and supporter of the scarlet and gray or really any college institution or organization — then you shouldn’t be there only for the highs, but also the lows,” Haskell tweeted. “We are people outside of our respected sports. The messages we as athletes receive when we are not victorious are cruel and inhuman. Just think if that was your son or daughter receiving such messages.”

I talked to the father of a D1 place kicker that had missed a fg that would have won the game. He told me that his son had received death threats due to missing the kick. The coaching staff told them that it was somewhat common because people bet big money on college games and become unhinged when they lose.

College athletes are human like everyone else. They will
not win every game they play. People who bet on these
games seem to take out their despair when they lose
money on the athletes involved. Gambling is a bitter
addiction and leads to radical reactions to losses.

I'm not sure if anyone saw the Ohio state guy that released his DMs but I'm assuming black people calling someone the N word is racist also right? The shit that was said to that guy was appalling.

Sad that people go after college kids for missing a shot or not playing well. Dont believe we will be able to change this unless social media requires usage of name and likeness to post or use app.

I cant even imagine what Gerry and Dan ( wide right 1 and 2 ) would have received if twitter was available in the early 90's. Both of those guys had it rough on campus right in their faces, social media would have been awful.

I talked to the father of a D1 place kicker that had missed a fg that would have won the game. He told me that his son had received death threats due to missing the kick. The coaching staff told them that it was somewhat common because people bet big money on college games and become unhinged when they lose.

Reactions: Rudolph and dgordo
Illinois center Kofi Cockburn became the second college basketball player in recent days to call attention to racist and threatening messages he had received after his team suffered an upset loss in the NCAA tournament.

Cockburn shared one of the comments he received on Instagram on Sunday, after top-seeded Illinois lost to Loyola Chicago. “Go back home ya bum,” a user wrote. “F------ lost to Loyola. Go sit your monkey ass on the couch.” Cockburn, who was born in Jamaica and moved to New York in 2014, replied to a screenshot of the comment: “I blame his parents.”
The University of Illinois confirmed that it was looking into the posts.
On Saturday, E.J. Liddell of Ohio State wrote about being threatened and harassed on social media after the second-seeded Buckeyes fell to Oral Roberts. “I hope you die. I really do,” one user wrote. Other messages were racist.
AD

“Honestly, what did I do to deserve this?'' Liddell tweeted along with screenshots of several messages. “I’m human.'' He went on to say that “comments don’t get to me, but I just wanna know why. I’ve never done anything to anyone in my life to be approached like this. This is not me saying anything negative about Ohio State fans. I love you all dearly and I’ve felt nothing but appreciated since the first day I stepped on campus.”
Ohio State sources told ESPN that the school had contacted police. “Recent social media comments to E.J. Liddell, while not from our representative of Ohio State fans, are vile, dangerous and reflect the worst of humanity,” Buckeyes Coach Chris Holtmann said in a statement. “E.J. is an outstanding young man who had a tremendous sophomore season and he was instrumental in our team’s success. We will take the necessary actions to address this immediately.”
March Madness 2021: Everything you need to know
Liddell, a 20-year-old sophomore from Belleville, Ill., said the torrent “kinda messed me up a little bit. People just watch the TV but like, off the court, I have a mom, a little brother, a big sister and they all care for me dearly,” he told CNN Monday. “I know they don’t want me to be talked about like that.”
AD

The response to his tweets that called out the abuse focused on the success he and the team had. “Everybody’s been telling [me] how much of the great season we’ve had and how much of a great season I’ve had individually.”
But, he added, “everybody could say constructive criticism, but sometimes people go a little bit too far.”
The trolling drew immediate condemnation from Barkley on the tournament telecast. “Why would you sit at your house and tweet, or send something to a kid … after he lost a stupid basketball game to give him death threats or hurl racial slurs at him?” he said. “You need to take a good look in the mirror and realize you’re just a frickin’ loser.”

Haskell Garrett, a defensive lineman for the Ohio State football program, called out fans and rose to Liddell’s defense, tweeting, “WE ARE MORE THAN JUST ATHLETES.”
AD

“To Buckeye nation and to whomever sports fan this may concern, if you call yourself a fan and supporter of the scarlet and gray or really any college institution or organization — then you shouldn’t be there only for the highs, but also the lows,” Haskell tweeted. “We are people outside of our respected sports. The messages we as athletes receive when we are not victorious are cruel and inhuman. Just think if that was your son or daughter receiving such messages.”

If true, that is very unfortunate, but why do YOU care? Is it your life mission to be nothing but a sh!t disturber?

