ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois RB sitting out season due to Covid concerns

Headline implies health concerns. Article shows he's more concerned with the season getting canceled halfway through and his eligibility is done.

I would rather it be health concerns. You might see more kids consider this.
My kid lost his baseball season 8 games in, almost worse than not playing at all

Headline implies health concerns. Article shows he's more concerned with the season getting canceled halfway through and his eligibility is done.

True. Really interesting though because it would suck to use your final season for say 6 games and not even get a bowl game.

Reactions: MrsScrew
I honestly was curious to see if any seniors who didn't red shirt would do this. First case I've read about. I doubt they would but for Iowa have guys like Brandon Smith & ISM who could do it technically.

Total BS as is the whole Covid issue. It will start hitting the fan sooner than later as to how big a hoax this is.
This is not a hoax. My cousin who is a mother of three just contracted it while staying with people like you, who think it is a hoax. She now is at risk of infecting a 4 month old with it along with her two other kids. People like you need to look around and understand how serious this is and what is doing to our country.

Total BS as is the whole Covid issue. It will start hitting the fan sooner than later as to how big a hoax this is.

What are people basing this conclusion on? Look at the Marlins. Look at all the July hotspots. They are full of people with your thought process.

This is not a hoax. My cousin who is a mother of three just contracted it while staying with people like you, who think it is a hoax. She now is at risk of infecting a 4 month old with it along with her two other kids. People like you need to look around and understand how serious this is and what is doing to our country.
So your cousin wasn't wearing a mask when the situation called for a mask. Smart.

Reactions: pmtdc
tenor.gif

Cults, you should really consider leaving your cult. Saying the same thing as your other cult members probably gets dumb after the 400 times that others said the exact same thing that you posted.

While people who think like him are part of the problem, that doesn't = cancel sports/cancel life outside your homes.

We need to stop letting these people's actions ruin things for everyone else. By any means necessary, if we must...................:)

Reactions: CalmHawk
Not that I want to put myself in the middle of the firing line, but from reports I hear Covid 19 seems to only be life threatening to the elderly or people who have underlying health issues such as heart or lung problems. For those who don't have health issues, you have over a 99% chance of survival if you contract it. I know several people who contracted it, and of those the majority said they had no idea they had it as they felt nothing. The couple others I know said they thought they had a cold. So, people are going to believe what they wish, but I believe herd immunity is the only way we get past this.

Not that I want to put myself in the middle of the firing line, but from reports I hear Covid 19 seems to only be life threatening to the elderly or people who have underlying health issues such as heart or lung problems. For those who don't have health issues, you have over a 99% chance of survival if you contract it. I know several people who contracted it, and of those the majority said they had no idea they had it as they felt nothing. The couple others I know said they thought they had a cold. So, people are going to believe what they wish, but I believe herd immunity is the only way we get past this.

I have known people that have had it and been hospitalized and said it is worse that a cold. All that other info you posted is from a March article.

What are people basing this conclusion on? Look at the Marlins. Look at all the July hotspots. They are full of people with your thought process.
Pretty sure the Marlins didn't get this from playing baseball. What I heard is a bunch of the team went clubbing and I'm pretty sure no one there was wearing a mask or social distancing.....

Pretty sure the Marlins didn't get this from playing baseball. What I heard is a bunch of the team went clubbing and I'm pretty sure no one there was wearing a mask or social distancing.....
See so there it is. Sports will be fine if the athletes are smart about not going to bars nightclubs etc. BTW Covid numbers up death rates way down. Hmmmm

Pretty sure that is the problem. People want normal, but everytime they push, something like this happens.

While people who think like him are part of the problem, that doesn't = cancel sports/cancel life outside your homes.

We need to stop letting these people's actions ruin things for everyone else. By any means necessary, if we must...................:)
I get that and I agree. I just think people who think all this is just a joke are the problem. Those are the people who will keep us from having a season.

I have known people that have had it and been hospitalized and said it is worse that a cold. All that other info you posted is from a March article.
LOL, well, I have a lot of friends who work at Tyson, and they had over 700 people test positive a couple months ago. The majority of them I know said they felt nothing. Now, I also have a friend who works at a retirement home and she told me that 68% of the people who got it there died. This tells me, along with things I have heard on TV that Covid is dangerous mostly to the elderly and to people with underlying health conditions, So, you can make your own call on that. We have doctors all over TV saying things that range from it is not a big deal for the young and healthy to its an apocalypse for everyone. I guess it depends on who you watch and who you know. Me, I am 56 and diabetic, and so far I have not missed a day of work due to Covid. I don't feel essential, but apparently my boss does, but I don't really worry about whether or not I catch it. Of course, I live my life that when it's my time to go, it doesn't matter how fast I run. ;)

I keep seeing that CV-19 "is serious, but"...elderly and underlying conditions. I see the underlying conditions referred to as if they're rare things. Here's the CDC's list of complicating factors:

People of any age with the following conditions are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19:

• Cancer
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
  • Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
  • Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 or higher)
  • Serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
  • Sickle cell disease
  • Type 2 diabetes mellitus
COVID-19 is a new disease. Currently there are limited data and information about the impact of underlying medical conditions and whether they increase the risk for severe illness from COVID-19. Based on what we know at this time, people with the following conditions might be at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19:

• Asthma (moderate-to-severe)
  • Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Hypertension or high blood pressure
  • Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines
  • Neurologic conditions, such as dementia
Liver disease
Pregnancy
Pulmonary fibrosis (having damaged or scarred lung tissues)
Smoking
Thalassemia (a type of blood disorder)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus

You can't hoax up that many dead bodies and people on ventilators. This thing is real and at least twice as dangerous as the flu, and it coexists with the flu virus. Your immune system can be weak from something as simple as low vitamin D, you don't necessarily have to have some condition. This thing tries really hard to get in your lungs and clot your blood. If it managers either threshold, you're in for a rough time.

LOL, well, I have a lot of friends who work at Tyson, and they had over 700 people test positive a couple months ago. The majority of them I know said they felt nothing. Now, I also have a friend who works at a retirement home and she told me that 68% of the people who got it there died. This tells me, along with things I have heard on TV that Covid is dangerous mostly to the elderly and to people with underlying health conditions, So, you can make your own call on that. We have doctors all over TV saying things that range from it is not a big deal for the young and healthy to its an apocalypse for everyone. I guess it depends on who you watch and who you know. Me, I am 56 and diabetic, and so far I have not missed a day of work due to Covid. I don't feel essential, but apparently my boss does, but I don't really worry about whether or not I catch it. Of course, I live my life that when it's my time to go, it doesn't matter how fast I run. ;)
They are now finding heart damage and lung damage in asymptotic people and say 33% could have long term health effects.

No not a hoax, but look at the data - since June 6 2.5 million new cases, 37,000 deaths. That's 1.5%. That's FLU territory. But what is scary are irrational reactions like yours

Reactions: RothMatt
Hoax, seriously......The whole world has decided to perpetuate this hoax.....Come on man.......Nobody likes this but it’s the cards we’ve been dealt, how we respond disinvestment us, so far in America ,we ain’t looking to good because people don’t want to grasp reality.

Hoax, seriously......The whole world has decided to perpetuate this hoax.....Come on man.......Nobody likes this but it’s the cards we’ve been dealt, how we respond disinvestment us, so far in America ,we ain’t looking to good because people don’t want to grasp reality.

Well, the reality is less than a half of a percent are dying from this. Actual numbers way less than that even considering all infections that aren't known or reported. But you do you

Agree it is not a hoax. For people over 70 or those with compromised immune systems, it definitely is real and those folks should be protected in whatever way possible. It doesn't mean that the reaction hasn't been over-wrought or wrong, especially for most age groups.

In the state of Missouri where I live (it's just the data I'm familiar with), with a population of over 6 million people, a grand total of 1 person has died from COVID under the age of 19. One. A total of 35 people in the 20-50 year old age group in Missouri have died from COVID. Missouri doesn't have auto fatality data broken out by age, but over the last decade between 750 and 950 people per year have died in car accidents in Missouri. My guess is way more than 35 people ages 20-50 have died in car accidents in Missouri each of those years. Over the last 5 years, Missouri has averaged more than 1,000 flu-related deaths each flu season. I'm not saying COVID is the flu. It's not. In terms of risk, however, if you are under age 70 it's less lethal than the seasonal flu, and you are far more likely to die in a car accident. And for school-age children or younger, it's statistically a non-event. More kids will die this year from falling down the stairs than from COVID.

Anyone who says COVID isn't real or shouldn't be taken seriously is just idiotic. But is it possible that our reaction of isolating everyone from another regardless of age or risk category, or shuttering businesses and skyrocketing depression and suicides due to closing schools might not have been the best way to address this?

Well, the reality is less than a half of a percent are dying from this. Actual numbers way less than that even considering all infections that aren't known or reported. But you do you

So you are good with 1 in 200 americans dying and are will to take that chance with you and your family and friends?

Agree it is not a hoax. For people over 70 or those with compromised immune systems, it definitely is real and those folks should be protected in whatever way possible. It doesn't mean that the reaction hasn't been over-wrought or wrong, especially for most age groups.

In the state of Missouri where I live (it's just the data I'm familiar with), with a population of over 6 million people, a grand total of 1 person has died from COVID under the age of 19. One. A total of 35 people in the 20-50 year old age group in Missouri have died from COVID. Missouri doesn't have auto fatality data broken out by age, but over the last decade between 750 and 950 people per year have died in car accidents in Missouri. My guess is way more than 35 people ages 20-50 have died in car accidents in Missouri each of those years. Over the last 5 years, Missouri has averaged more than 1,000 flu-related deaths each flu season. I'm not saying COVID is the flu. It's not. In terms of risk, however, if you are under age 70 it's less lethal than the seasonal flu, and you are far more likely to die in a car accident. And for school-age children or younger, it's statistically a non-event. More kids will die this year from falling down the stairs than from COVID.

Anyone who says COVID isn't real or shouldn't be taken seriously is just idiotic. But is it possible that our reaction of isolating everyone from another regardless of age or risk category, or shuttering businesses and skyrocketing depression and suicides due to closing schools might not have been the best way to address this?

Regarding your first paragraph, social distancing and mask wearing by everyone in public is how you take precautions for the at risk groups you posted, but people refuse to acknowledge that fact.

Some of it has to do with people discerning the difference between people being infected and people dying.

Marlin players go clubbing, get infected, social distancing and mask wearing ignored in Florida, Texas, California, people get infected and death tolls start to mount.

People thinking they will be fine, and are actually spreading this stuff more. 1 in 200 Americans dead. Could be your childs teacher, coach, aunt pastor, mentor, etc. But keep telling people they wont die. Truth is someone close to you or in your community will likely die. All because we want to go back to normal.

No not a hoax, but look at the data - since June 6 2.5 million new cases, 37,000 deaths. That's 1.5%. That's FLU territory. But what is scary are irrational reactions like yours

Did you just compare it to the FLU using 1 month of data compared to a years worth of data?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT