ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois Dual Thoughts

so cal hawkfan

HR All-American
Jun 5, 2012
Whittier CA
Illinois has a surprisingly solid lineup on paper and depending on who the Hawks throw out there we should see some really great matches.

125- Whoever Illinois throws out there, their mothers should hate Spencer after the beating.

133- Byrd is tough, but got upset over the weekend. I imagine we’ll see Cullen again as Byrds motor is a lot for someone to handle in their first match back from injury.

141- Woods looks great and should roll.

149- Murin should be in bonus point territory here.

157- Hopefully Seibrecht is back healthy in the lineup, if he’s healthy we see bonus.

165- Big test for Kennedy vs Braunagel. Would love to see him pull off the upset.

174- Brands was reported to be returning vs Illinois, so hopefully we see him. Ruth has looked great so far, steadily climbing the rankings. Tough test for Nelson here.

184- Assad has a tough test vs the Freshman Connell. Abe looked pretty solid at the Salute, would love to see him continue to build on that.

197- JWar matches up vs the other Braunagel. Both guys are stingy on defense, so I anticipate a low scoring match.

Hwt- Looking for Big Tony to bring the pain here.

Iowa should be favored in 7 out of 10 bouts, I’d love to see the Hawks win those swing matches and make a statement.

Unless PK is still sick or whatever was affecting his cardio at Soldier Salute, he will beat the shit outta Braunagel. And yes I saw Braunagel beat Hall at Midlands.
I don't know if he beats the shit out of him as Braunagel is usually stingy but if Kennedy is to be considered a legit AA threat this is a match he needs to be taking care of.

Kennedy over Braunagel would be an upset?
As stated if Kennedy is going to be on the podium in March Braunagel is a gatekeeper type wrestler in his path. Currently on paper Flo has Braunagel at #11 and Kennedy at #17. Intermat has Kennedy at # 13 and Braunagel at #15. The Intermat rankings are before Braunagel upset #5 Peyton Hall. My objective money is on Kennedy, but I think it’s going to be close.

The 165 Braunagel has beaten everyone put in front of him. This will be a good match for Kennedy. If he beats Braunagel by more than 2 I will be surprised.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
The 165 Braunagel has beaten everyone put in front of him. This will be a good match for Kennedy. If he beats Braunagel by more than 2 I will be surprised.
He has been wrestling well this year. Last year he was struggling some.

I agree. He might have been up a weight last year also, I’m not sure.
he was still at 165. big braunagel is up a weight this year. i think little might have been banged up. he certainly wasn't the same guy.

Byrd will be a tough out for Cullen. 165, 174, 184, and 197 will all be tough, close matches. These are the matches the Hawks have got to start winning. We always seem to lose a couple of these toss up matchups in recent duals. If all the starters go (other than 133) and the Hawks win 9 matches that would be a great showing, 8 wins would be good, 7 would be very ho hum, and 6 or less would be disappointing to say the least. I'm nervous that Abe will not be himself if he even goes, which will make that match a toss up too unfortunately.

Byrd will be a tough out for Cullen. 165, 174, 184, and 197 will all be tough, close matches. These are the matches the Hawks have got to start winning. We always seem to lose a couple of these toss up matchups in recent duals. If all the starters go (other than 133) and the Hawks win 9 matches that would be a great showing, 8 wins would be good, 7 would be very ho hum, and 6 or less would be disappointing to say the least. I'm nervous that Abe will not be himself if he even goes, which will make that match a toss up too unfortunately.
I think, and this is just my opinion, that other teams game plan and film study for us more or better than we do others. I go back to Kem vs *occi. If you let Kem get close and work from a tie you’re dead meat. Example Guitar star and Starocci the first time. At NCAA’s every step Kem took forward Starocci took a step back. He did this the whole match until he took his shot as Kem was walking forward as he did the whole match. Film study goes a long way when 2 guys are close in talent.

I think, and this is just my opinion, that other teams game plan and film study for us more or better than we do others. I go back to Kem vs *occi. If you let Kem get close and work from a tie you’re dead meat. Example Guitar star and Starocci the first time. At NCAA’s every step Kem took forward Starocci took a step back. He did this the whole match until he took his shot as Kem was walking forward as he did the whole match. Film study goes a long way when 2 guys are close in talent.
I agree 100%. Game planning doesn't seem to be one of TnT's strengths. Just imposing your will on the other guy doesn't work anymore unless you are a much better wrestler, which isn't the case in these toss up matches.

ADS barely beat Byrd at B10's I believe when ADS had the finger issue. He was better thankfully by NCAA's and rolled everybody not named RBY again. I don't remember the dual so I will take your word for it js8793.

5-0 spent a lot of time underneath if i remember. i'd expect something similar this time out.
Byrd is savvy and very difficult to score on, if Cullen can close the gap a bit I would be happy.
I would say PK taking a win even if its close would be great, Braunagel is very solid and wrestling well. Ruth is wrestling very well, I hope Nelson brings the Heat and comes up big here.

What if I told you Marinelli beat Braunagel 14-2? If he beat him by 2 or less I’d be surprised.

Bren wrestled both 165 (Braunagel) and 174 (Ruth) at WTT this past summer.

I haven’t followed either as of the past couple weeks, but I know they both got off to good starts. I wanna say Ruth started out by winning his first 12 out of 13 matches this season or something.

We’ve seen the Braunagel guys at local youth tourneys since like 2010 now. 😆

Reactions: WEH8ST8HAWK
What if I told you Marinelli beat Braunagel 14-2? If he beat him by 2 or less I’d be surprised.
I agree with this. Also agree braunagel has looked much improved. But…PK tends to struggle against quick and slick wrestlers, not defensive plodders. This is the exact type of opponent pk should be able to control. If he can’t, that’s very bad news for his chances at a podium spot. Wouldn’t be surprised at any outcome but if I had to call it i would say 6-3 pk.

Love PK and his future as a Hawk but this match concerns me a bit. I think he wins the match but something like 6-3. Hoping to see Teske at 133 if it is Teske look for a close match and he does have a shot at winning. As for Nelson I just don’t know, love the kid and his family just a tough task in front of him. A couple of weeks off defiantly does not help the situation. Assad has to win this and win it convincingly for me to feel good about Abe. I like where Abe is compared to years past but he needs to keep improving. Remember how close he was to beating Coleman….

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I hope Schreiver gets a chance to avenge the loss to Byrd. He has the bad arm but has seemed to begin to work around it for takedowns, albeit competition at SS. I dont know how injured Abe is but if he is 100%, I think he wins comfortably. Brands is Brands with good opponents, he is 50/50. Looking forward to Sunday with Ramos vs Lee and Colmann vs Seibricht. I dont think Cobe wins but this is going to be a good match to see where he is at come B10s.

Illinois always the vanilla ice cream of the Big 10 with lots of top 15-30 gate keepers. Byrd is fun to watch though.

Just renewed Big10+ for this duel.
F_Image-Pistol-Dueling-Its-Etiquette-and-Rules.jpg

We like our guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT