ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois center Kofi Cockburn received racist messages and death threats after his team lost

You're the one that responded to my post. I answered your question but you won't answer mine
If JBo was black and a hateful message was sent to him, no it wouldn’t be any different than it is since he’s white. I already answered that, a hateful message is problematic whether racist or not.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
How many racists tweets are required to get over the threshold?
Good question. I'd say enough to extrapolate to the entire country. What would be your answer?

In this time of social media, every view is spoken. So, I'd be hesitant to take even 200 nasty messages and say it's representative of the whole country. Certainly not 3.

Good question. I'd say enough to extrapolate to the entire country. What would be your answer?

In this time of social media, every view is spoken. So, I'd be hesitant to take even 200 nasty messages and say it's representative of the whole country. Certainly not 3.
Justify. Go ahead, justify.

I'm sorry, I'm sure what you say is true, but you're missing the point. The OP only posted this so he could continue his America is a racist awful place that't needs to be destroyed agenda.
Honeypot, you are so fragile. Just so fragile.

Reactions: torbee
Ok fùcktwat. Lol.
VastUglyAfricanrockpython-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Rudolph
Oh look, a new poster. Welcome to hrot totally new poster!

and...? Are you one of those "if he doesn't have a lot of followers, his tweet is irrelevant" guys?

FYI, been here a long time...just under a different name.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkMD
“Death threat” is basically meaningless in modern society.

I would guess the odds of somebody following through on an online death threat is so small it isn’t even calculable.

and...? Are you one of those "if he doesn't have a lot of followers, his tweet is irrelevant" guys?

Ooooooohhhhh…under a different name. That never occurred to me. I thought you just wandered in and started talking shit from the get go.
But a new user name…wow, that’s a new one!

Ooooooohhhhh…under a different name. That never occurred to me. I thought you just wandered in and started talking shit from the get go.
But a new user name…wow, that’s a new one!
who's talking sh**?

I often wonder. What is the need to change names all about? Looking for a fresh start? It’s a “new me”.
Wanna keep my new actions on the down low?

Reactions: HawkMD and Moral
I'm sorry, I'm sure what you say is true, but you're missing the point. The OP only posted this so he could continue his America is a racist awful place that't needs to be destroyed agenda.
Nah, we post stuff like this so people like you feel pressured to stop being horrible. You sure got triggered. Appears to be working! 🙂

Some of you guys really like to run with stuff and create your own narratives.

I've not been here under a "bunch of names", just one.

As for my initial response...I tend to think painting large groups of people (whether it be by Nationality, race, religion, whatever) is a bad way to go. Ironically, it's at the foundation of the racism Belemnole would seem to be calling out. You may feel differently.

Whatever the case, I'm not interested in taking the bait. Enjoy the game, GO Hawks!!!

As for my initial response...I tend to think painting large groups of people (whether it be by Nationality, race, religion, whatever) is a bad way to go. Ironically, it's at the foundation of the racism Belemnole would seem to be calling out. You may feel differently.

Whatever the case, I'm not interested in taking the bait. Enjoy the game, GO Hawks!!!
Careful now, he is gonna go all furious and bonso.
His/her grammar does eliminate some trolls, tho capitalizing nationality is a bit curious.

Reactions: BelemNole

What was your just one name before?

Illinois center Kofi Cockburn became the second college basketball player in recent days to call attention to racist and threatening messages he had received after his team suffered an upset loss in the NCAA tournament.

Cockburn shared one of the comments he received on Instagram on Sunday, after top-seeded Illinois lost to Loyola Chicago. “Go back home ya bum,” a user wrote. “F------ lost to Loyola. Go sit your monkey ass on the couch.” Cockburn, who was born in Jamaica and moved to New York in 2014, replied to a screenshot of the comment: “I blame his parents.”
The University of Illinois confirmed that it was looking into the posts.
On Saturday, E.J. Liddell of Ohio State wrote about being threatened and harassed on social media after the second-seeded Buckeyes fell to Oral Roberts. “I hope you die. I really do,” one user wrote. Other messages were racist.
AD

“Honestly, what did I do to deserve this?'' Liddell tweeted along with screenshots of several messages. “I’m human.'' He went on to say that “comments don’t get to me, but I just wanna know why. I’ve never done anything to anyone in my life to be approached like this. This is not me saying anything negative about Ohio State fans. I love you all dearly and I’ve felt nothing but appreciated since the first day I stepped on campus.”
Ohio State sources told ESPN that the school had contacted police. “Recent social media comments to E.J. Liddell, while not from our representative of Ohio State fans, are vile, dangerous and reflect the worst of humanity,” Buckeyes Coach Chris Holtmann said in a statement. “E.J. is an outstanding young man who had a tremendous sophomore season and he was instrumental in our team’s success. We will take the necessary actions to address this immediately.”
March Madness 2021: Everything you need to know
Liddell, a 20-year-old sophomore from Belleville, Ill., said the torrent “kinda messed me up a little bit. People just watch the TV but like, off the court, I have a mom, a little brother, a big sister and they all care for me dearly,” he told CNN Monday. “I know they don’t want me to be talked about like that.”
AD

The response to his tweets that called out the abuse focused on the success he and the team had. “Everybody’s been telling [me] how much of the great season we’ve had and how much of a great season I’ve had individually.”
But, he added, “everybody could say constructive criticism, but sometimes people go a little bit too far.”
The trolling drew immediate condemnation from Barkley on the tournament telecast. “Why would you sit at your house and tweet, or send something to a kid … after he lost a stupid basketball game to give him death threats or hurl racial slurs at him?” he said. “You need to take a good look in the mirror and realize you’re just a frickin’ loser.”

Haskell Garrett, a defensive lineman for the Ohio State football program, called out fans and rose to Liddell’s defense, tweeting, “WE ARE MORE THAN JUST ATHLETES.”
AD

“To Buckeye nation and to whomever sports fan this may concern, if you call yourself a fan and supporter of the scarlet and gray or really any college institution or organization — then you shouldn’t be there only for the highs, but also the lows,” Haskell tweeted. “We are people outside of our respected sports. The messages we as athletes receive when we are not victorious are cruel and inhuman. Just think if that was your son or daughter receiving such messages.”

I don't think this is uncommon... we've heard this story before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT