ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois Dual Thread

You can cherry pick matches all you want, but as a whole for the season this team has been boring to watch. I can’t remember a more limited offensive team in a long time. If you haven’t seen it it’s because you don’t want to or don’t know what you’re watching.
Stay tuned

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
For that lineup Bob,

133 could easily not be AA
149 could easily not AA
174 could easily not AA
184 could easily not AA
197 very unlikely AA

125 is possibly mid to low AA
141 title contended
157 Hopefully mid to high AA
165 hopefully mid to high AA
285 high AA

They better be bringing in 2 title contenders if they want to be in discussion to win it. It's been a lot more than 1 meet. From 2010 to 2020 they were not getting it done. They got some better recruits and fortunate transfers and had a good two years but quickly slipping back to pre 2020 form.
I mostly agree which is why we need 2 studs to come in

Believe we ll get some points out of the 3 other weaker weights

Most of what's being discussed has some validity, but you do realize Warner placed 2nd last season, or am i missing something. He is having a bad streak and is dinged up, he will be ready come march... he is a gamer!
Bob's lineup is for next year. Warner is gone.

Reactions: Grip220
Do tell where I'm wrong, with the one possible exception being Warner, who definitely shows up at NCAAs. Cass was top 3 first couple years; 7th last year; SL of course is 1; Murin R12 every year; Warner in the finals last year so yes, improved at NCAAs each year; Kennedy is in his first year as a starter...he came as a hammer and is still a hammer. So aside from Warner's improvements at NCAAs, please do tell me about the other improvements. I think I have a good grip on reality but perhaps I'm missing something. And I'm not trying to bash the program; I'm merely stating that I'm not seeing improvements based on where they were then and the ladder they've climbed in March through the years...

We're talking about improvements at the D1 level. Not a whole lot of guys are making huge jumps between seasons. The gains and improvements tend to be incremental. You're judging how good or bad they are off of one tournament last year. THat's also reliant on things like injuries and strength of the field. Those guys are all better wrestlers than when they got here.

Spencer is more diverse on his feet than when he got here.

Murin is better in nearly every facet, evidenced this year by his increased bonus percentage. Does that mean he will AA? No. He's not a super dynamic talent, and thus his margin for error against AA level guys tends to be small.

Kennedy is tough because we're judging him mostly from his high school tape given limited college experience, but those early years tend to be when the biggest jumps happen these days, and he definitely looks better than he did in high school. Look at his most recent win over BRaunagel. He put up 15 points while majoring him. Last year, Alex Marinelli beat Braunagel 4-1.

Warner you're already conceding so I'll move past.

If you don't see the improvements with Cass, I don't know what to tell you. He's wrestling a bunch better since he started, and one bad tournament last year doesn't change that. The body change is obviously the most physically apparent improvement, but he's pinning more people, putting up points, and reliably stingy on defense as well. You could make a fair case that Big Cass is Iowa's most complete wrestler (not best, obviously). He doesn't really have a "weakness" other than the fact that other wrestlers are also good.

We're talking about improvements at the D1 level. Not a whole lot of guys are making huge jumps between seasons. The gains and improvements tend to be incremental. You're judging how good or bad they are off of one tournament last year. THat's also reliant on things like injuries and strength of the field. Those guys are all better wrestlers than when they got here.

Murin is better in nearly every facet, evidenced this year by his increased bonus percentage. Does that mean he will AA? No. He's not a super dynamic talent, and thus his margin for error against AA level guys tends to be small.

Kennedy is tough because we're judging him mostly from his high school tape given limited college experience, but those early years tend to be when the biggest jumps happen these days, and he definitely looks better than he did in high school. Look at his most recent win over BRaunagel. He put up 15 points while majoring him. Last year, Alex Marinelli beat Braunagel 4-1.

If you don't see the improvements with Cass, I don't know what to tell you. He's wrestling a bunch better since he started, and one bad tournament last year doesn't change that. The body change is obviously the most physically apparent improvement, but he's pinning more people, putting up points, and reliably stingy on defense as well. You could make a fair case that Big Cass is Iowa's most complete wrestler (not best, obviously). He doesn't really have a "weakness" other than the fact that other wrestlers are also good.
agree with everything except this. skinny tony is not an improvement imo

[
agree with everything except this. skinny tony is not an improvement imo
Brick Shithouse Cass is a massive improvement. You're talking about shedding fat and replacing it with muscle.
That amount of weight doesn't do much when you're already that big. If he lost 70lbs then yeah, maybe that's an issue, but I can't imagine it's that much.

To my he looks healthier, obviously fitter, and quicker. With him being more fit I also have to assume he can train harder and longer, which boosts his cardio and all around gives him a bigger tank.
For crying out loud he's doing sprints after each match to cool down. I don't recall ever seeing him run like that his 1st two seasons.

His physical transformation is absolutely incredible. I can't believe people are still hung up on this and have their doubts thinking Fat Cass is the better Cass.

I'll give you some of that. As for PK's win vice Alex's win, Alex was a much different person his last year...he beat most by very little.

ADVERTISEMENT