I'm sorry, I'm sure what you say is true, but you're missing the point. The OP only posted this so he could continue his America is a racist awful place that't needs to be destroyed agenda.

Sad that people go after college kids for missing a shot or not playing well. Dont believe we will be able to change this unless social media requires usage of name and likeness to post or use app.

I cant even imagine what Gerry and Dan ( wide right 1 and 2 ) would have received if twitter was available in the early 90's. Both of those guys had it rough on campus right in their faces, social media would have been awful.

If people are truly messaging such garbage to college students/players then that is terrible...but can't the offenders be identified fairly easily? Even for a site such as HROT where things are anonymous between participants, the moderators have email addresses and so forth, do they not?

Track these jerks down and charge them as appropriate. Is this not achievable?

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
These are people that were never contributers in any athletic sport beyond junior high school, if that.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKGrad93
I’m friends with a kid’s family that missed a kick at Arkansas and Bielema called him out in the postgame. Death threats and harassment for weeks. Kid had to leave school. Don’t let Bret recruit your kid.
It doesn’t take much to push a Razorbacks fan over the edge. It’s all some of them have in life. That probably goes for a lot of places, though. But, yeah, Harrison...

I'm sorry, I'm sure what you say is true, but you're missing the point. The OP only posted this so he could continue his America is a racist awful place that't needs to be destroyed agenda.

I prefer the OP's message and agenda to your no big deal, can't do nothing about racism apologetics.

Newsflash: People like the OP are trying to make America better, not destroy it BTW. Your hysterics and denial of the problem are quite pathetic and sad.

Heck, even Weinke got death threats on his answering machine after that Nc State game.

Reactions: NoleinATL
America isn't racist!
- Looks online
Well, that's different...
There's no excuse for horrible behavior like this but gtf outta here with this shit. There are racists in America but a few racist tweets doesn't make the whole country racist.

If people are truly messaging such garbage to college students/players then that is terrible...but can't the offenders be identified fairly easily? Even for a site such as HROT where things are anonymous between participants, the moderators have email addresses and so forth, do they not?

Track these jerks down and charge them as appropriate. Is this not achievable?

I am not sure how difficult it is to track someone down via an anonymous screen name. I would think it would require IP addresses/internet providers but I could be mistaken

I am not sure how difficult it is to track someone down via an anonymous screen name. I would think it would require IP addresses/internet providers but I could be mistaken

With the screen name could not the site administrator then easily trace back to the offending email address? I can't think of anything that I am signed up for that someone, an administrator type, doesn't have my personal info.

Maybe I am missing something obvious here, but it seems like there is little recognition that there are some substantial, ready to go clues available to at least track down the people giving death threats.

I prefer the OP's message and agenda to your no big deal, can't do nothing about racism apologetics.

Newsflash: People like the OP are trying to make America better, not destroy it BTW. Your hysterics and denial of the problem are quite pathetic and sad.
Yaaaaa, the OP is trying to make America better:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Calling out everyone as a racist really brings people together. Calling your mother a trollop will really endure you to her.

There's no excuse for horrible behavior like this but gtf outta here with this shit. There are racists in America but a few racist tweets doesn't make the whole country racist.
How many racists tweets are required to get over the threshold?

Reactions: cigaretteman
I work with a guy that creates twitter accounts and pretends to be an ISU fan and trolls players and ISU people constantly as if he was one of them. He's an idiot. But he really, really gets his jollies from it. It makes me wonder how many people are out there like him.

I work with a guy that creates twitter accounts and pretends to be an ISU fan and trolls players and ISU people constantly as if he was one of them. He's an idiot. But he really, really gets his jollies from it. It makes me wonder how many people are out there like him.
Some are reading and replying to this thread.

Yaaaaa, the OP is trying to make America better:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Calling out everyone as a racist really brings people together. Calling your mother a trollop will really endure you to her.

I do not really care what OP’s agenda is or yours for that matter. The bottom line is that this is news, whether you like it or not. Burying your head in the sand is not going to make it go away. We need these people to be called out. They should even be prosecuted for threatening another person. There is no excuse for attacking an athlete and calling them names because they lost a game, even if you decide to put money on the game. Get over it and move on with your life.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Despite finishing his college career having made 58 of 79 field-goals attempts (73.4 percent), McAfee didn't leave West Virginia on great terms.

That’s pretty bad even for a college kicker, isn’t it? The fans should be mad at the coach for not recruiting a better kicker, not this jabroni!

Proof that he doesn't get racist messages? Of course I don't have proof. Do you think it would be as problematic if he was a black athlete?
Any racist message is problematic. Any hateful message directed towards anyone is problematic including the daily ones on this board.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT